2 weeks and little milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My beautiful boy is 2 weeks old and nursing well. He used to nurse every 3.5 hours or so and now he's nursing every 2 to 2.5 hours. I'm trying to pump in between nursing sessions but practically nothing comes out!

He hates latching on to my right breast and even though I offer it to him he refuses. That breast is still producing colostrum. He loves the left breast and seems to be satisfied with his feeding but when I pump I barely get 1/2 oz out of that breast.

What can I do? I'm pumping to build up supply and store EBM for when I return to work and to also allow his Dad to feed him but things aren't going well right now. I'm happy that at least he seems to be getting what he needs from nursing but I am frustrated by the pumping.

My SO thinks maybe it's because I'm not eating very much. Typical day's food:

Breakfast: 2 slices WW toast with pb and jam, tea
Lunch: same as breakfast
Dinner: spaghetti with meat sauce
Snacks: banana here and there or yogurt

I'm trying to drink a lot of water but I don't always succeed. Honestly I'm usually so tired from taking care of baby that I just don't want to eat, I don't have the energy for it.

So any advice?
#2 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM

I'd offer the left breast first. Only switch to the right side if he gets frusterated. When are you returning to work? This may be a little early to start pumping. I don't think at two weeks you could have a really established milk supply. (I think I may have started pumping at 4-6 weeks). Keep working at it! It'll come.
#3 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
10 days is a classic growth spurt (plus 3wk, 6wk, 3mo, 6mos). maybe it's just that?
#4 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 07:33 PM

It is not uncommon at all to not be able to pump much milk with a pump. And it has lead more than one mom to think her supply was low when in reality a pump just isnt a good substature for the baby sucking.

Have you tried holding him different when you offer the right breast? maybe a football hold or lying down so that the way he latches is different. Some babies have sore necks after delevery and have pain on one side that makes them reluctent to lay certain ways. If you could find a chiropracter who could do a adjustment on him. I have heard really good things about that.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM

You probably won't start getting alot of EBM until you are away from baby and pumping. Don't get frustrated. I never got much while I was home with DS and pumping. When I went back to work I was able to pump about 15 to 20 oz a shift. I ended up with quite a frozen stash. I even started donating to the milk bank because I had so much extra.

Sounds like a totally normal feeding pattern to me. My current nursling prefers my left breast to my right and often eats on only one side per feeding. I offer my right breast first and get her to nurse as much as possible then switch if she fusses.

If I were you I would eat a little more though. The average nursing mom needs 1800-2200 calories per day. A good rule of thumb is you should be consuming 300-500 MORE calories a day than what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight.

HTH

Molly
#6 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesnap View Post
when I pump I barely get 1/2 oz out of that breast.

My SO thinks maybe it's because I'm not eating very much. Typical day's food:

I'm trying to drink a lot of water but I don't always succeed.

So any advice?

Well, pump more OR offer more nursing times to baby for starters.
Also, 1/2 oz is not so strange for early postpartum. Pumping = what you pump not what you have or make

Why do you think you are low? Is baby loosing weight or not gaining? No wet or dirty dipes everyday?

ALso, food INTAKE does not = more milk. Calorie and food intake affects QUALITY not QUANTITY. Tell him that ok

Water to thirst- you don't need to overload on fluids to make fluids.
#7 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama View Post
Well, pump more OR offer more nursing times to baby for starters.
Also, 1/2 oz is not so strange for early postpartum. Pumping = what you pump not what you have or make

Why do you think you are low? Is baby loosing weight or not gaining? No wet or dirty dipes everyday?

ALso, food INTAKE does not = more milk. Calorie and food intake affects QUALITY not QUANTITY. Tell him that ok

Water to thirst- you don't need to overload on fluids to make fluids.
I agree with all this...that's a decent amount to pump in early days. I know the books say babies nurse every 2-3 hours but in the first month, it was more like every hour many days. Try to settle in and maybe not worry about pumping for a couple more weeks if you can wait. Your supply is fine IMO.
#8 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for the support. Nic definitely appears to be getting enough during nursing, he's back at his birth weight of 5 lbs at 2w3d. I haven't really focused on pumping the past few days since Nic is starting to nurse more frequently. We go back for another weight check tomorrow and if Nic is still growing, I'll just put this worry behind me.

I'm not planning on going back to work for at least 2 more months so I'm not in a huge rush to start collecting milk. I just got worried since the books I've read all seem to suggest I nurse/pump regularly and that I should be able to collect a decent amount of milk when pumping.

Thanks again for reassuring me that things are ok, I appreciate it!
#9 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 PM

Have you tried letting him nurse on the left, while you pump from the one he doesn't prefer?

After all, if you let down for him okay, it will be easier to get it to let down if he's right there, eh?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page