baby lactose intolerant and breast feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We recently discovered that my 12 month old child is lactose intolerant. I was also recently told that there is lactose in breast milk. My child is frequently very gassy and night wakes often (the past 2 nights it has been every hour). I planned on letting him wean naturally but now I am wondering if he is uncomforable from the lactose in the breastmilk. Is there something I could do to decrease the lactose in my breast milk?

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 AM

You may find these two links helpful.

Lactose intolerance is often misunderstood even by medical professionals. Often a child is actually intolerant of dairy but tolerates the lactose in breastmilk just fine (if mom removes dairy from her diet.)

TONS more info here explains it better than I can!
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 PM

How did you decide your child was lactose intolerant? Lactose intolerance doesn't happen in babies/toddlers (except galatocemia, which is very rare) More likely your child is allergic to dairy. Therefore allergic to the proteins, not the sugar (lactose) In which case, eliminate all dairy from your diet.

-Angela
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Just thought Id point out that commercial dairy, eg homogenized and pasteurized, is quite different from raw dairy. Many mums have found that although thier b/f babies or older children are 'dairy intolerant' they can tolerate raw dairy just fine.

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM

My DD is a LI, we have started Raw milk and have seen less constipation, a MUCH larger appetite and she's sleeping more at night (Thank goodness!)
Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

His symptoms are excessive gas, cramps, and constipation. If I give him cheese he has the gas and cramps and then gets diarrhea. Is raw milk unpasturized? When you say you saw an improvement in sleeping was it after you drank raw milk or after your child did?

Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamie View Post
His symptoms are excessive gas, cramps, and constipation. If I give him cheese he has the gas and cramps and then gets diarrhea. Is raw milk unpasturized? When you say you saw an improvement in sleeping was it after you drank raw milk or after your child did?
It's not lactose intolerance. It may be a dairy allergy though.

-Angela
Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM

There is a difference between dairy (e.g. milk) protein intolerance/allergy and lactose intolerance, but they are easily confused. Partly because dairy is the root problem and partly because the symptoms are similar.

True lactose intolerance is rare (when someone is lacking the enzymes necessary to break down lactose) but "secondary" lactose intolerance is relatively common. Secondary refers to the fact that the lactose intolerance is secondary to something else such as antibiotics at birth affecting the environment of baby's gut and therefore the ability to break down the lactose.

Complicating things further, there are other similar and possibly overlapping issues such as Oversupply, Overactive Letdown, Hind Milk Foremilk imbalance, etc. Oversupply and Overactive Letdown frequently, but not always, go hand in hand; so just because your baby isn't gagging on your milk doesn't mean that a different nursing position might not help (such as leaning back and placing baby "on top" so gravity is working in his/her favor). Kellymom has a lot of info on all of these problems. I suggest searching their site.

Block feeding is helpful for "sugar" overload (whatever the cause). Keeping baby on one side for extended periods means they get more hind milk which has a higher ratio of fats and proteins which offsets the sugar.

My suggestion is that you start with a dairy (including egg) and soy elimination diet in case it is a dairy protein intolerance or allergy and that you pore over the Kellymom site to get a better sense of what the underlying problem(s) are. The good news is that the tips and techniques you would use to manage any one of these problems are compatible with those for managing the others. Some of the them are the same (e.g. block feeding for various sugar overload issues). However, you don't want to overwhelm yourself by doing stuff you don't need to.

I do speak from experience since DD1 had dairy protein intolerances/allergies and some sort of lactose overload issue. Never quite figured out exactly what the overload problem was but I was able to manage it with block feeding. We never got it perfectly under control so DD1 had colic type misery for about a year or so.

Interestingly, when I thought it was just some sort of lactose overload issue I did read that you could add Lactaid to EBM. But you would need to let it work overnight or so for maximum benefit and they don't sell the drops anymore (that I know of) now that you can get so many products with the Lactaid in it. They might have tablets you can crush but this would only be a good partial solution for babies getting a fair amount of EBM so you could put an appropriate dose of the crushed tablet(s) into EBM prior to storage and let the product break the sugar down. If your baby has true lactose intolerance or serious secondary lactose intolerance and you are a Working and Pumping mom this might be worth considering.

Good luck, ~Cath
Old 01-19-2007, 07:08 PM

My daughter had this too. Instead of eating cheese and milk I started eating goat cheese & milk and now she is fine.

Lactose intolerance is often confused with dairy allergy like some other people have pointed out. If your child was truly allergic to breastmilk you would have known right away and it is almost non-exsistant (rare).

Try not eating dairy but remember it takes 2 weeks sometimes to get out of your system.

