Expecta Lipil Vitamins - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question. One of my friends gave me a TON of samples of Expecta Lipil DHA Supplements for nursing and pregnant moms. I know I've seen them in the stores before, but was wondering if anyone has taken them, and if they can be taken in conjunction with my prenatals that I'm still on. Should I just ask my OB? Didn't know if anyone has had experience with this or not. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My understanding is that the DHA in Expecta (as well as in Enfamil Lipil) comes from some type of artificially grown mold. More importantly, it is made and sold by Mead Johnson who makes Enfamil. I personally would never give $ to a formula company unless I had no choice because my child had a medical need for formula.

Taking fish oil from a reputable natural supplement company will give you the benefits of real DHA.
#3 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't touch it. I don't trust formula companies.

-Angela

#4 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckw View Post
My understanding is that the DHA in Expecta (as well as in Enfamil Lipil) comes from some type of artificially grown mold.
GROSS!!! Really?? Trust the formula companies to not even use a natural source of EFA in a vitamin. If it's produced in a lab it must be better.

I take Nordic Naturals fish oil for an EFA supplement. They do extensive 3rd party testing on mercury content and I feel really good about supporting them as a company. I also would put those Expecta samples in the garbage.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#5 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 12:41 AM

I took this while I was pg and I'm taking it now while I'm nursing. Both my ob and my pedi recommended them. I'm also still taking my prenatal. HTH.

Producing great kids since 2006!
#6 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 AM

I took the five pills that were in a sample pack I got and they made me burp with a taste like fish.
#7 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
I took this while I was pg and I'm taking it now while I'm nursing. Both my ob and my pedi recommended them. I'm also still taking my prenatal. HTH.
mmmhhhmmmm... and what kind of freebies do your ped and ob get from formula companies?

Just sayin'....

-Angela
#8 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 AM

I took the samples from the ob but then found out how unnatural they were. (I never got why the package bragged about it being from a non-animal source.) So then I got some cheapy fish oil from costco & read the label a month or so later. "Fish, soy" Aaack! Pg & nursing moms shouldn't have soy, right?

#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 AM

I say if they were free and it won't actually hurt you or your baby to take them, then take em'. You're not giving money to formula companies because you didn't buy them and you aren't going to be proving anything to anyone by throwing them away. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I am sure they are not that bad. I am actually thankful for formula companies to an extent because my son has to be supplimented with it and if it weren't for them I and many other mother's would be in trouble. I know there are a lot of women right now just itching to attack me for this because they are so against formula companies but I dare say they are moms who are able to stay at home with their babies and don't have to worry about not being able to pump enough or giving forumla. Ok..I am done. I apoligize but I just get a bit aggitated when people act like formula is poison because I have to use it and my son is growing with the help of it. Even though he is 90% BF he still has to have the formula when I am working. Ok..I am really done now. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page