What size baby can exclusively bf? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear Moms,

I am bfing my DS, just going to be 4 months old tomorrow. He is a really big baby -- almost 10 lbs at birth and 19 lbs already now (and 29" tall), and I am having to bf every 1 to 2 hours to keep him happy, except for his first stretch at night, when he sleeps 4 or 5 hours. I have assumed that the bfing frequency is because he is trying to stimulate the most milk possible. He wants about 24 oz. between 9 am and 5 pm. (I know because sometimes I pump.) I think about 40 oz. total in a 24-hour period.I was hoping to bf exclusively (no other foods) for his first 6 months but now I am questioning whether that will be possible.

My bfing books say "after 6 months milk no longer meets all of a baby's nutritional needs." My questions is: Do they mean caloric needs? Or vitamins and protein and things like that? Because my DS's 19 lbs make him the size of the average 9-month old -- and in addition he is growing faster than any 9-month-old. I just wonder how much longer I will be able to provide him with all the calories he needs. Also, it would be nice not to have to bf quite so frequently -- every 2-3 hours. Would be great. Should I think about supplementing with some rice cereal?

What do you think, webmoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 PM

I want to hear the advice for this one! I know rice cereal would not be something I would start with. I've had friends say it constipated their bebe.
My ds is 10 months old and we started with avocado at 6 months. He loves to eat but also loves to nurse. He's getting the bulk of his calories from breastmilk. I think it's fine and they do get all their nutrients and more from us.
Guru breastfeeding mamas ... I'm all eyes. Will be subbing this
#3 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM

As long as he is gaining weight ok, and getting plenty of wet/dirty nappies i wouldn't worry all babies come different shapes and sizes, my dc's all fed around every 1-2hrs at 4mths sometimes more, as for giveing rice cereal it probebly won't make any difference to how often he feeds i tried this and it made no difference. it just sounds to me like your ds really likes his mummy milk
take care

Becky

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#4 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:36 PM

I believe breastmilk has more calories per ounce than any other food you could possibly feed - does someone have the data on this?

All I know is, at 11 months, my 23 lb. dd still only plays at eating food - she is a booby baby for sure - and with a mouthfull of teeth, and busy all the time, very energetic and healthy-

HTH
#5 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:56 PM

hi there welcome to MDC.
My baby is very similair to your baby. At 4 mo he was 18 lbs and ate every 1-2 hours. I know what it is like and now at 9 months he nurses every 2-3 hours. THese babes are just big boys. I nursed my son till he was 7 mo before I gave him any solids or cereal. He did just great. It sounds like your baby is doing great too. Right now BM is the very best thing for his growing brain and body. Rice cereal is mostly empty calories and I personally would not give it to him.

"My bfing books say "after 6 months milk no longer meets all of a baby's nutritional needs." Even this statement is not fully true as numerous studies have shown that bf babies can exclusively nurse up to a full year and still be perfectel healthy- even big babies.

Good luck with your baby. Your doing fine.
#6 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 07:00 PM

My 10 and 1/2 lb at birth ds was exclusively bf until 6 months and then almost exclusively for several months after that as he didn't really take to solids well for a while.

He grew like a weed and is still a big healthy kid at 3yrs. If your babe is growing, having lots of wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight, then he is doing fine.

It can be hard to be patient with nursing that often when it seems as if other people's kids may go longer between nursing sessions, but my guy was always a 1-2 hour nurser. He was big and he loved to nurse! It did eventually taper off, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Your milk is the most nutritionally complete thing you can give him right now. As long as you have no true supply issues, then he is getting the best and most concentrated nutrition possible. Nothing you could add would be better than what he is getting. Rice cereal is certainly nutritionally inferior to breastmilk and can actually be counter-productive.

I think the (arbitrary) 6 month mark is more about vitamins etc. than calories, and even that is up for debate. Most babies like to eat some food about 6 months but many a baby has thrived on bm and very little in the way of snacks for many months more than that!

Hang in there!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#7 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 PM

My baby is that exact same way (same size as yours at that age too i do believe) he is just a hippo baby. And still only has bm...with the occasional taste of "real" food

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#8 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Remember, just because your baby looks big on the outside, doesn't mean he's mature on the inside. 4 months is still a bit young to start solids on. The gut isn't fully mature yet and is still suspectible to allergies. Like a pp said, babies come in all shapes and sizes, and babies know how to get more milk out of mommy to fill their needs. If baby is growing and wetting dipes fine, there is nothing to worry about!

I also wanted to mention that women have different breast capacities. Perhaps your baby nurses more because you have a small capacity. It's like...some women's breasts serve a 3 course meal at once, while others serve frequent appetizers. You'll get full either way, it's just at a different rate. It doesn't mean you're not producing enough milk, not at all! Just that you may be producing smaller portions more frequently. Hope that made sense!

