Can we talk about alcohol? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How much alcohol do you drink while breastfeeding?
None. I don't think it is healthy, even in smal amounts. 33 10.93%
Very rarely. 102 33.77%
Once a week. 47 15.56%
A couple of times a week. 86 28.48%
Once a day. 21 6.95%
Every day. 7 2.32%
A couple of drinks per day (thought I'm not drunk). 2 0.66%
A couple of drinks per day (but I feel tipsy). 4 1.32%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
See, this is a problem to me. We need to get more accurate, less hysterical information out about alcohol, marijuana, etc while nursing. Becoz it saddens me greatly to think of mamas choosing formula rather than breastfeeding becoz they are concerned about the effects of the occasional drink, or joint.
I would sooner smoke a joint than drink a glass of wine, either while breastfeeding or pregnant. Alcohol is much more harmful in general than marijuana. Put it this way, nobody ever died from smoking too much pot.
#62 of 122 Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkinMama View Post
I would sooner smoke a joint than drink a glass of wine, either while breastfeeding or pregnant. Alcohol is much more harmful in general than marijuana. Put it this way, nobody ever died from smoking too much pot.
ITA. But that's a whole other thread. Believe me, I got the t-shirt. :
#63 of 122 Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkinMama View Post
Werd.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#64 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
Actually that WOULDN'T be ok to say ANYWHERE on MDC because it ISN'T TRUE!
So are you saying that it's a good idea to formula feed your child? Because it appears the only options here are that I either have to agree with something you do, or if I don't, I'm saying you don't care as much about your child as I do mine. I have a right to the opinion that drinking while breastfeeding or pregnant is detrimental, just as others have the right to the opinion that giving your baby formula is detrimental.

WHO statements in alcohol passing into breastmilk http://www.euro.who.int/document/e73182.pdf:

Quote:
Remember:
alcohol can pass into the breast milk, so do not drink or at least
restrict alcohol intake during lactation;

• there is no evidence of any beneficial effect of alcohol on
breast milk production;
• smoking may decrease your ability to produce breast milk and
thus affect the growth of your baby, smoking also decreases
the vitamin C content in breast milk;
• try not to harm the lungs of your newborn child - never smoke
in baby’s room;
• caffeine can pass into the breast milk and cause hyperactivity
and sleeping problems in your baby - try not to drink too much
coffee, tea and cola drinks (recommendations are the same as
for pregnancy);
• many medications can also pass into breast milk - check with
your doctor before taking any (however, taking most
medications is not a contraindication to a breastfeeding)
#65 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpear View Post
Isn't the amount of alcohol in your milk approximately the same as what's in your blood? So after two beers (if I slammed them back-to-back, rather than having two over the course of an evening), blood alcohol is .08, milk alcohol is about the same... just doesn't seem enough to worry about, to me.
My IBCLC told me this. I think a NON-alcoholic beer has about 0.5 doesn't it? Much much more than an over-the-limit drunk mama's milk. (Not that I'd let my kids drink even non-alcoholic beer, but just for comparison purposes...) And not that I get drunk and nurse. I voted a couple of times a week. I enjoy my red wine with meals or occasionally by itself if I have a night out. I rarely nurse after more than one glass unless I've spread it out or had a lot to eat and then I'll nurse after two but never more than that.
#66 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amris View Post
So are you saying that it's a good idea to formula feed your child? Because it appears the only options here are that I either have to agree with something you do, or if I don't, I'm saying you don't care as much about your child as I do mine. I have a right to the opinion that drinking while breastfeeding or pregnant is detrimental, just as others have the right to the opinion that giving your baby formula is detrimental.

WHO statements in alcohol passing into breastmilk http://www.euro.who.int/document/e73182.pdf:
*sigh*
I think you are being deliberately obtuse.

No, I am NOT saying I think that feeding your child ABM is the optimal choice. I AM however saying that just because I breastfeed doesn't mean I love my child more than someone else.

It's a fallicious argument.

The WHO says LIMITED acohol consumption. Is ANYONE on this thread talking about anything other than that?

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#67 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM

I'm talking about going on a bender every night, Pynki. With babe in sling, of course.
#68 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 AM

Reading this thread is tempting my pregnant self to join you thismama.
#69 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 AM

I did start getting plastered occasionally once my nursling turned two. I asked on a board and was told by a friend who does (something to do with breastfeeding support? LLL leader? anyway) that their livers are better able to metabolize the alcohol content in bm after this age.

I mean, once your nursling can beat you at a game of Memory, you kind of want to be able to get on with your life and occasionally enjoy yourself, kwim?
#70 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM

I have issues w/drinking heavily and co-sleeping... therefore I will on RARE occassion have A middle of the day drink (once every few months). As far as BFing and alcohol- personal view is moderation for your own health even.
#71 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
And perhaps even more importantly, if you are getting TIPSY around your baby and you are co-sleeping... then you should seriously make sure you sleep in another bed or on the floor... but never in the same bed as the child.

