Bf'ing myths - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any myths out there that are totally untrue? What about things that no one tells you?

I've got a while until my baby comes but I just want to get an idea of things that no one talks about in books. Any input would be great.
#2 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM

I asked on here a while back about things that all breastfeeding moms should know and I got a TON of great advice for a friend of mine and I have kept this list on hand so here it is....

Breastfeeding is always best if it comes from the source. However, if a nursing couple requires using a breastpump and bottles, either regularly or on rare occasions, it is best to use caution and be sure to be informed about the potential negative impacts. Some things to bear in mind when introducing a bottle:

- wait until at least 4-5 weeks of age to try introducing a bottle
- purchase "slow flow" bottle nipples and use only those
- have another family member provide the bottle so baby knows that mom only breastfeeds and the bottle is not a substitute for mom
- have a nursing chair for breastfeeeding and tell family members to never feed baby a bottle in the nursing chair
- be sure to pump at regular intervals that the baby would normally be nursing, if a bottle is being given for that feeding

Roughly 2% of the WORLD'S population of women are physically ( meaning they seriously lack glandular tissue, have a terminal illness tthat prevents them from nursing, underwent a double mast. ) unable to produce breastmilk. Way too many women say "I didnt have any milk". It just isn't true. Women in our society are told so many lies about breastfeeding, and "You dont make milk" is the worst and most common offender.

breastfeeding has health benefits for mom too, lower risk of breast and ovarian cancer, osteoporosis

Also, it is okay for your baby to get just colostrum while you are waiting for your milk to come in! Supplementing with formula is unnecessary and will do more harm than good.

IT GETS EASIER. Breastfeeding is not always the magical, natural, easy, blissful experience that sometimes it is made out to be. It can hurt (and there are things you can do to help it). It can be frustrating. It can be hard and make you crazy, especially during those first 6 - 8 weeks.

it is NORMAL for a newborn to seem like he or she is nursing ALL THE TIME. Very frequent nursing in the beginning is the baby's way of getting your milk supply established, and as long as there are good amounts of poopy and wet diapers, and baby is happy, let him/her nurse! Many moms feel they don't have enough milk, but don't realize that when this is happening, the baby is making their body make more.

Sometimes it DOES hurt even if you do everything right.
Other sucking (bottles, pacifiers, sippy cups) can be a problem.
It's a great tool for parenting toddlers!

Women with inverted nipples can successfully breastfeed, but it can take some work.

A baby can get enough milk even if mom only has one breast.

The milk let down(ejection relex) for some mom's can be extremely uncomfortable. Especially in the first months but for some, like me, the whole first year + with my dd when I let down it hurt. A tingly pain that started at the nap of my neck and radiated down into my nipples. And some woman NEVER feel let down at all.

Breastfeeding not only helps mom's risk of cancer but it also helps lower the risk in the baby.

A very high percentage of Dr/healthcare workers know little to nothing about the nutrition of breast feeding. And end up giving horrible advice.

Not all woman have rock hard breasts when there milk comes in. With my dd I did have them but with my ds they never got close to being hard.

If you are not used to pumping and try it just to see if you are making enough or not, you will NOT be able to tell that way

Some people are more sensitive to pain than others and blaming it on the mom doesn't help her get through it.

Get a pediatrician who will support breastfeeding and understands that breastfed babies don't gain weight the same as formula fed babies.

Something my LC was telling me that I didn't know- for the first couple weeks feed on one side and then alternate to the other side at the next feeding so the baby gets the rich hindmilk which helps them gain weight.

If you have to supplement insist on using a syringe/dropper/sthingy etc to aovid nipple confusion. If you give a baby a bottle sometimes they won't want to work as hard to get milk from the breast

Watch for early hunger cues (opening/closing mouth, smacking/licking lips, sucking on hands, rooting, squirming) and feed before your baby starts crying (which is a late hunger cue) if you wait too long it makes latching on more difficult.

Breastfeed asap after birth, nurse on demand, not on a schedule, and concentrate on the number of feedings per day, not so much the hours in between feedings as many babies will cluster feed and then go a long stretch without nursing

If you deliver in the hospital watch the nurses like a hawk to make sure they don't give your baby sugar water or pacifiers. Even if you express your wishes, if your baby goes in the nursery they could completely disregard your request so go with the baby or have someone you trust to be assertive to go with the baby.

That when baby is about a week old, it's perfectly normal for your breasts to suddenly feel not as full. It doesn't mean your milk is going away.

You can nurse a preemie! It has it's own set of "rules" and an additional set of challenges but it is possible! Don't let anyone (including the NICU nurses) tell you otherwise
#3 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 05:57 PM

No one ever told me:

If you are breastfeeding, you do not need to have bottles or a pump! (If you're not planning on returning to work, that is)
In addition, no one ever told me that bottles and artificial nipples can contribute to early weaning. I'd seen it happen in real life so many times but I just always thought those babies weaned on their own. Now I know!

That a newborn can nurse every 15 minutes or half hour and that is okay.
#4 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 PM

Nobody told me that my newborn would absolutely refuse to latch for the first several days and I would have to go out and buy a pump/bottles.

I agree that BFing can make you sore whether or not you have a good latch.

I also wasn't aware that it's normal to have a lower than usual supply in the evenings and even if babe gets a little hungry, it doesn't mean you have to supplement. The milk was always there by nightfall!