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#9 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 PM

plenty of mothers here have babies who exclusively, or almost exlusively breastfed for a year or more. the only thing I worried about with dd, who never ate more than a few tablespoons of solid food until after 9 months, was iron, and you can easily get a bloodtest to check on that.
It is important to wait until at least six months to introduce solids, though. Studies show babies who get solids before then are at increased risk of illness including diarrhea and pneumonia.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#10 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 07:42 PM

Gah, I sat here Googling for a few minutes but I give up. I was looking for the reference to prove something I remember referring to very often--it's supposedly ok for a baby to get between 50 and 100% of their calories from breastmilk inbetween 6 and 12 months.

And I've also read that breastmilk is the most calorically dense food you can possibly feed a baby (c'mon LLL mamas, I know you guys probably have referrences for those statements--??!). So even if you're supplementing with avocado or something else high-fat, chances are your breastmilk has more calories in it and probably better nutrition too.

I notice you mention "ounces"--I'm guessing you know 'cause you're pumping and giving expressed bottles? If that's the case, it would make sense to me (IMO) to have him nursing very often on top of that, because breastpumps aren't nearly as effective as baby is at stimulating milk production

You could possibly try some mother's milk tea or fenugreek caps to up your milk production.. Also make SURE you are eating a good diet for yourself. All those "expert" books tell you breastfeeding can help you lose weight--yahwell, if you're focusing too much on weight you want to lose and not eating enough calories to make milk, then that's gonna cause problems! I know i was *ravenous* when I was nursing my daughter, especially in that first year of her rapid growth. I didn't lose a whole lot of weight cause I was too busy with nursing and eating!!

I know of at least one mama who exclusively breastfed her two girls, and both of them ended up being around 25lbs at only 4 months old! She allowed them to start solids when they showed interest and both her family history and her ped assured her that some babies are just like that--big eaters in the beginning. Those girls both thinned out once they decided to start solids, and by a year old were quite average-sized, with average appetites (and still nursing as well ) HTH!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#11 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM

My bf ds was 7lb 12oz at birth and at 3 1/2mo he's 19lbs. He's not as tall as yours... only 26", he's a chunker! I was the same way, and so was my dad. He was eating around 2oz(very rarely pump) every 2hrs but right before 3mo he mixed things up and now he eats more and doesn't go for a long stretch at night... it's still every 1-2hrs. So you're not alone with a big boy!

I just know Breastmilk is the best! La Leche League says:
"Human milk remains the single most important food in your baby's diet until his first birthday."
http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/firstfoods.html

Many resources are now saying it's best to wait to introduce solids till 6 mo.
" By six to seven months of age the intestines are more mature and able to filter out more of the offending allergens. This is why it's particularly important to delay solids if there is a family history of food allergy"
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#12 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM

At 18 months, my daughter was still about 98% breastfed. She would eat a couple crackers a day and that was it besides breastmilk. She was 25lbs!

Keep going strong! Breastmilk changes with the baby and meets his or her needs all the time. It is supposed to be the primary food source until at least 12 months.

Mama of three.

#13 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 09:08 PM

My dd started out at 7lbs 14oz, and at 4 months was 17 pounds. She nursed every 45 - 90 minutes during the day and about 2 every 2 hours at night. I know she was getting enough breasmilk because she was eating that much and growing. She was exclusively breastfed until 9 months old when she showed interest in solids, and just in the past month has started eating solids for more than just a taste and more for nutrition. (Was 36 lbs @15 mos)

So, yes, big babies are just fine being exclusively breastfed.
Many littler babies nurse that often, too. It doesn't mean they're not getting enough milk either. Some babies just like to nurse a lot!

I know it stinks sometimes to nurse that often. I remember wishing that I could make it through one roadtrip where I didn't have to sit in the back with my boob hanging out the entire time. But they get older and the feedings space out! At 17 months dd only nurses every 3 hours, day and night! A big difference!

Lini

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#14 of 45 Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM

My first ds was 20lbs at 4 months, and he was exclusively breastfed past one year (he refused solids and would become so angry at eating them would throw up) At on year he was 36lbs he was huge but he was still 36 pounds at 3 and now at 10 he is 56 lbs so he was just a big baby

my 2nd ds was 18lbs at 4 months
my 3rd only 16 lbs at 4 months, but all of them were exclusively breastfed until a minimum of 6 months They nursed often but were just big eaters
#15 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM

DD was EBF until about 11.5m. At 12m she was 27lbs.

My supply was fine, I fed on demand (and all through the night), and she was at the top of the charts. There were days I was tired, but I think that had more to do with missing sleep than BF.