Oh, and here's what Kelly Mom has to say...
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
VERY important point, and well-taken. Co-sleepers must be very careful what we do at bedtime.

Kelly Mom has a point - alcohol itself does not help with milk production. But the Hops and Brewers Yeast, particularly in the darker beers, is believed to help with milk production. If you can find a dark non-alcoholic beer, that would be ideal. Since I have been unable to do so, I drink a single dark beer many nights, with food so I don't feel the effects. My baby has been between greater than 95% to 85% on the weight chart, he's now 10 months old. While much of that is likely genetics, I'm proud to say my milk had a role.

Regarding parent's drinking and alcoholism in kids, my parents taught me respect for alcohol. Beer was available to me since my earliest memory, but only under my parent's supervision. It was made very clear to me that I should not drive if I was feeling any effects from a drink, and when I went away to college, I did not have the problems that some kids had, because alcohol wasn't new or exciting to me.

While college kids may experiment with alcohol because it is new, I think a lot of adult alcohol addiction either comes from genetics or psychological issues, not just drinking because Mom and Dad did. People can and do get addicted to an endless number of things, alcohol is just one of them.

As a pharmacist, I believe that alcohol is OK in moderation. That moderation rule really applies to everything. The news recently reported a story of someone who died from drinking too much water as part of a competition. So, anything in excess can be detrimental. As parents, we need to teach our kids about balance.
#72 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 AM

i have a beer or a glass of wine every night when my boyfriend comes home and gives alice a bath (my 30 minutes of break). sometimes i have another one after she goes to sleep. it's organic and a great part of my break.
#73 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 AM

I had one drink about every other day when I was breastfeeding my son. However, I had some supply issues with him, and I heard later on that alcohol can increase that problem, so I think next time I will avoid it until my supply is well established.

As for moderate alcohol use in the home leading to alcoholism, I trust my personal experience. The only serious alcoholics in my family, and there are several, were all raised by teetotalers. My grandma's dad was an alcoholic and she never allowed alcohol in the home at all, and ALL THREE of her children have had problems with alcohol (although I wouldn't call my mom an alcoholic ... she does drink a lot though).

We have a large alcohol collection and drink in moderation.
#74 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 AM

beef? gotta be red. chicken? white!
love me some vino a few times a week, but I need to drink lots of water because it dries me out like crazy!
My dh is a big wine lover and a chef so he wants to educate me and eventually the kids (when they are older )about pairing with food, etc.
We look to add another dimension to our meals, not to unwind with a drink, though it is an added bonus!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#75 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amris View Post
Then you've never dealt with the effects of an addict nor seen how horrifically miserable they are and they make everyone around them.

I envy you that ignorant bliss. May you keep it for your entire life.

And may my child keep it for hers, as well...
I've lived ten years with an alcoholic, my ex-husband, and I know first hand what the effects are. I wore them on my body many many times.

In spite of my experience with alcoholism, I enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings. I nurse my two year old. I didn't drink when they were smaller, but I don't sweat it now and I don't see anything wrong in other mums making the choice to enjoy a drink when nursing.

I was always lead to believe that parents who are extreme in their opinion in either direction about alcohol are more likely to have alcoholic chidlren than those who drink in moderation and see it as a non-issue.

I also enjoy chocolate and the occasional soda. I know it's not good for me and don't need educating on the subject. I don't crave it, I don't depend on it, I don't need it, but I enjoy it. I don't honestly thinl it will cut my life short to indulge myself in the odd unhealthy snack or drink, and I think it gives my children a good example.

I say this gently, but I do believe that a black and white view of alcohol like yours is more likely to lead your child, or maybe their children, to alcoholism than a more moderate approach.
#76 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 AM

I never drank while pregnant or nursing- or before that : as I just do not care for the taste of most alcoholic beverages... there was a time when I was vehemently opposed to the idea of drinking while bfing. However, it seems clear that an occasional glass of wine or beer is not going to have a negative impact on a child. Like someone else said, if I was nursing & wanted to drink, I think it would be my personal comfort level to wait till the baby was over six months. I don't know why.