My daughter also was allergic to soy, so if you drink soy or eat soy products you might have to eliminate those as well.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamie View Post
His symptoms are excessive gas, cramps, and constipation. If I give him cheese he has the gas and cramps and then gets diarrhea. Is raw milk unpasturized?
I realise this is not directly ontopic, but...
Raw milk is unpastuerized, in other words, its straight from the animal, be it a goat or cow etc. Pastuerization (and homogenisation) changes the nutritonal and chemical profile of milk and milk products, and thats what makes it an allergen or intolerable. A true dairy or dairy protein allergy, when consuming RAW milk products is very rare.
You might like to look at this http://www.realmilk.com/why.html

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
Old 01-20-2007, 10:34 AM

PEDIATRICS Vol. 118 No. 3 September 2006, pp. 1279-1286
Quote:
Lactose-Free Formulas
In developed countries, even in the case of acute gastroenteritis, enough lactose digestion and absorption are preserved so that low-lactose and lactose-free formulas have no clinical advantages compared with standard lactose-containing formulas except in severely undernourished children, in whom lactose-containing formulas may worsen the diarrhea and lactose-free formulas may be advantageous. Breastfed infants should be continued on human milk in all cases. This has also been reviewed recently in the American Academy of Pediatrics’ practice guideline for acute gastroenteritis. The use of lactase in formulas for preterm infants has been noted above. Although lactose-free cow milk–protein-based formulas are readily available and popular, no studies have documented that these formulas have any clinical impact on infant outcome measures including colic, growth, or development.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/118/3/1279
Old 01-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Nisupulla,
Thanks for that info. I wasn't recommending that she give her DC "Lactaid" products. I was only suggesting that she might try a ground up Lactaid additive to her EBM, if she has any EBM. But I can see how I may have confused her so I appreciate the clarification.

Of course that would be completely useless if her DC has a dairy protein allergy / intolerance as opposed to any sort of secondary lactose intolerance / sugar overload.
~Cath
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I know this is a bit late but I wanted to thank you all for your responses and info. I am going to take a look at all the links and try and sort out the problem.

Cath- You said your first child had some of these problems. Where his symptoms gas and frequent night waking? Besides the evening my child is very happy just very gassy and only manages a BM every 3 days. I have often wondered if I have an overactive letdown so I will check out kellymom. Probably a good place to start just nursing on one side is the evening.

Thanks again. Kamie

Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Try keeping all pasteurized/homogenized dairy out of your and his diet, it may alleviate the problem. Raw milk is okay because it still has the live enzymes necessary to break down the lactose in milk and digest it gently. BM, a live fluid, also has the necessary enzymes.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM

great article on lactose intolerance in infants. I'm dealing with this right now. My dd has been diagnosed with it, and through an endoscopy found our levels of lactase are 3.2 whereas normal babies are 15 or greater. The thing is she has no symptons. No diahrrea, occasional spit up, that kind of thing. The GI wants me to quit breastfeeding all together and use hypoallergenic formula for two to three months before resuming. My supply at times is questionalbe, so I'm afraid pumping only will kill it altogether. For what it's worth my dd is seven months old and ablout 12.5lbs. Small, but seeming to meet her milestones and generally happy. I'm not sure what to do!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazerbarbie View Post
great article on lactose intolerance in infants. I'm dealing with this right now. My dd has been diagnosed with it, and through an endoscopy found our levels of lactase are 3.2 whereas normal babies are 15 or greater. The thing is she has no symptons. No diahrrea, occasional spit up, that kind of thing. The GI wants me to quit breastfeeding all together and use hypoallergenic formula for two to three months before resuming. My supply at times is questionalbe, so I'm afraid pumping only will kill it altogether. For what it's worth my dd is seven months old and ablout 12.5lbs. Small, but seeming to meet her milestones and generally happy. I'm not sure what to do!
A baby w/ true LI at this age will have galactosemia from everything I've read. A galactosemic baby would have not have made it to 7 mos w/ lactose in it's diet though. The body would have shut down a long time ago! I would cut all dairy from your diet, check out the allergies board or pm me, and see what happens. If there are no symptoms though, I would be hesitant to stop bfing. Having a small child though can be symptomatic of having allergies though. Evan is/was very small, he was 15# at 7 mos and most of it was b/c of his numerous food intolerances/allergies at that age. He was 18# at 1 and I did stop bfing then and moved him to rx formula and no solids (we started those again at 15 mos) and he was 23# at 18 mos! Now 19 mos later, he's a whopping 3.5# heavier and we feel we may be back where we started.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
My suggestion is that you start with a dairy (including egg) and soy elimination diet
I'm just curious as to when cows started laying eggs?

If you think dairy may be the culprit, cut out all dairy for at least two weeks and see how your little one responds. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious as to when cows started laying eggs?
That makes me laugh b/c MIL and I used to argue about this all the time. She was adamant that eggs were 'dairy', but I kept reminding her they had no milk protien in them.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List