I hope this is helpful!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#16 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 AM

Great advice so far!

Also, remember that what you can pump probably DOES NOT equal what baby gets when nursing - baby is far more efficient and effective than a pump and she gets more at the breast while nursing than you can get from pumping. So try not to get all wrapped up in the numbers of ounces.

Read the baby, not the books. Does baby seem interested in and ready for solids? Is he sitting unassisted? Grabbing for your food? Watching your fork go into your mouth and open his mouth wide as you take each bite? Is his pincer grasp good enough to pick up small bites?

These are usually signs that come along sometime after 6 months or so. Watch the baby, and wait until he's ready.

Honestly? I think the books are kind of a bunch of hooey. Who's to say that at 6 months BFIng loses anything? Or that every single baby needs somehing else at that exact age?
#17 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 03:22 AM

I also have a frequent nurser - DD will nurse as often as every hour some days, and usually every 2 hours during the day. She's 3 1/2 months old. However, she's tiny (10.5lbs) so I don't think your DS's frequent nursing is necessarily a sign that he needs more to fill him up since he's big. For myself, I'm fairly certain that I have a smaller capacity. The best I have ever gotten pumping is 3oz on one side, which has only happened a small handful of times, and that's after not nursing for 4 hours while I'm at school. My guess is that DD probably takes in about an ounce more than that (when she takes a bottle while I'm gone it's usually 4oz) so I'm going to guess that she eats 2-3oz every 2 hours. Perhaps you also have a smaller capacity and that's why your DS nurses so often?

Anyway, I was mainly posting to let you know that it's totally normal for some babies, big or small, to nurse frequently. =)
#18 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 AM

I think that nursing every 2-3 hours is very, very normal for a 4 month old. As you can tell they are growing and developing quickly at that age and need to eat a lot.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#19 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 AM

I have heard that Starting baby on Rice is not the best idea.

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeat...rish-baby.html

This website is full of info on it.

I would maybe start doing bananas once a day to give your breasts a rest. (my baby didn't agree with the egg yolk recommended) BUT

Also consider that right around 4 months they have some furrious growth spurt and it might subside again soon. Try to hold out longer before introducing solids if you can.

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#20 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 11:32 AM

My son was 11 lb, 14 oz when he was born. Now, at 5 months old, he weighs 21 lbs. (But, you know, he doesn't look all that big to me--it's the other babies that look tiny )

Anyway, he is EBF and he still nurses every 2-3 hours. And, during the day, if it's been 2 hours, I offer. I try to get him to eat as much as possible during the day so that he doesn't need as much at night (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but at least I tried. LOL)
#21 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Size has absolutely nothing to do with how long breastmilk is "enough" My dd didn't eat as much as a tablespoon of food a day until she'd been 25lbs for awhile.

Your breastmilk is plenty.

Every organization says no solids until at LEAST 6 months.

After that, remember that solids are for fun in the first year. Nutrition needs to be your milk for the whole first year- minimum.

Another vote to skip the rice cereal. Useless at best.

-Angela
#22 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Nope! They don't need anything else!

Three of my boys have been more than 20lbs at 4 months, and none of the three ever had food before six months. In fact, for all but one, it was closer to a year, except for the occasional bite of banana or something.

You're doing great!
#23 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Hi, I think that Breast Milk is compleatly nutritive for as long as baby is nursing regularly. I don't see why you would question the value of your milk if you have been the only food proviser for him and he is growing so rapidly. Sounds like he doesn't need any more calories especially not empty rice cereal. As soon as he can starp playing with toys of crawling about he will not want to nurse as frequently. Hang in there a little longer.
I like what Nourishing Traditions (Sally Fallon) has to say about Feeding babies. She reccommends feeding the cooked yolk of and egg a few times per week for the vitamin pack.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#24 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 PM

No matter how big your baby is, his gut is immature until 6 months old. If you introduce solids prior to that time, you risk serious harm to his digestive system.

As far as breastmilk being enough... your body will make sufficient milk for him, whether he is 5 pounds or 50 pounds.

How do you think your baby GOT that big? Not on solids! Obviously breastmilk was enough to make him 19 pounds, trust that it'll be enough to make him 20+, too.

He nurses frequently because that's the way he likes to nurse. Mine nurses rarely but she sucks me dry like a shop vac on a wet carpet. She sleeps through the night, gets up in the morning and takes in 8 ounces in 10 minutes. Then in the evening, she nurses every hour for 5 hours straight....

That's just her way. Your baby's way is to eat every 2 hours.

I'm a major over-producer, so my little one literally gets all of her milk out of one breast per feeding. I have to pump the second breast for the first morning feeding. That's just our way. For us, it's the right way. For you, it would be the wrong way.

