When did you start giving your baby water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 7 1/2 months, and is breastfed as his main food source, with two small jars of fruits/veggies a day. I've read conflicting info on when to start offering water in a sippy cup. He's definitely interested in our water glasses, but then he's interested in everything (especially shiny sparkly things like glasses filled with ice!) I'm not hugely concerned about it...I figure it'll become apparent when he really *needs* it...but I'm curious what y'all have done.

Thanks.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM

I started offering water in a cup when I started offering solids. They would take a few sips between bites. Now that they are older, they have cups of water always out in the kitchen.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM

If my boy is on my lap and I'm having a drink of water (I drink from a bottle, carry it with me always) I offer him some. He gets a tiny mouthful. Sippy cups don't interest him - he wants what I'm having
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM

We offered water when we started solids.

But wow- 2 jars a day? That seems like a lot. It's actually better to not spoon feed but rather let baby self-feed soft chunks. It's easier for them to regulate their own intake that way.

-Angela
Old 01-05-2007, 03:20 PM

I havent started solids with my almost 8 month old yet... but have started water.. basically, when he sees his 3 y/o brother and 1 y/o sister with a sippy cup, he wants one too so I put water in a sippy and he plays with it and sucks on it.. We wont do the baby food thing cause I just dont believe its good for babies, but I will start around 9 months or so with just table food
Old 01-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Two days ago! My dd was curious about my glass of water. So I put some in a Nuby sippy cup. She took one sip and gave me a look as if to say "Why are you drinking this?" Yesterday she took two sips- she thinks the sippy cup is neat, but she made it clear she prefers breastmilk in it. - She will suck water out of a wash cloth happily though.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damomma View Post
Two days ago! My dd was curious about my glass of water. So I put some in a Nuby sippy cup. She took one sip and gave me a look as if to say "Why are you drinking this?" Yesterday she took two sips- she thinks the sippy cup is neat, but she made it clear she prefers breastmilk in it. - She will suck water out of a wash cloth happily though.
Just like Damomma, I gave him some water in a glass bottle 2 days ago. He's been sucking the washcloths during baths and always grabs my water glass when I take a drink. he likes to put his mouth on it. I wasn't sure if he was just imitating me, or truly thirsty. I'm a big fan of water so I figured I'd let him try some too. He's not eating solids yet though, is 6 mos old.

He liked it fine!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM

ds started on water after 6 months. i asked his doctor if i should give him water during the summer -- it was hot -- but the doc said bf was enough. so i waited til ds started on some solid food.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
We offered water when we started solids.

But wow- 2 jars a day? That seems like a lot. It's actually better to not spoon feed but rather let baby self-feed soft chunks. It's easier for them to regulate their own intake that way.

-Angela
They're just the little 2.5 ounce "first foods" jars. That's the maximum he eats; some days he wants less. I'm being pretty careful about it- I BF him 1/2 hour before, and offer afterwards. And I follow his cues, giving him bites when he wants them and not shoving food down his gullet. I feel like he's ready for what he's getting.

Anyway, thanks for the info, all! I'll try giving him some water on occasion in a sippy cup and see if he likes it.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
They're just the little 2.5 ounce "first foods" jars. That's the maximum he eats; some days he wants less. I'm being pretty careful about it- I BF him 1/2 hour before, and offer afterwards. And I follow his cues, giving him bites when he wants them and not shoving food down his gullet. I feel like he's ready for what he's getting.
Have you tried letting him self-feed? It's much easier for babies to accurately regulate their own intake when they're feeding themselves.

-Angela
Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

We're working up to that. Right now he's still learning the mechanics of eating and gags on chunks, so i want him to have the puree first.

i know there's a school of thought that says not to spoonfeed and to go straight to finger foods at an older age. i did my reading, and don't ascribe to that school, though i think it's fine if others do. thanks for your opinion, though.

sorry so messy, typing w/ one hand whule holding tot.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started giving dd sips of water from my cup and then a small shot glass-sized cup around 7 months. By 14 months, she was fully proficient with a cup, thus contradicting the theory that ff babies go to a cup sooner than bf babies (I read that in a mag somewhere.).

User Tag List