What can you take for a sinus infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to know what you can take while breastfeeding for a sinus infection that will not hurt your milk supply. Is there anything good to take?

Thanks
T
#2 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Start out trying to "flush" your sinuses clean. Get a Netti Pot. Just use some good sea salt in warm water and flush it through. A nasal aspirator works well too if you can't bring yourself to snort up water. Just tilt your head to the side and squirt the water in.
#3 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 06:38 PM

The netti pot helps and also if you are interested look into homeopathics. There are several remedies you can take for sinuses and some combo remedies. Hot showers, humidifier, plenty of fluids, broth etc. If you have any meds in mind somebody can look them up in Hale's for you. Some over the counter can affect milk supply but everyone is different and it depends what approach you want to take.
#4 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Tylenol (or any acetominophen) should be okay, and I like the Vicks VapoRub in the tub.

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
#5 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Hopefully you can get this cleared up without antibiotics!! But, if you do wind up needing to get some, most of them are safe in breastfeeding moms. Generally, if an infant can be given the same antibiotic for an infection. Mom can take it too without a problem.

I second the neti pot, if you can't find one, you can get some saline nasal spray and use it as much as possible... that will help loosen everything up. Sometimes decongestants can dry you out too much and your sinuses won't drain. Lots and lots of warm fluids will help too, as will running a humidifier by your bed at night. I hope you are feeling better soon!
#6 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't take anything meant to dry it up. Anything that dries up mucus dries up milk production!
#7 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amris View Post
Whatever you do, don't take anything meant to dry it up. Anything that dries up mucus dries up milk production!
And, breastfeeding or not, dried mucus leads to very clogged sinuses. Clogged sinuses lead to cysts... cysts led me to surgery... twice I wish I knew then what a little saline could do!!
#8 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 AM

ACV!!! (apple cider vinegar) I love Earth Clinic. Seriously..it works wonders on just about everything! I used it to rid off strep throat and it worked! And for my sinus infection that was horrible! I don't have sinuses..but it got really dry here and TONS of people started to develop sinus problems..it got SO bad! I couldn't not even function! I tried this..and it really worked! Took a few attempts..but I was desperate to try anything Plus it's natural and good for ya!

Here is my review for the sore throat on Earth Clinic:
6/1/2006: Leslie from Seattle writes, "I tried this a few weeks back when I felt a horrible sore throat coming. I knew it would soon turn into strep as I have had it before plenty of times and when I get it, I get it bad! So I was worried since my baby was only a few weeks old at the time and I did not want to take any medications since I breastfeed exclusively and did not want to have to stop and give formula because of antibiotics. I have never given any of my children formula and never plan to, so I wanted to find a natural cure to avoid having to do that. I tried the ACV method, gargling a few teaspoons w/ water a few times a day and it worked! It taste horrible, but who cares when it's natural and so much better for you (and in this case, my baby too!) I told everyone I know and my husband a few weeks ago did the same thing and warded off a sore throat this way too. I'm hooked and so glad I tried it!"

good luck mama! (scroll down the link I gave you till you see the ACV "cure")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page