Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrne View Post
Dear Moms,

I am bfing my DS, just going to be 4 months old tomorrow. He is a really big baby -- almost 10 lbs at birth and 19 lbs already now (and 29" tall), and I am having to bf every 1 to 2 hours to keep him happy, except for his first stretch at night, when he sleeps 4 or 5 hours. I have assumed that the bfing frequency is because he is trying to stimulate the most milk possible. He wants about 24 oz. between 9 am and 5 pm. (I know because sometimes I pump.) I think about 40 oz. total in a 24-hour period.I was hoping to bf exclusively (no other foods) for his first 6 months but now I am questioning whether that will be possible.

My bfing books say "after 6 months milk no longer meets all of a baby's nutritional needs." My questions is: Do they mean caloric needs? Or vitamins and protein and things like that? Because my DS's 19 lbs make him the size of the average 9-month old -- and in addition he is growing faster than any 9-month-old. I just wonder how much longer I will be able to provide him with all the calories he needs. Also, it would be nice not to have to bf quite so frequently -- every 2-3 hours. Would be great. Should I think about supplementing with some rice cereal?

What do you think, webmoms?
ok well my youngest is 7m and approx 16-17lbs and he nurses every 1-2hours.

breastmilk is easier to digest and so usually does so in about 90 minutes (an hour and a half) it is not unusual to nurse more often than a ff baby would get a bottle as formula is more difficult to digest (usually takes 3-4+hours)

ds#1 was 9lbs 10oz at birth and I wish I could say I EBF'd him but i didn't. not because he was too big but because I was too dumb.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amris View Post
Mine nurses rarely but she sucks me dry like a shop vac on a wet carpet.
omg this made me

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#33 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 PM

his size doesn't have anything to do with the frequency of his nursing. alice was a 5.5 lb peanut at birth and at 18 months weighs around 20lbs. she nursed constantly the first 6 months of her life.
#34 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoon View Post
My 10 and 1/2 lb at birth ds was exclusively bf until 6 months and then almost exclusively for several months after that as he didn't really take to solids well for a while.
Ditto. DD#1 was just under 10lbs at birth and grew very rapidly. She was 16.5 lbs at 4 months. I know she was 20lbs at maybe 8 months? She was 24lbs at one and 33lbs by 21 months. She didn't start solids until 6 months. Didn't have them every day until probably 9 months and didn't have them contribute any significant amount of her calories until she was older than 1. DD#2 was 10.5lbs at birth and just a hair under 17lbs at 4 months. Now she was smaller and so she was only I think 22lbs at 1 and is 26lbs now at 22 months. She started solids somewhat at 6 months. She didn't eat them with any sort of regularity at all until she was 9 months and didn't eat three meals a day until well even now she rarely has three meals a day. Both girls did nurse quite a bit and yeah a big baby may nurse more often because they are bigger and have more weight to support but overall it's totally doable even with a big baby. Good luck!
#35 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM

According to the Canadian Pediatric Society, the concern re: what bm might be lacking at 6 mos is iron BUT that is up for debate in other things I've read -- I think on kellymom.com (which others have posted links to) it suggests towards the 12 mos mark, iron and zinc MAY be a concern in an ebf baby but then, supplements are possible.

Anyway, just another vote to delay solids as long as possible. I will admit that we started DS (29 mos old) at 5 mos because he was showing signs and at that time, my ped was still recommending 4-6 mos. But he was born 9 lbs 3 oz, had doubled his birth weight on bm alone at 4 mos, and you know what? It was a good thing we didn't expect him to nurse less frequently after we introduced solids, because he didn't

As others have said, there is often a growth spurt at 12 weeks, so introducing solids at this point could interfere with the nursing needed to bring your supply up to his needs.

Also on kellymom.com, someone has probably posted the exact link already, there is a bit about a 12 mos old really only needing 25% of their calories from anything other than bm (or something like that).
#36 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
At 18 months, my daughter was still about 98% breastfed. She would eat a couple crackers a day and that was it besides breastmilk. She was 25lbs!

Keep going strong! Breastmilk changes with the baby and meets his or her needs all the time. It is supposed to be the primary food source until at least 12 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Size has absolutely nothing to do with how long breastmilk is "enough" My dd didn't eat as much as a tablespoon of food a day until she'd been 25lbs for awhile.

Your breastmilk is plenty.

