BF after being off a feeding tube - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is due in May and will have to have heart surgery right after he is born. He will be living in the hospital for a while and will need a breathing tube and a feeding tube (not sure for how long). I was totally devasted when told I couldn't bf. He has to have pre-digested formula in his tube. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a child waiting to learn to bf. Do you think he will still have the instinct to nurse after coming off the feeding tube? I know it is easier to suck from a bottle.
Thanks

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#2 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Oh gosh. I don't really have all the answers for you. How come he has to have formula? Is there any way to give him breastmilk? I would definitely ask more about this. I don't see how formula could be better than breastmilk, but I also have no experience with this. I would suggest pumping regularly as soon as he's born. He might be able to latch on with no problems once he's off the feeding tube, but if not, you can try pumping.
Hopefully, someone else will be better able to answer your question. I'd also suggest posting this on the forum at kellymom.com.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#3 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM

#4 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 AM

A co-worker has a baby who was born with left hypoplastic heart, and also had to have surgery, spend some time in the hospital, and be on the vent with a feeding tube. She pumped and fed the baby breastmilk. Baby is almost a year old now and doing very well. I think the same was done for another baby they know with the same defect, Most NICUs that I am familiar with prefer to give breast milk.
#5 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM

I would definitely get a second, third, or even tenth opinion if you have to. I don't understand why they would give formula when the mother is available and suitable to pump.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#6 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
I would definitely get a second, third, or even tenth opinion if you have to. I don't understand why they would give formula when the mother is available and suitable to pump.
I pretty much agree. Did they explain at all what was meant exactly by predigested formula? Give a brand name?

The only reason I can think of that they would want something "predigested" is that especially at first, baby's heart is going to be consuming enormous amounts of energy just to function. Digestion does take some energy, so they may want to cut down on strain on the body/blood flow being diverted from the heart. HOWEVER, I'm having a hard time thinking of how something else could be more easily digested than your milk (although I'm not an expert on formulas).

What I will say is that there was a sheet up in the pumping room in the Cardiac ICU where my ds was, that said mother's milk was the best thing to feed a baby with a heart defect.
#7 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies! I asked if he could have BM in the feeding tube and she said that there was no way to pre-digest it to put it on. I will definately ask more about that at my next appointment.

#8 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Do you know what exactly they mean by feeding tube? Just an NG tube, or one that goes into the GI tract a little further (like into the duodenum or jejunum, parts of the small intestine?) The further in you go, I think you need simpler proteins to digest. Maybe that's it- all I can think of right now.

If it's just a nasogastric tube (into the nose and to the stomach) then I'm not sure why you would need it "predigested" unless your baby had some other feeding intolerances. An NG tube does not take any sucking on the baby's part to eat, so they don't get nipple preference from the tube per se. My dd had an NG tube until after she came home. We tried nursing, but she never really got the hang of it. I'm still pumping for her after 14 months. I know a lot of NICU moms have done it and gotten all on the breast- it can be pretty difficult. Make sure you have some help by people who KNOW about feeding problems. Not just your friendly neighborhood LC. That was our downfall, I think. Ok, hope that helps. I second (or third?) going over to the NICU forum, for feeding, etc. advice. Hope everything is going ok, and keep us updated when the baby arrives!!!
#9 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM

#10 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 AM

I found a little blurb on this webpage that may help:

Quote:
Allergy: Extensively hydrolyzed formulas ("Predigested")

US: Nutramigen LIPIL, Pregestimil and Alimentum Advance

Canada: Nutramigen, Pregestimil and Alimentum

If your baby develops rashes, is colicky or is extremely fussy, make sure to see a pediatrician right away as these may be symptoms of allergy. To manage cow's milk protein allergy, the AAP recommended the use of extensively hydrolyzed formulas. These types of formulas are usually referred to as "predigested" formulas. The protein content of these formulas have been broken down or "predigested". Extensively hydrolyzed formulas are usually 3 times more expensive than standard formulas. In more extreme cases, completely predigested formula (amino-acid based) such as Neocate is required.

Note: Your pediatrician may also prescribe extensively hydrolyzed formulas for your babies for medical reasons other than allergy.
Here's another resource about what breastmilk contains. It's is very scientific and complete with references:
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/microbiology/milk.html

HTH!

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#11 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
In more extreme cases, completely predigested formula (amino-acid based) such as Neocate is required.
I'm suspecting this would be what they'd want to use. Still don't know if it's really easier to digest than breastmilk.

Honestly, I don't know lots about this in particular, but I would ask, if they're so worried about digestion, why not just do IV nutrition AKA total parenteral nutrition (TPN)? Parenteral means you're totally bypassing the stomach/digestive system. Prior to surgery and being allowed to eat after surgery, my son just had an IV. I have heard of kids who were on TPN for extended periods of time, because their digestive system wasn't working/couldn't handle food. I don't know if there are risks to this (which is why ask the drs) but it would avoid the changes formula will make to baby's gut. I wouldn't obsess over it, but it's worth asking.

Possibly the biggest challenge that you'll have in trying to teach baby to nurse is what's called oral aversion or oral defensiveness. This can happen to babies/kids who have had lots of interventions around their face/mouth/throat, such as breathing tubes, suctioning NG tubes, and feeding NG tubes. Basically they develop a negative association with having things in their mouth, which can cause feeding problems. Your baby will probably qualify for Early Intervention, or whatever the equivalent Birth-to-Three program is where you are, because of the health issues, and long hospitalization. They usually offer free therapies (occupational, physical, speech, etc). Either through them, or privately/through the hospital I would try to find either an occupational or speech therapist who is experienced with oral aversion and feeding issues and get them to work with you and your baby as soon as possible--even while still in the hospital, possibly.

Hope this isn't too much info, I've just been thinking about you and what I would have liked to have known back then.
#12 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Oh, you poor thing! Newborn surgery on top of not being able to feed your baby naturally. Best of thoughts and wishes to you and the family over the next few months.

DD was an early bird (9 weeks early), and was on a feeding tube until she was two weeks old. Her first nutrition was parenteral until my colustrum came in a couple of days later, then all food was BM. She was nursing two weeks later. We did use a pacifier to help stimulate the suckling instinct, but mainly because she hadn't really developed the instinct yet (normally happens in utero, but she was out of utero, so to speak).

One thing that helped us immensely and that I would recommend VERY STRONGLY is that you find out if the NICU has a lactation consultant devoted only to nursing and feeding issues. If not, ask the NICU staff for a recommendation, or scout the area yourself if they don't have any names. The consultant at our NICU was a godsend, since we could schedule appointments of uninterrupted time with her and she had a large pile of scientific studies in her office to help us make decisions.

HTH!
#13 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't realized there were so many types of feeding tubes. I have a follow-up appointment next month so I will ask more about the feeding tube then. It's good to hear that some people were able to combine BM with a feeding tube. Thank you guys so much for all the info and support!

Sara

#14 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Where can I find the NICU forum? I'm looking all over...

#15 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
Where can I find the NICU forum? I'm looking all over...

It's a sub-forum in Life With A Babe. This will take you to the main page.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=371

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page