Pumping at work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where this should go. Mods, feel free to move if needed.

I'm a teacher, and I have a very limited amount of time to pump. Some days it's non-exsistent. This, as you can imagine, has not been good for my supply. Right now, I'm pumping once a day around 2 pm. If I could, I really could use 2ce a day once around 11 and again around 2. I don't think that' s going to happen, but if there is some kind of law on the books, I would like to at least ensure that I get 1 session a day. So, is there a website that spells out the laws for each state as far as what employers have to give you? I live in Virginia and did a google search, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 AM

Check out www.LLLI.org. they have a whole legal area sectioned by state. Also, check ot the awesome website http://www.workandpump.com. I am sure there are teachers there that could lend some advice.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM

There are no laws, usually. Sorry. Good luck with your pumping. I know my brother, a junior high teacher, has a co-worker who pumps under one of those hooter hiders. She gives the class a reading assignment or test then goes to her desk and pumps.

Can you pump during recess/lunch?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM

I can't help you with the pumping at school question but have you considered co-sleeping to encourage "reverse-cycling" which might reduce DC's daytime intake and has the additional advantage of maintaining your supply? If safety is an issue for you the Kellymom article and attached list of resources gives lots of safety tips.

Co-sleeping / The Family Bed
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/familybed.html

Reverse Cycling
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

Good luck,
~Cath
Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

I'm a teacher too and I feel your pain!! I eat lunch in my classroom and pump while I eat. That at least makes sure I pump once a day. Some days though I have to wait 5 hours to get that pump in. While DS was still VERY TINY I would pump 4 times a day at work.

1. When I first get to work before I do ANYTHING else.
2. On my conference period *which I had to BEG to get...It was hard.
3. On my lunch
4. The second the kids left the room.

My problem is a rotating conference...so some days it is first thing in the morning and others it is last...makes it hard.

Keep it up mama! You can do it. We are 14 months strong of BF'ing with the work pumping!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM

I am a teacher who will be returning to work in 3 weeks. So far I have planned at least two pumping times: one at lunch in my room, and the other in my car (brrrr!) on my break time.

Is there any way you can approach your principal about needing another 10 minute window somewhere in your schedule? Even if you could just pump for 5 to 10 minutes to get things stimulated and pull off some milk, that might help. Good luck.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWAXSMOM View Post
Check out www.LLLI.org. they have a whole legal area sectioned by state. Also, check ot the awesome website http://www.workandpump.com. I am sure there are teachers there that could lend some advice.
Thanks, I'll check them out! That's what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
There are no laws, usually. Sorry. Good luck with your pumping. I know my brother, a junior high teacher, has a co-worker who pumps under one of those hooter hiders. She gives the class a reading assignment or test then goes to her desk and pumps.

Can you pump during recess/lunch?
Right now, I pump while the kids are at resource. I teach elem. so it's not so much sitting at the desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
I can't help you with the pumping at school question but have you considered co-sleeping to encourage "reverse-cycling" which might reduce DC's daytime intake and has the additional advantage of maintaining your supply? If safety is an issue for you the Kellymom article and attached list of resources gives lots of safety tips.

Co-sleeping / The Family Bed
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/familybed.html

Reverse Cycling
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

Good luck,
~Cath
Yep, and we do to an extent. She just happens to sleep really well. It really surprises me. Anytime she wakes up though, I'm there. Sometimes it's just for a quick snack, but other times it's for a meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
I'm a teacher too and I feel your pain!! I eat lunch in my classroom and pump while I eat. That at least makes sure I pump once a day. Some days though I have to wait 5 hours to get that pump in. While DS was still VERY TINY I would pump 4 times a day at work.

1. When I first get to work before I do ANYTHING else.
2. On my conference period *which I had to BEG to get...It was hard.
3. On my lunch
4. The second the kids left the room.

My problem is a rotating conference...so some days it is first thing in the morning and others it is last...makes it hard.

Keep it up mama! You can do it. We are 14 months strong of BF'ing with the work pumping!!
I usually get 1 in a day too. The pump is always here for a just in case moment, but by the time I walk the kids to lunch and make it back to the room, I don't have enough time to do it. : I'm always assured of a longer break when they go to resource. Her babysitter is right across the street, so I rush over to pick her up as soon as the buses leave.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! I appreciate it.

User Tag List