Every organization says no solids until at LEAST 6 months.

After that, remember that solids are for fun in the first year. Nutrition needs to be your milk for the whole first year- minimum.

Another vote to skip the rice cereal. Useless at best.

-Angela
:
My DS has been 25 pounds for at least a few months now, and is 17 months... and like both posters I quoted, only eats a few bites at best most days. I'm thrilled when he occasionally eats for a good 10-15 minutes at the dinner table with us, but when he does that he's usually eating one grain of rice at a time!

He is perfectly healthy, developing wonderfully, and LOVES his breastmilk. It kinda makes me proud to realize he's done so well with so very little extra. He didn't show any interest in solids at all (unless you count interest being the interest to smear it and throw it on the floor...) until 15 months. And he will only eat if he feeds himself, no help from mommy allowed!

Anyway, just know you're not alone. I know I came here freaking out when he was 8 months and still not eating, I thought I really needed to force him to eat solids, but guess what, I didn't! He's still been growing and developing wonderfully. :

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#37 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

I seem to be the odd one out for a loof these conversations, but my DS is 4 mo and we have stared some cereal. About 1 tbs a day. Our ped said the 6 month mark does have to do with iron because they have used up all the iron they stole from your placenta, but if you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins the baby should be fine;like pp said, they can check it if you are concerned. We are doing cereal because he has shown sooo much interest in foods and the timing has seemed right for us. Just b/c it works for us though does not mean it is for everyone(that seems to be our life statement )
Go with your gut, momma. We have the best instincts if we trust them and not let everyone else sway our decisions!
#38 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Fellow webmoms,

I can't thank you enough for all the info (particularly the links to www.kellymom.com and the WHO references ) and especially the support. What a wonderful community.

You've collectively convinced me I should continue to EBF my DS until at least 6 months if at all possible. Here's the next question: how do I pump enough to satisfy him while I'm at work? At the minumum (and let's assume for now that I can get by with the minimum) I have an 8-hour workday and a 30-minute commute on either end of that. DS stays at home so I have to have a 9-hour supply of milk for him, around 20-22 oz for the 9 hours. When I pump I can put aside maybe 14-16 oz. Anyway, that's a 4-8 oz. milk shortage per workday.

Things I have already done: I have a good quality electric pump (Medela) so that's not a problem. I always double-pump. I pump every 3 hours that I'm away from DS, as recommended to me by various breastfeeding books. For the record, tt takes me about 50 minutes to drain my boobs and I usually have to resort to extra manual stimulation of my breasts along with the pump. I also pump extra in morning and evening sessions. I pump weekends as well, but that only takes care of Monday's shortage and maybe Tuesday's. At night and mornings and evenings, I feed my DS on demand, which as I mentioned is every 1-2 hours until bedtime. I am being sure to eat a lot of soy protein (12-18 g/day) because of its reputation as a galactogogue and that does seem to help, it's just not enough. I've been looking into references for "how to increase your milk supply" and most just say "nurse more often" which is a laugh when you are 20 miles away from your baby all day. Another unhelpful suggestion I find in books and on websites is to cut back on working hours -- right now I am the sole support of my family so that is not an option.

Hence some of my motivation for possibly supplementing with cereal. If I am going to avoid that, I need your best suggestions! One was fennel and/or fenugreek -- any experience of this, good or bad? Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.
#39 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awood11 View Post
I seem to be the odd one out for a loof these conversations, but my DS is 4 mo and we have stared some cereal.
Be aware that all major groups (including AAP, WHO, LLL etc) suggest waiting until 6 months for solids.

Cereal is nutritionally void.

Babies are not ready for solids until they can self-feed.

-Angela
#40 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Here's the next question: how do I pump enough to satisfy him while I'm at work?
Is he sleeping with you and nursing through the night? Could you add a pumping session in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning?

good luck!

