I Just Got My Period! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have only been breastfeeding for 8 weeks. Isn't breastfeeding supposed to supress ovulation for at least a year? The cramps are unreal. I just had my first postpartum appointment last Friday and didn't have any symptoms of PMS
or anything. My ds was 8 weeks old yesterday and I woke up in the middle of the night spotting, and today I'm flowing pretty heavily. Has this happened to any of you, and if so, were your cycles regular afther this first postpartum period as you continued breastfeeding? I'd love some feedback. I want to get a DivaCup, but I don't want to spend the $40 and not use it for two years, IYKWIM. What a pain...I'm 45 years old-I loved not having my period while I was pregnant! Never mind the 7 weeks of lochia...!
#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 AM

WIth my first, I got 7 months off.

With my second, I got 6 months off.

With my third, I only got 3 or 4 months off.

The doctor said it could come back early, come one, stay away.... you name it, it could happen.

Sorry you weren't one of the lucky ones Maybe it will be the first and last for a long time.
#3 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 AM

With my both of mine I was still spotting on and off at 8 weeks. Talk about a pain! I thought the post partum flow was never going to end... and then it and I don't remember with my first how long but it's been 4 mos. with my second.
#4 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 AM

Mine came back pretty quick, even with exclusive round the clock nursing.
I had about 7-8 weeks PP flow, then a few weeks after that stopped I had my first period and they've been like clockwork since.

Some of us are just lucky I guess
#5 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 AM

My lochia stopped at about 5.5 weeks PP (I did have a little random spotting at 7.5 weeks PP) and AF came back at 11.5 weeks PP, despite only giving DD the occasional bottle of EBM while I was in class and some occasional pacifier use. (DD has some very high sucking needs and will literally stay latched on for hours on end, even through sleep, and unfortunately it's just not practical for me to keep her on the breast all the time.) I've known women who worked f/t and their DC had 3-4 bottles a day and still didn't get AF for nearly a year!

I seem to have AF again and am only 14 weeks PP now. I'm not sure what that's about since I have PCOS and used to go 7 weeks or more between AF's at times, and have never had a cycle under 25 days long. Maybe just my body adjusting?
#6 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 AM

I wish bfing did keep af away for a year *sigh* mine came back the week ds turned 5months old and has been irregular annoying and downright depressing since

There is no way to know if you will be regular from here on out or not. There have been more than a few woman end up getting a surprise pg while nursing because of that old saying about bfing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM

I had a period at 8 weeks then not again until 7 1/2 months now I get heavy period then 2 weeks later I hit a light period then 2 weeks after another heavy period then 2 weeks again and another light period
#8 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 AM

I got mine at 3 months pp and it was regular until 7 months when I had a 6 week cycle. That was scary. There were many pregnancy tests used in our house that month. Not sure what will happen in month 8...
#9 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

So glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this insanity. The flow is really heavy, tho. If it does not let up by tomorrow, I am going to call my
advice nurse because it is really bright red, not old blood. It may be heavy because ds is a heavy nurser. Thanks for all the input, ladies!
#10 of 10 Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM

I got my period when my ds was a little over 5 months. I exclusively breastfeed and pumped while working. The first time I had bad pains a few days before my period, and this month I am in excrutiating pain...I believe my period is coming!! Yikes!!! Has anyone experienced this as well? I never really had painful periods before the baby...is this normal? PS I went to the dr today...he thinks its my period coming....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page