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Baby's eat alot!!!!! I second the pp, it is ok to feed your baby whenever your baby wants, even if that is every 15 mins. But most of all I have no bottles/formula in my house, nor do i ever want it here.
#6 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 PM

I was told, by an MD no less (not my ped, thankfully), that I should supplement with bottles of water. There is no need for this and can mess up your baby's electrolytes (sp?)

I don't know any other big "myths" off hand, but get lots of support from people who have breastfed their babes- if someone gives you advice and you aren't sure about it, do some research before taking it - as I found a lot fo people in my family who ffed their babes had a bunch of strange advice for my bfed baby.
#7 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 AM

Don't let anyone tell you that you should have milk before about 72 hours are up. It takes about three days after the birth for your milk to come in, so don't believe someone if they tell you the day after you give birth that you don't have milk so you will have to give your baby formula or that because you don't have milk yet that your body won't produce enough. You have colostrom at that point and that is perfectly suitable for your baby. The milk will come, don't worry!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#8 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 AM

Having a baby with a tongue-tie *can* affect nursing, especially if it's a bad one. Clipping it is a simple, painless procedure (doesn't require anesthetic)that can make a huge difference to nursing.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 AM

should you get mastitis, (god forbid), IT'S OK to nurse your baby. In fact you SHOULD nurse your baby on the affected side to keep it drained. Mastitis will not affect your baby.

If you need to be on a certain medication for whatever reason, get yourself a dr. Hale's book. Most doctors r clueless and will tell you to wean/pump and dump (which can create whole entirely new problems) unecessarily for certain medication simply to cover their own behinds because they don't know. Dr. Hale usually DOES know, so get you a book and keep it with you.

or, go to his website and keep it under your favorites to reference to.
#10 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 AM

A very high percentage of Dr/healthcare workers know little to nothing about the nutrition of breast feeding. And end up giving horrible advice.

That one bears repeating. In fact, if you do nothing else, you should write that down on a card and keep it in your wallet, and take it out and look at it before & after every doctor's appointment (yours or the baby's; you'll likely get a lot of crap from your doctor too, sometimes apropos of nothing).

My biggie: If it works, it's right.

There are a ton of things that you will be told about the "right" way to breastfeed. Read it, and keep it in mind, but if you find something else that works for you and your baby, even if it goes completely against everything you have read (except putting baby on a strict schedule, which is both stupid & dangerous), DO IT.

This is the example I always use: In reading the breastfeeding section of The Baby Book, I saw that it said baby should never nurse with her head turned to the side. So when my eldest was a newborn, I fought to keep her on her side, facing me, while she was nursing so that she wouldn't be nursing with her head turned to the side. She hated it! Things went about a thousand times more smoothly once I let her just flop over onto her back to nurse.

Other things I found useless: pillows and the dictum that c-section mamas must use the football hold. Both were much more trouble than they were worth.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#11 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 AM

Just because your baby ate an hour (or 15min) ago does not mean she/he's not hungry. If she sounds hungry, she probably is.

If the babe wants to nurse ALL DAY LONG, it's probably a growth spurt. You will make enough milk! Growth spurts can be tiring, but they only last a day or two (IME).
If I was having a rough day, my mom would say, "Tomorrow will be different."

Something I never read...
I sprayed a lot of milk in the early days. Dd would unlatch, and I'd have streams going all over. Funny more than anything! Just surprised me because I never read about it.
#12 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM

drink (you) lots of water. stay hydrated.

pediatricians shouldn't give unasked for childrearing advice. it's ok and normal for a 4 month old to wake during the night to nurse, don't supplement with formula because some doc said your baby needs to be sleeping all night (i know someone who's doc said this and they believed it). they might wake during the night for several years and that is ok/normal too.
#13 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
If you need to be on a certain medication for whatever reason, get yourself a dr. Hale's book. Most doctors r clueless and will tell you to wean/pump and dump (which can create whole entirely new problems) unecessarily for certain medication simply to cover their own behinds because they don't know. Dr. Hale usually DOES know, so get you a book and keep it with you.

or, go to his website and keep it under your favorites to reference to.
YES!! I've had many medical procedures done while BF (including radiation treatment), and I can't count the number of times I've been told to pump & dump when it wasn't necessary. Always check with Hale for any medication. Certainly there are some which make BF unsafe, but most times it's ok.
#14 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJMP View Post
Just because your baby ate an hour (or 15min) ago does not mean she/he's not hungry. If she sounds hungry, she probably is.

If the babe wants to nurse ALL DAY LONG, it's probably a growth spurt. You will make enough milk! Growth spurts can be tiring, but they only last a day or two (IME).
If I was having a rough day, my mom would say, "Tomorrow will be different."
:

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#15 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 PM

I was told by my daughters godmother that the first week is the worst. Get through that and you are fine and it becomes a breeze.
#16 of 16 Old 01-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Most, if not all of the advice given here is in "the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". My mom gave it to me, I'll be a first-time mom in May. Her other peice of advice, that I haven't read anywhere here yet, is to keep a bottle with you while you are feeding to catch dripping (or spraying!) milk from the other breast (esp when you are doing one breast per feeding) and freeze that milk. That way you don't need a pump, and you will have some on hand IF you ever need it. That is the only reason I've allowed ONE bottle in the house so far.... it was part of a gift bag. There are apparently some in teh garage somewhere, but I have tried to toss those a few times already!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page