-Angela
#41 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Best of luck Dybrne. It sounds like you're doing great!
I don't have pumping advice as I only had to pump sporadically and was lucky enough to never have supply issues. But I just wanted to chime in and say that my first son was 9lbs 11oz at birth and nursed a LOT as well. I did start him on solids at about 6 months (or shortly after) and he loved them. But still nursed a LOT . Solids didn't replace breastmilk at all until close to age 1.
Baby number 2 was 10 lbs. 4 oz at birth and I exclusively bf until about 9 months. By that time I was really into the convenience of breastfeeding and I liked the purity of his diet. He nursed a lot as well. I just decided not to think about it as much as possible. I just accepted it as part of our lives and stopped even considering how much or how often he was nursing. Both kids grew normally and developed well.
Now neither of them nurse anymore and I remember fondly the time when I knew their diet was pure and perfect for them.
#42 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM

how about oatmeal? a bowl of oatmeal (like scottish oats, mmmmm) a day should help with supply issues if you cant pump enough. also fennugreek, and WATER make sure you are drinking LOTS of water.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#43 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 PM

I usually pumped around 12 oz per work day, but my DS never drank more than 12 oz during a work day, so it worked out fine. 20-22 oz is way more than mine ever needed in 9 hours. Don't know how much yours is getting per bottle, but most babies while breastfeeding won't take more than 6 oz per feeding maximum (another random Kellymom factoid), so if he drinks more than 6 oz at one feeding I'd wonder if he's being overfed, with too much in the bottle. And then, my kids took three 4-oz bottles or two 6-oz bottles, as they got older, but it was still 12 oz per workday, so if there's more than three 6-oz bottles in a work day that would again make me check on possible overfeeding. Especially because you said your baby takes 40 oz in 24 hours and that's higher than average.

Maybe put a little less in each bottle and then try a pacifier or something else to comfort him. Every baby is different, of course, but this is just a thought.

If he still needs to take 20-22 oz per day, and it's not an overfeeding problem, I just don't know if I would be able to meet that demand, since my average daily output was 12-16 oz., and you seem to be doing everything right. Maybe encourage reverse cycling by offering to nurse more at night( which would require you to pump less during the day), or try herbs: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

Quote:
Fellow webmoms,

I can't thank you enough for all the info (particularly the links to www.kellymom.com and the WHO references ) and especially the support. What a wonderful community.

You've collectively convinced me I should continue to EBF my DS until at least 6 months if at all possible. Here's the next question: how do I pump enough to satisfy him while I'm at work? At the minumum (and let's assume for now that I can get by with the minimum) I have an 8-hour workday and a 30-minute commute on either end of that. DS stays at home so I have to have a 9-hour supply of milk for him, around 20-22 oz for the 9 hours. When I pump I can put aside maybe 14-16 oz. Anyway, that's a 4-8 oz. milk shortage per workday.

Things I have already done: I have a good quality electric pump (Medela) so that's not a problem. I always double-pump. I pump every 3 hours that I'm away from DS, as recommended to me by various breastfeeding books. For the record, tt takes me about 50 minutes to drain my boobs and I usually have to resort to extra manual stimulation of my breasts along with the pump. I also pump extra in morning and evening sessions. I pump weekends as well, but that only takes care of Monday's shortage and maybe Tuesday's. At night and mornings and evenings, I feed my DS on demand, which as I mentioned is every 1-2 hours until bedtime. I am being sure to eat a lot of soy protein (12-18 g/day) because of its reputation as a galactogogue and that does seem to help, it's just not enough. I've been looking into references for "how to increase your milk supply" and most just say "nurse more often" which is a laugh when you are 20 miles away from your baby all day. Another unhelpful suggestion I find in books and on websites is to cut back on working hours -- right now I am the sole support of my family so that is not an option.

Hence some of my motivation for possibly supplementing with cereal. If I am going to avoid that, I need your best suggestions! One was fennel and/or fenugreek -- any experience of this, good or bad? Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

Single mom of 2 boys
#44 of 45 Old 02-06-2007, 04:03 AM

Hang in there! My first was 23 poundsat 4 months. He sat up at 4 mos, crawled by 6 mos, walked by 9 mos. He did not eat baby food-EVER! He was basically breastfed with a few morsels here and there until he was about 18 mos old. I think he really needed the nutrition from BM. He is 6 now and weighs 68 pounds. Not a spec of fat on him. Lean as can be but BIG!!! Most people think he is 10. I am only 5'2" so he is almost as big as me. I do have to say that after about 6 mos his feeding got easier. He got more efficient and was able to go longer. It is quite amazing watching them grow!
#45 of 45 Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
hi there welcome to MDC.
My baby is very similair to your baby. At 4 mo he was 18 lbs and ate every 1-2 hours. I know what it is like and now at 9 months he nurses every 2-3 hours. THese babes are just big boys.
or girls ( says mama to 18 pounder 4 months old girl)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page