Baby nursing every single hour... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else or any encouragement to get through this? She eats for 30 minutes, then breaks for 30...then eats for 30..so from start to start it's every hour....I hardly get a break from her nursing. I'm starting to resent it a bit and need some encouragement!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#2 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 05:30 PM

I remember dd goign through a growth spurt around 3-4weeks. She seemed to eat non-stop for a while! And then as soon as it started she started spreading out her meals again.

It does get better!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM

I know how you feel. My DS did this but has gone to every 2 to 3 hours now at 10 weeks. She's still very, very tiny and will space her feedings out more in time.
#4 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM

my second baby was like this. it really seemed like he was nursing constantly, and he pretty much was.

he still loves nursing, and at 22 months nurses as much as my 2 month old (who is a get down to business type nurser) and sometimes more, but he did stop nursing all the time at some point, so it does get better. we have a really special relationship, and his milkies fix everything. now that i have another baby who is so drastically different, i find i actually miss the constant nursing.
#5 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Yep, mine does that too when she is awake!!!!

ETA: By the end of the night when we are approaching bedtime (which, btw, is anywhere from 5-7am for us!), I am looking for excuses to put her down for a few minutes.. hand her to my husband, let her spend a few minutes in her swing, something... just to give my boobs a break! After we sleep for a few hours I feel fine again, but after the all-night marathon, I do get frustrated too! You are not alone.
#6 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 PM

It passes and then they run off and won't even give you a hug.

Or something, I have no idea, DD still gets offered every hour to hour and a half when she's awake. But she never nurses longer than 15 minutes at a time.

It's most likely a growth spurt, but you never know with a babe. They're unpredictable in both good and bad ways.
#7 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM

It won't last forever! DD did that for a while and I was ready to scream-ouch. But she lengthened it out before long. Totally normal.
#8 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 07:31 PM

totally normal...hang in there, she's working hard to build up your supply, right?
#9 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM

My DS did that and it drove me crazy - I thought it would never end. Use the time to nap (lay down & nurse), read, watch TV, etc. Or can you sling her while she nurses?

It does pass after the 3-4 week mark.
#10 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Get a good book and read with the other hand. Then maybe you won't resent it as much and babe will still get plenty to drink!

My DD is spacing her feedings a little more at 9w, but we were totally there for awhile.
#11 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 PM
cmg

That was us for nearly 2 mos - she's finally "slowed down" and I sometimes get a whole 45 min awake and not eating . Don't know if this applies, but one thing we finally figured out was that she has a *really* hard time going to sleep - takes a sling plus dark plus white noise plus movement, and she's happier if she just peed and pooped. We spent several twelve hour days where she would fall asleep for maybe ten minutes after nursing, then wake herself up, scream, and want to nurse again to make it better... So now we're a little more pro-active about getting her to sleep/nap and we're all a lot happier (and the food supply gets a break!).
#12 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM

my daughter ate almost constantly when she was a newborn. Our couch has a permanant inmprint from where I'd sit and nurse her all day long.
#13 of 17 Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouragement. I can remember my son doing this but not this early and my "baby blues" weren't the same with him as they are with her. She will be 4 weeks on Tuesday. I think I am just so down about everything that this one thing that I cannot control is driving me nuts. I just need to surrender that this is how it is for now and enjoy the rest.

Problem is I still have a toddler who wants me to interact and a husband who comes home and expects dinner and such. I guess life goes on even when you have a little one.

She doesn't totally love the sling yet, so that is something I will just have to dabble with over time and see if she warms to it.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#14 of 17 Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM

A suggestion: you might want to start a post for tips for being a parent of a toddler while frequent breastfeeding for ideas like the one about the sling. A lot of people have been through that! Maybe a heart to heart with your man would be helpful about his expectation of dinner when there's a nursing baby in the house, or, some moms put dinner in a crockpot at breakfast time and then it's dealt with.

About whether it's normal and why:

Yes it is most likely a growth spurt.

Breastfeeding is an amazing mechanism that allows a baby to regulate their heartbeat, breathing, temperature, antibodies they need to fight illness, and pain relief from endorphins! So there are "frequency days" (and weeks) like this that are completely normal.

Whatever the reason (probably a growth spurt) this is normal. It's also normal for you to feel burned out.

When they get older there are more reasons, hitting milestones (sometimes they pratice muscle movements in their sleep like crawling!) teething pain...

It's all normal.

It's good exercise for their jaw and mouth development too. BF babies are less likely to need braces or speech therapy.

Sources for this post include Katherine Dettwyler, Dr. William Sears, and http://www.kellymom.com

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#15 of 17 Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 PM

My ds is 3 mos now and the first couple of months he did that, nursed constantly, and then sometimes he'd only eat maybe 3 times in a day! Now he has good days and bad ones, but believe me it gets a lot better and doesn't last very long!
#16 of 17 Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM

It looks like your baby is brand new! This is SO totally normal and I promise you it will get better once she gets a little older! They have so many growth spurts in that first month or two and it sounds like you are following her cues and doing a splendid job! I remember how tiring those days can get, it is hard but they will get better, I promise!
#17 of 17 Old 01-26-2007, 03:22 PM

I agree it's time to talk to your husband about the dinner expectation. Nursing a newborn and trying to cook every night is a lot of work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page