no allergies while pregnant/nursing - allergies back after weaning - help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm trying to find out if anyone has had this experience. I developed allergies in my late 20's. They went away when I was pregnant with my first and stay gone while I nurse. I'm just weaning my second babe and my allergies are returning with a vengeance. I've never been able to figure out what I'm allergic to but obviously it's hormonally related. I finally got my period back today (after two years post-partum!). I'm thrilled but these allergies are killing me. Ideas?

Thanks, Deb
#2 of 4 Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM

I don't have an answer for you as I'm in the same boat! Looking forward to hearing what others have to say on this.
#3 of 4 Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting. My allergies seemed to get a lot better after my DD was born. I got pregnant again just a couple of months after getting my period back, and I'm still nursing #2, so I don't know what will happen after I finally stop nursing. I had never heard anyone else say pregnancy/nursing seemed to lessen their allergies until now.
#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 AM

I know that the immune system has to "stand down" to allow pregnancy to persist. Ever since I got pregnant, my asthma has been virtually gone, and that has continued as I have nursed. I do not know why these changes persist during nursing.

The other piece of information I have heard is that those with auto-immune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis often experience a remission during pregnancy, but that after a short honeymoon period, a worse flare of symptoms may be experienced after the baby is born. There is some thinking that breastfeeding may increase this honeymoon period, but not indefinitely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page