Swollen under armpit, very sore-breastfeeding related and what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am a new mom, only breastfeeding for 5 days now and I am still engorged since my milk dropped 2 days ago. I am pumping(finally today) and BFing now, and today I started beig VERY tender and sore under my right armpit. It is swollen to the touch and hurts when I move!

Is this ducts? And should I be doing something about it or will it go away as I BF more?

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 AM

are you wearing an underwire bra? If you are take that thing off mama and get a nice soft bra on. Try a hot shower and massage the sore spot down towards the nipple. I really like to manually express what ever I massage down. And several times a day use a warm pack and massage towards the nipple then nurse the baby. watch for fever and flu like symptoms. if you get those call your care provider right away.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

~Carla~ LOVING~ LIFE~
Homebirthing, somewhat crunchy, single mom of ~5~.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 AM

about the underwire.... i have bras that fit great and took the wire out then u don t have to buy new bras! good luck !
Old 01-26-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
Ok, so I am a new mom, only breastfeeding for 5 days now and I am still engorged since my milk dropped 2 days ago. I am pumping(finally today) and BFing now, and today I started beig VERY tender and sore under my right armpit. It is swollen to the touch and hurts when I move!

Is this ducts? And should I be doing something about it or will it go away as I BF more?
I have ducts in my right armpit. When the milk first came it, it was very sore there. You could try applying some heat to it - either a buckwheat hot "water bottle" or a warm wash cloth. I also have a swollen lymph gland in the right, armpit, too. GOOD LUCK & CONGRATS!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM

went thru this myself! turned out to be extra breast tissue. the soreness subsided after a few weeks.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:36 PM

I had the exact same thing and it totally scared me! But a nice warm shower and a little massage, and 2-3 days later it was totally gone.

User Tag List