How much milk SHOULD you get when pumping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering...
What is the average (normal) amount of milk everyone gets when pumping?
Per breast?
How long do you pump and how often?

I have a 6 week old and thought I had been pretty successful breastfeeding this time. I also have a 14 month old that I couldn't breastfeed due to lack of milk. There just wasn't any after the initial "let down".

Well, this time, there is milk that follows the let down. I started trying to pump some to increase my supply like everyone said it would, and to have some milk for bottles so hubby could feed the baby as well.

I am LUCKY if I get 2 full ounces after pumping both sides! Its usually closer to a little over an ounce (

This is very depressing and starting to get to me. I failed miserably with my 14 month old, and hoped to do better this time. I am making milk, and the baby is wetting diapers and gaining weight, but I'm losing my confidence when I pump and get such little results.

Any advice? I'd like to be able to sit down and pump a small bottle full at least, rather than it taking me all day to get 4 or 5 ounces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't know what is average because I don't pump but I know SIL does 4 oz.

At 6 weeks your supply is still getting established. Don't give up yet! Drink your fluids, make sure you are getting enough calories, etc. Eat some oatmeal, drink some mothers milk tea. Have lots of skin to skin contact with babe.

What kind of pump are you using? That could have alot to do with your output. Are you able to relax when you pump? Have you tried pumping one side while babe nurses on the other side?

Also, your babe seems to be getting enough - no matter what you pump that is what matters. Your babe can get the milk going better than any pump.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Don't be discouraged, The amount pumped is not an indication of how much you make, your babe is much better at getting the milk out As long as your baby is well fed you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 AM

I'm not really a pumper, but I can say that I am exclusively breastfeeding my 20 pound 8 month-old, and I still can't pump more than an ounce or two per session. I tried for a few days when she was a newborn and could never get more than an ounce at a time, but she gained one pound per week, typically, so I didn't worry about supply. I tried again recently because I had some extra milk (DD just got over a stomach bug and had been nursing a lot), and I could only get 2 ounces. She nurses about 12 times per day, though. Like the pp said, as long as your baby is gaining weight, there is no need to worry. FWIW, I have a manual pump - I think an Avent.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 AM

The first few times you pump you should just consider practice - that if you get anything at all, AWESOME! You're just learning the pump, you're just getting BFing established. Mental attitude plays a huge roll in pumping output.

There is no set amount an average woman can pump - pumping output varies widely throughout the day and from woman to woman.

THe baby is far moreefficient than the pump. What you can pump is absolutely NOT an indicator of howmuch baby is getting when nursing.

Try not to stress. Keep hydrated, and find a set time per day (mornings are usually easiest) to fit in a pumping session. get your body used to the idea that you need milk at that time. Do it everyday and your body will get the idea to make more milk.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the input and words of encouragement

I forgot to mention that I also leak A LOT. When I am feeding or pumping on one, the other is filling up the bra pad! They need to make some sort of hose to run from nipple to a holstered bottle so all the leaking would be put to good use :P
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 AM

It is still very early and your body is getting used to the pump. At six weeks I was getting about 4oz at each session, but now I get 12oz. Once your supply is established, you will produce more. And like anything, it is an issue of mind over matter. Try not to focus on it too much. Distract yourself. And you will be suprised by how much you will produce when you are not paying attention. Also, it is important to massage the breasts and to have your pump on the right setting for you.
I have a Medella Pump in Style and I love it, but it took 4 months to figure out that I kept getting clogged ducts because I had the settings up to high. Boy, I could have saved myself alot of agony.
Good luck. Pretty soon, you will have so much milk that you won't know what to do with it.

Lindsey: wife to Noah, Mom to Ethan 5 and Jonathan 2,  Baby Boy #3 due May 2012, 7 angels

Old 01-16-2007, 03:21 AM

sometimes when i pump i get 2oz sometimes 6oz it really depends on the time of day, length after feeding, ect.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqi View Post
sometimes when i pump i get 2oz sometimes 6oz it really depends on the time of day, length after feeding, ect.
Same here. I have found recently that if I am concentrating on how much milk I pump I can't let down. I need to read on mothering or watch tv, something to completely take my mind off pumping. I also have luck pumping on one side while ds is nursing on the other.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 AM

Don't panic and please don't get discouraged! When I first started pumping I was freaking out at getting only 1oz on each side. As other posters have said, it takes time, it depends on how recently you fed the baby, how tired you are, how hydrated you are, etc. Some people can have HUGE supply and still never pump much. Lactation consultants told me over and over that how much I pumped really had no bearing on how much my baby was getting. I know that seems counter-intuitive but its true.

