Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/)
-   -   2 Minute Nursing Sessions Grrr (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/63259-2-minute-nursing-sessions-grrr.html)

vein 05-29-2003 12:56 PM

Gavin has NEVER been the type that has tolerated nursing for more than 10 minutes at a time. Even when he was still just days old, the most I could get him to nurse was about 15 minutes.

This eventually caused a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance and that finally cleared up just before 4 months.

Now he'll be 5 months in a few days (on the 2nd) and it's amazing if I can get him to nurse for more than 2 minutes. I'll put him on, he'll suck for 2 minutes max, starts fussing/crying again, then stops if I put him on the other side for another max 2 minutes, or continues fussing and won't feed any more if I leave him on the side we started out on. When he starts fussing on the second side, he won't be calmed by anything except stopping. Until he's hungry again in 15min-30 min. : I'm lucky at night when we're trying to go to sleep if he'll nurse for 5 minutes. At least he doesn't continue the 30 minute feeds at night - he starts back on those in the morning when I've gone back to bed after my SO goes off to work.

He has no problems with his latch and has been given a bottle twice by his grandparents 2 months ago. He's well over 15 lb by now and is very very active, so I know he's getting enough, it's just so upsetting to me when I can't seem to get him to be happy nursing.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to drink more at one time so he isn't hungry every 15 minutes? It's a nightmare when we take the car for the day and have to pick up my SO at work - yesterday we spent 45 minutes in the car on the way home in crap traffic listening to him cry (despite me feeding him in the car before we started back hom) because he wanted to eat again.

MaggiesMom 05-29-2003 02:15 PM

and I'm sure others will have a better clue about what might be going on, but maybe your letdown is too forceful for him? Or maybe he is uncomfortable in the position you use?

In any case, I wish you luck. It must be very frustrating for you and I am glad you have stuck with it despite that.

vein 05-29-2003 02:37 PM

It doesn't seem to matter as to what position. For a while, he wouldn't nurse period when he was in my arms. It was laying down or nothing.

I thought for awhile I might have overactive letdown, but, no milk has ever sprayed out when he's unlatched and he doesn't seem to be bothered when I hear a letdown (never been one of those who has felt it) and he gulps it down.

There is no way I'm NOT sticking with breastfeeding. It's been a pain at many times, but I'm not going to give up. I also informed Gavin a short time ago that HE is not allowed to stop until at least a year (hopefully a LOT longer than that), no matter how much he fights.

lexbeach 05-30-2003 12:48 PM

Well, this is just a guess. I mean, I'm not any sort of an expert (although nursing twins, I sometimes feel like I should become one!). Anyway, if your ds is eating every 30 minutes for 2-5 minutes, his stomach is probably not very big. I had mononucleosis a few years ago, and was unable to eat much of anything for over a week. Just in that amount of time, my stomach shrunk sooo much. When I did feel able to eat again, I would get full after just a little bit. What I'm trying to say, is that your son could be stuck in a cycle of filling up quickly, then digesting the little amount he's gotten, and getting hungry again quickly. You may want to try stretching out his feedings. This, of course, would mean not feeding him when he asks to eat (which I know is very hard to do). But you could do it a little at a time. . . first make him wait 10 minutes, then 20, etc. In time maybe his stomach would grow and he'd be able to take in more milk at a time, and thus be satisfied for longer.

Just a thought!

Lex

DaryLLL 05-30-2003 03:21 PM

I'd say he is a nip and napper, if he sleeps between these mini-feeds, or a gourmet. First the appetizer and cocktail, then main course, followed by dessert. All babies are different. You might think about just adjusting your expectations until he grows and changes. See if he eats solids the same way!

With your oversupply issues, maybe the first feed is foremilk. Then he waits and has some hindmilk later, after some of the foremilk has digested?

I don't think there is anyway you can force feed him larger mats. You can lead a horse to water...Anless you go with a kind of by the clock scheduling, which could cause crying and create new problems.

Lots of babies have trouble with car trips, for one reason or another.

I Believe in Fairies 06-10-2003 05:27 AM

Annabelle did this. She was the queen of the nip and nap. I just adjusted. If I was driving, I'd just pull over and nurse her.

At almost three she still eats this way, but nurses me empty in seconds. She's a snacker, and that was how I had to eat when I was pregnant. I think it's just they way some babies are.

You could try nursing in a quiet room that is not too interesting. Annabelle would get distracted sometimes from the nursing by something she wanted to see or do like a newly mastered skill. I'd just go into out bedroom and close the doors and we'd nurse until she was done. I trusted her to know when she was done and she is perfectly healthy.