weaning advice needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ds is 11 months old and i am returning to work in 2 weeks. i am have always bf, but had to supplemnt with formula using an SNS since birth due to chronic low supply issues etc (but thats another story), anyhow i am at the stage where i would like, well need to wean, esp as my already dismal supply will disapear once stop nursing during the day and all he will be getting is formula anyhow just through the sns.
But he wont take milk or formula with a bottle or sippy cup he just shakes his head no and then gets mad, and if i try to much he then stops taking water from his sippy cup too, as keeps thinking i am trying to give him milk. hes a stubborn little thing LOL.
so i need advice as i am worried he wont be getting enough milk if i stop altogther as i have been advised to. public health nurse says he will eventually take milk from cup, but it just seems cruel to go cold turkey like that. so what i need is easy, gentle on him and me tecniques to get him to take milk from anything other than me.
I know you may say hes not ready, but i am now, i work such weird hours at the hospital that some weeks i wont be able to put him to bed, so not like i can even keep nursing at bed time. i need to get him to take milk from my husband when i am not there, any ideas.
thank you.
#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Never tried this but since he's used to the sns, could you transition him too finger feeding with the sns, then after that maybe a straw bottle? Since he'd be used to sucking and not neccessarily tipping his head back like he would have to for a cup.
#3 of 6 Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Even if he's not getting milk, the act of nurturing him at the breast will be a benefit for both of you. It can be a great way to reconnect. And kids do learn that they can be comforted by others in mom's absence even when they nurse when they are with mom.

Has your husband tried giving him a cup or a bottle? Sometimes they will take it from someone besides mom.
#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 AM

At 11 months a baby is simply not ready to wean. I agree with the pp that even if not getting much milk at the breast, it is worthwhile to continue nursing.

-Angela
#5 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

hi scubamom,
i think if you r ready to wean then its ok. i second the sippy cup or cups with straw like. my friend just weaned her 10 months and the only thing she will take is straw like cups. lol
goodluck
#6 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama ay View Post
hi scubamom,
i think if you r ready to wean then its ok. i second the sippy cup or cups with straw like. my friend just weaned her 10 months and the only thing she will take is straw like cups. lol
goodluck
At MDC we recognize the need of infants and young children to nurse. We do not promote weaning before a year at all and completely support the decisions of mothers and children to continue nursing well into childhood.

www.kellymom.com has lots of resources and information about nursing while working and the importance of it for at least the first two years. I hope that the OP and posters will look up the information and find some good advice there.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page