But that doesn't mean there's a problem with your milk!
#25 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrne View Post
I am having to bf every 1 to 2 hours to keep him happy, except for his first stretch at night, when he sleeps 4 or 5 hours. I have assumed that the bfing frequency is because he is trying to stimulate the most milk possible.
My 17 month old nurses like that too. He's been eating solids for the last 10 months and it hasn't made any difference in his nursing frequency. Some babies just like to nurse frequently... it's normal.
#26 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM

Your baby's frequent breastfeeding is normal. My dd was a similar size and nursed at least as often, and she refused to eat any solids until 9 months.

The World Health organization says that solids before 6 months are linked with the baby becoming ill with frequent infections more often, compared to babies who wait 6 months.
http://www.medbroadcast.com/health_n...id=6140&rss=67

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#27 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM

I just want to agree with the others. My baby was 9lbs, 7 oz at birth. He is now 7 months old and 25 lbs. I believe he was around 19 lbs at 4 months. I pump, too. Some days he would take 25-30 oz of breastmilk while I was gone!

Things have now slowed down. My son only gets a few bites of solids a day, and he only eats about 12 oz max of breastmilk each day while I'm gone. He nurses every 2 hours (about) at night.

Perhaps it is a growth spurt. But know that you shouldn't start your baby on solids yet and he doesn't need anything but your milk. You ARE making enough, and no other food you could give him would be any better.
#28 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I think that nursing every 2-3 hours is very, very normal for a 4 month old. As you can tell they are growing and developing quickly at that age and need to eat a lot.
I nurse on the hour. DD weighed 8lbs exactly at birth and now weighs almost 20lbs at 7 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrne View Post
Dear Moms,

I am bfing my DS, just going to be 4 months old tomorrow. He is a really big baby -- almost 10 lbs at birth and 19 lbs already now (and 29" tall), and I am having to bf every 1 to 2 hours to keep him happy, except for his first stretch at night, when he sleeps 4 or 5 hours. I have assumed that the bfing frequency is because he is trying to stimulate the most milk possible. He wants about 24 oz. between 9 am and 5 pm. (I know because sometimes I pump.) I think about 40 oz. total in a 24-hour period.I was hoping to bf exclusively (no other foods) for his first 6 months but now I am questioning whether that will be possible.

My bfing books say "after 6 months milk no longer meets all of a baby's nutritional needs." My questions is: Do they mean caloric needs? Or vitamins and protein and things like that? Because my DS's 19 lbs make him the size of the average 9-month old -- and in addition he is growing faster than any 9-month-old. I just wonder how much longer I will be able to provide him with all the calories he needs. Also, it would be nice not to have to bf quite so frequently -- every 2-3 hours. Would be great. Should I think about supplementing with some rice cereal?

What do you think, webmoms?
Breastfed babies gain weight a little differently than formula fed babies. They tend to gain a lot of weight in the beginning and then level out at some point. Mine did at 6 months. She went from gaining many lbs. between visits to oz's between visits.

There are some great web resources for breastfed babies, here are some links!

everything you could ever hope to know on starting solids
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

reasons to delay solids
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

normal growth of breastfed babies
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html

AND THIS ONE in particular for you
Is my exclusively breastfed baby gaining too much weight?
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...t-toomuch.html
#29 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Well, here is some info on solids and the nursing toddler, you can see that there is NO reason to rush into feeding solids at 4 months old. And keep in mind they're talking about even some 1 year olds still exclusively nursing, obviously a lot of 1yo weigh over 19 lb. :

Quote:
We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
Entire article is here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

Here's an article on why not to introduce solids till 6 months at the earliest:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I think whatever book you're reading that says you CAN'T exclusively BF past 6 months is full of it. Lots of kids do, there are a lot of babies with allergies that don't have anything but breastmilk for way more than a year, or even 2, and they don't starve.

Both my kids weighed about 24 lb at 4 months old - don't worry, it's not like they keep growing at that rate forever. Weight gain slows down after 4-6 months, they don't keep gaining a pound a week FOREVER, so it's not like baby's going to get so big that you can't provide enough milk. It just doesn't happen like that.

Single mom of 2 boys
#30 of 45 Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM

My 20+lb 6 month old is still exclusively breastfed. He's doing just fine! Babies will nurse and bring your milk supply to meet their needs, some even exclusively breastfeed until 12 months- a friend of our family did that with all six of her kids. I let Henri sit in the high chair and play with banana slices and a sippy cup. He just squishes the banana in his hands, doesn't even try to bring it to his mouth yet, so I know he isn't ready for solids yet. He also cannot sit unassisted yet, so thats another indication that he is not ready. But there isnt any harm in letting baby experiment and play with food! That's all they really need to do in the first year anyway.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page