How long between feeding in 8mo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 8mo and he will go long stretches without nurding. He eats a little solids each day and sometimes he will nurse a lot and other days he will only nurse once or twice during the day. Is this normal? DD was the same, but she nursed all night long! DS will nurse about every 3 hours or so at night.
#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 AM

My 8mo goes about 3-4 hours between feedings during the day - but we've been on a feeding routine since I went back to work FT and I couldn't do cue feeding all the time anymore. He eats and I pump (when we're apart) around 9a, 12:30p, and 4p; when we're together I still nurse him at about those same intervals. Then he eats at least once more before he's down for the night and 1-3 times during the night. I have no idea how this compares to others - but I do have another question to add to the 8-mo list:

If you give your 8mo bottles (ebm or other) how many ounces will they eat in one feeding? Em's per-feeding intake seems to have jumped in the last month so much so that I am worried that I can't keep up with him by pumping. Just wondering...
#3 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Lisa.....2 times a day is not enough for an 8 month old IMO. My 10 month old takes very little solids, he only feeds himself now and just plays with most of it. He still eats every 2 hours, even when I am not home. I would personally cut down on his solids and let him nurse more. Solids are just for fun the first year. I don't see DS eating a lot of solids even in the next 2 months. Some mom's on here say their DC is EBF until past 18 months. JMO.....

Tryingmommas: My DS took only 3 oz, 4 at most when he was 8 months old out of a bottle when I was at work, but I have been told lately he is taking 5 sometimes 6 but that's rare and he is now 10 months old. I have been unable to keep up with him with a pump since about 5 months and we have to suppliment however I have started taking domperidone and have seen quite an increase in supply. My suggestion would be to pump more and get more of a stash going because it seems like overnight they start taking more.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU !!!
#4 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM

At that age babies often need to be reminded and encouraged to nurse. Sounds like not enough nursing to me. I would offer every couple of hours at least.

-Angela
#5 of 6 Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I was trying to go with whatever DS wanted, but b/c of solids I think it's interering with his nursing. I had the same problem with DD and I don't want to repeat!
#6 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 AM

Here's a somewhat related question... Do you ever feel like you don't have much milk at the end of the day, or even that your dd or ds would like more than you have? The past couple of days I have very quickly "emptied" at bedtime nursing.

I have actually been trying to get my 9.5 month DD to nurse more; she's just SO BUSY all the time, I have to remind her to nurse (although she only actually nurses about half the time I offer her my boob - she's not a real nursing addict - but she does nurse about 6-7 times a day). I neither want to be a food or boob pusher, nor do I want my DD to be getting too little to eat and nurse. My DD does have 3 meals a day, but dinner is the only one that's even very substantial - the other meals are more just snacks she has when I eat meals.

I know I probably just ought to quit thinking about it and assume that my DD would let me know if she wasn't getting enough, but babies are just so little... of course you worry whether you're doing everything right!

Sarah, mom to Eleanor 5-6-06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page