What kind of pump are you using? How long are you pumping per session? This matters a lot too!

The LCs I saw recommended that I pump after the first morning feed for 15 minutes. If you double pump you get more than if you only pump one side - weird i know but true.

(I was a complete pumpaholic - I am happy to share more if you'd like. Just PM me. )

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:48 AM

You're doing great! Some of the other mamas have mentioned some really good things to consider. I started pumping when my DS was about 6 weeks. The first few times, it took me forever to get ready, and I'm sure I didn't get more than 1-2 oz total. I have a Medela PIS Advanced. This is what I tried to do - I would try to pump once per day sometime between 8am - noon, about 30-60 minutes after my DS ate. You produce more milk in the morning, so I'd recommend trying to pump in the morning. BUT, if you can only fit in a pumping session at night, do that, and don't worry that you only get 1 oz (or whatever you get) -- every little bit helps!

Anyway, if you can try to pump at around the same time every day, it's almost like you're putting a request to have the milk ready then, so in a few days, you'll have more milk then.

My DS is 7 mo old, and I haven't had any supply problems, but I swear, I always have days where I worry if I have enough... I suppose that's normal Follow your baby's cues (nursing on demand helps, I think), and focus on one day at a time. You can do it!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:52 AM

FWIW, I just started back to work last week, and have been pumping twice a day when I'm at work. I will typically get 4-5 oz out of my left breast, and usually 2-3 out of my right. I'll combine them to make 2 3-4 oz bottles. My DS is 7 weeks old today if that helps... Hang in there mama it'll get better!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MJLR View Post
I forgot to mention that I also leak A LOT. When I am feeding or pumping on one, the other is filling up the bra pad! They need to make some sort of hose to run from nipple to a holstered bottle so all the leaking would be put to good use :P
What about this?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM

If you're leaking while pumping or feeding on the other side, try collecting that milk!

You can put the pump on the breast to catch whatever leaks while nursing on the other side. Or if you have a manual pump, try holding a bottle under the other breast while pumping to catch it.

Don't get discouraged if the leaking suddenly seems to stop soon - it is NOT a sign that your milk is "drying up" or anything like that - it's just that your body is adjusting to the amount your baby needs - right around 6 weeks I suddenly stopped leaking all over the place!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM

I Get About 2 Oz From My Right Breast And 1 -2 From My Left One .
I Am Working 4 Days A Week And My Ds Is 6 Weeks.
It Is Hard To Keep Up With Bottles For Him -even Pumping In The Am And 2 Times At Work And I Go Home And Feed Him At My Lunch.
I Need 4 Bottles A Day --so Far Just Making It By.
Trying Fenugreek ,oats,mm Teas ,more Food And Water ,nursing More Often.

::
momma to 4
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I am wondering...
Per breast?

I have a 6 week old and thought I had been pretty successful breastfeeding this time. I also have a 14 month old that I couldn't breastfeed due to lack of milk. There just wasn't any after the initial "let down".

Well, this time, there is milk that follows the let down. I started trying to pump some to increase my supply like everyone said it would, and to have some milk for bottles so hubby could feed the baby as well.

I am LUCKY if I get 2 full ounces after pumping both sides! Its usually closer to a little over an ounce (

This is very depressing and starting to get to me. I failed miserably with my 14 month old, and hoped to do better this time. I am making milk, and the baby is wetting diapers and gaining weight, but I'm losing my confidence when I pump and get such little results.

Any advice? I'd like to be able to sit down and pump a small bottle full at least, rather than it taking me all day to get 4 or 5 ounces.
Just agreeing with everyone else. Pumping doesn't measure how much you are actually producing. I know that depressing feeling, thinking your not pumping enough - felt couple weeks ago when I started pumping to go back to work (luckly they are letting me do parttime and I will be working from home mostly, but went in for about 2-3 hours everyday for the first week). The first time I pumped I only got 1 ounce! in about 2 hours: . Talk about depression and my milk had to be established by then (my baby was 2 1/2 months). I went online looking for encouragement that I was producint enough. I guess I had to cause my baby was gaining weight fast( He is in the 95 percentile for weight and 90 for heighti). Early mornings is best for pumping. The next time I pumped I did it between 4-6pm and got 4 ounces. Pumping can increase your milk supply though it did mine. Now when I have a let down it is more forcefull and my baby pops have looks at me weird then goes back on. So you are doing find with pumping and as someone says you are still establishing your milk supply.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I am wondering...
Per breast?

i was the same way then i tried fenugreek and within a day i went from pumping 2 oz to 6oz!

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's

User Tag List