no need to pump & dump with alcohol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2003, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I'm new here and a new mother to 10 day old Ruby Maurine. I saw a previous post about alcohol and whether or not to pump and dump and I thought I'd share some information I found helpful, comforting, and suprising. I read this in The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman, M.D. There is no need to pump and dump when the mother drinks alcohol. The biggest risk to the baby is the mother being too drunk to properly care for her child. Yes it is true the amount of alcohol present in the mother's blood is the same as in her breast milk. However, when the baby drinks this milk it does not transfer into the baby's blood stream in the same amount. The baby will NOT get drunk.

In many jusisdictions, you are considered too drunk to drive if you have .08-.10% alcohol in your blood. A non alcoholic drink (like Odouls) has alcohol level .6%. You can drink this all day and all night and it won't affect you. This is actually more than seven times more alcohol than mother's milk will contain if the mother has a Blood alcohol level of .08% How is this likely to harm the baby?

Hooray, we do not have to be saints to breast feed!!! Just don't get drunk and drop the kid

User Tag List