The level of judgment in this thread is astonishing. I am a non drinker who grew up in a family of non drinkers, & I am very uncomfortable in the presence of drunk people. But it doesn't bother me to be with people who are drinking a glass or two of wine. (& if they happen to be drinking schnapps or kahlua mudslides, I have been known to take a sip or two myself. )
#77 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 AM

I didn't do it till ds was down to 1-2 times a day, then an occasional glass of wine. I just wasn't comfortable doing it.
#78 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 AM

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#79 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I'm talking about going on a bender every night, Pynki. With babe in sling, of course.
Well, I figured YOU were TM. I mean... You probably had your feet up and everything while doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Reading this thread is tempting my pregnant self to join you thismama.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#80 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellymay View Post
I don't drink any, although I have heard what others have said about it being ok or whatever but I just don't agree with it and I wouldn't do it.
Ditto.
#81 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
Well, I figured YOU were TM. I mean... You probably had your feet up and everything while doing it!
Yeah you know me, kicking back on the sofa in the living room, beer always in hand.
#82 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM

I voted very rarely because I don't drink. I may have a sip of someones wine once in a great while.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#83 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Wow, heated topic! I haven't read all the posts yet, but I feel fine having a glass or two daily if desired. I read in the LLL magazine that it's only necessary to avoid in the early weeks. Because of the osmosis process by which milk is made, the amount of alcohol in the milk is the same as the amount in the bloodstream at any given time. So, if your BAC is .15, which would be extremely drunk, then the content of the milk would be .15%. That's 15 hundredths of a percent. If you've just had one or two glasses in a few hour period (enough to still drive legally/safely), then it would be more like .05%. Seeing as how beer and wine are around 12%, as a comparison, I'm not worried about that tiny amount. And if we process about a glass per hour, then that means the alcohol is being removed from the milk at the rate of about one glass per hour. So there is no need to wait several hours to nurse or pump & dump the milk or anything like that. That article really cleared it up for me.

#84 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

[ hoping my soapbox is of equal height ]

I voted a couple times a week. With a meal, a glass of wine or beer is a splurge that I happily enjoy as something that is for *me*. Of course it effects me! But so does the air I breathe, the water I drink, the meat I occasionally eat and the cookie I savor for dessert.

I'm doing the best I can to keep my family nutritionally healthy. But I can't lose all of my pleasures in the name of sacrifice. I am happier with my balance. I'm sad that not everyone here sounds the same.

#85 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM

I didn't vote because, while I don't drink, I don't see any problem with having a couple of drinks and breastfeeding. In fact, even with a drunk mom the major danger is impairment of the mother, not the miniscule amound of alcohol in breastmilk. Isn't there more alcohol in a piece of ripe fruit than the 0.05% in breastmilk of a mom who had 2 glasses of wine? I certainly wouldn't restrict the consumption of ripe fruit for my children for fear that the tiny amount of alcohol would harm them.

I am really agreeing with thismama here. We seem to have a hard time grasping the concept of moderation in this country, whether it be food, alcohol, etc. It's kind of ridiculous.
#86 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM

I voted for once a week. But sometimes it's a bit more often, sometimes a bit less. And only for the last few months. Before that it was VERY rare. Lately though, I only drink after she's gone to bed and nursed, so by the time she nurses again (the next night) it's out of my system. On the rare occassion that I get DRUNK, I don't take her into bed with me at night, and have my mom take the night shift. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper normally, and I'm just TERRIFIED as to what could happen....
#87 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
"Light drinking" (defined as one drink or less per day) is *not* contraindicated while breastfeeding. The rule of thumb is basically, if you can feel it, so can babe. When I drink, I make sure i drink slowly, not on an empty stomach, and not more than one drink per day - after so many years of pregnancy and breastfeeding, my tolerance is low. Alcohol passes freely into and out of breastmilk. When it's no longer in your bloodstream, it's no longer in your milk. Also, babies under three months old have immature livers, and can't process alcohol as well, so common sense would say to take it easier if you're bfing a small babe.
#88 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 PM

I voted very rarely because it is definately less than once a week but had been more like once every month or so (with a really nice dinner!) - though up until last night's glass of wine, it had been nearly a year since my last glass Ironically, I had just poured myself a glass of wine to sit down to catch up at MDC and found this thread!

So, now that I read at Kellymom about the infant liver metabolizing the alcohol (which I hadn't thought through before), I will refrain for a few more months until my nursling is older and bigger - that said, I have a question about timing drinks.

I don't understand why it says to avoid nursing while drinking. Since the wine does not go from mouth to nipple in a direct flow, wouldn't it make the most sense to nurse WHILE drinking? The milk in the ducts would be alcohol free and then by the time mom's body metabolizes the alcohol, it wouldn't really be sitting in the milk at all.... no?

Can someone throw some clarification in there for me?
#89 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Alcohol doesn't really sit in the milk at all. It passes in and out as it does your bloodstream. I think there's a lot depending on the timing. Are you drinking on an empty stomach? How strong is the alcohol in your drink, etc..
Sometimes, depending on what your drinking, it doesn't take long to feel the effects of the alcohol. This is because it has already entered into your bloodstream. Same with it entering into your milk.
It all depends...
#90 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Yes, this does make sense... so:

nursing while doing tequilla shots = bad idea

nursing while eating a wonderful dinner while drinking a nice pinot noir = better idea

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page