What do you give 6 1/2 mo. old to drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-19-2003, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 1/2 month old is liking to drink out of a sippy cup, he drinks water, because he doesn't like juice at this point, which I don't mind because of the sugar, but I am wondering what is a good alternative. I pump to give him cereal with breast milk because he doesn't like formula, which I am glad about, but what do I give him since cow's milk can't be given till 12 months?! Any ideas? I don't know if I should start pumping to give him breastmilk in a sippy cup. What have you done?!!

Thanks for your ideas!
Chelsi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-19-2003, 11:15 AM

My son was exclusively breastfeed till 6 months, then I started adding in sippy cups of water and some solids. At about 9 months I introduced soy into his diet, which included giving him soymilk in a sippy cup a few times a week. At 2+ years now he drinks watered down juice maybe 3 times a week, soymilk 3 times a week, but primarily for his liquid intake he drinks water and nurses. He eats lots of other food all day long too.

From what I can remember, breastmilk (or formula) is all a baby really needs for the first year, assuming enough wet diapers, adequate weight gain, and reaching milestone achievements. Any solids or other forms of liquid are more for exploration then nutrition.
#3 of 15 Old 05-19-2003, 11:20 AM

juice is an occasional "treat" . i don't see much nutritionally in it. water most of the time.
i have started rooibos tea (unsweetened) for a bit of variety. i am incorporating rooibos into the family diet (it has minerals, iron, no cafiene, anti-oxidants...etc,)
#4 of 15 Old 05-19-2003, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

OK so just giving him water is enough, besides breastfeeding, even past a year? Maybe he will like juice, but breastfeeding and solids are his enjoyment and nutrition!! Which is fine with me!!

Thanks
Chelsi
#5 of 15 Old 05-19-2003, 11:48 PM

Water or breastmilk is all a baby or toddler really needs as a beverage. That being said, unless your little on is getting a lot of solids, he only needs a couple of tablespoons of water and shouldn't get more than 4 ounces (I think) of extra water per day. I rarely give DD juice and she's almost 11 months old. I only use it to occassionally flavor water for her or to thin her cereal. I give her water in a sippy cup or let her drink water from my cup. She seems to like it.
#6 of 15 Old 05-20-2003, 12:51 AM

Do you have a juicer? Fresh diluted carrot juice would be excellent.
#7 of 15 Old 05-20-2003, 12:52 AM

No, you don't need to give breastmilk in a sip cup. Just water will do, for fun. breastmilk is food and drink. Juice became popular for artificially fed (formula) babies b/c they can get so constipated. Breastfed babiss sure don't need juice. Major sugar shock!

Occasionally a mom will be sensitive to table foods her nursling eats right before nursing. If you get irritated, you may want to offer a him little water, for your benefit, after a solid meal. Or just wait a while til his saliva rinses the food particles away. But this is rare.
#8 of 15 Old 05-20-2003, 02:56 PM

I guess the point I was trying to make is that freshly extracted juice is very beneficial, but bottled juice definately is NOT. If mommies are going to give juice, it should be fresh, then you get all the great nutrients going straight to you, if it is not fresh, your just getting sugar water basically.
#9 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 12:13 AM

DS is now 14 months..but at 6 1/2 months the only alternative to breastmilk in a sippy cup was water..occassionally.. but rate was diluted juice..
just my .02 on milk after 1 yrs of age..
both my DH and I agree that cow's milk is for cows and and human milk for human babies!
#10 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

My son drinks water out of a sippy cup when he eats. He eats 2 "meals" of solids, so he might get 4 ozs. of water a day. He then nurses the rest of the day, morning, naptime, and evening.

Thanks for you advice and opinions
Chelsi
#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2003, 05:25 PM

Offering your 6.5 month old water is not a bad idea. They get used to the flavorlessness of water and can experience a different tempature. My ds loves water and I give him about 1-2 ounces a day in a cup. He loves to practice using a cup. My ds is almost 8 months old and I have started to give him juice. Juice is good in moderation. It must be dilluted down with water because of the sugar and acid. Too much fruit juice can cause rash from the acid and also rotten teeth from the sugar. There are a lot of nutrients in juices. Different fruits and vegatables have different nutritional properties, not just vitamin C. Beginning at about 8 months you can start introducing nut and seed milks which are highly nutritious.

I have obtained this information from reading Super Baby Food which I have found to be an incredible resource for nuitrition and highly reccomend it.
#12 of 15 Old 05-25-2003, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why do they need anything other than breastmilk? My DD is 6.5 months and only drinks milk, no solids at all yet. She seems perfectly fine! She does play with a sippy cup with water but doesn't really get much out. She's happy just being a booby girl!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#13 of 15 Old 05-26-2003, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Heavenly- I would have liked to just nurse my son, but he was ready for solids, interested in food, watching us eat. I wasn't sure if I should start, but he loves solids...so I guess I made the right decision. I wanted to wait till 6 months, but he was ready at 5 1/2 months, so... I am so happy for you that you can just nurse your little one, that's great!!

Chelsi
#14 of 15 Old 06-09-2003, 09:40 PM

My dd is 7 months and i give her water, diluted juice, or breastmilk in her cup. I also use flavored yougert made with wholemilk to flavor her breast milk...her ped said that was good to do...also said she could have 6-8 oz water if she takes lots of solids and bm...this is an "older" pediatrician though and he tends to do things "his way" and feels that AAP statements are frequently political not research based....I do what I feel comfortable with...and take his input as advice only.
#15 of 15 Old 06-09-2003, 10:27 PM

We only give water once they start solids, that is what your body is asking for if you are thirsty.

As long as they are exclusively breastfeeding that is great, but if they are getting solids I have always heard that they should have some water too (to help with kidney function).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page