Does breastfeeding "ruin" your breasts? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pregnancy nor breastfeeding does not cause breasts to sag nor shrink.  I breast fed mine.  I am now over 50 years old and still do not have this problem.

#32 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 AM

Feet are meant to walk, cars are meant to be driven, breasts are for feeding your offspring. What else should they be saved for? Watching my third nursling un-latch & pass out milk drunk next to me with a smile on her sleeping face and milk dribbling down her chin, I think is the loveliest sight in the world. I get an ego boost from that far greater than from being ogled by men.
erinmattsmom88 and Sorceress like this.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#33 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 AM

Neither feet nor breasts are single purpose body parts. Feet also stand and breasts also play a large role in sexual arousal for both men and women. God/Mother Nature designed us that way so don't blame or shame women for being aware of that fact or wondering how things will change. There are just as many anecdotes on this thread about breasts changing as they are about them not. So let's just be honest when women ask and say that yes, some women report changes to their breasts. It doesn't have to be a negative connotation, but we should allow women access to that information. What are we afraid of? If we blindly say no, nothing changes, that tells me we don't trust women enough to choose breast feeding anyway, despite the potential for change. I for one would rather treat women with respect and have faith that they are wise enough to make that decision for themselves rather than hide the truth.
pickle18 likes this.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#34 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 AM

Absolutely. They change. Mostly aging changes them but motherhood perhaps accelerates this a little bit. I've never denied it to my pregnant friends. I regularly lament losing a cup size after weaning compared to before kids! Had to give away my pretty bra collection. :-)

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#35 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Admittedly didnt read every post above but I will say for my own experience I nursed my dd for 2.5 years and they looked huge while nursing and after she weaned they went back to being 32dd that I had always had. I still got asked on the daily if they were fake (in the defense of the population I was a bartender so this may have been why there was so much focus on them) I met my husband after I had already had my daughter and he thinks my boobs are the one of my assets. I do not think nursing "ruins/deflates" your breasts. I think time and weight gain during pregnancy probably do more harm than nursing where they can gradually reduce in size. I love my boobs no they aren't where they were when I was 18 but I think even if I hadnt nursed or gotten pregnant 10 years later I would still probably notice a difference anyway. time marches on and all that :)

#36 of 47 Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM

tons of change over here, but let's recap...

*started off small, round, perky C

*pregnancy brought them to big, full DD

*milk came in and that bumped them up to giant rock hard G cups

*after 2.5 years of nursing, they are mostly deflated, definitely lower than before, and smaller (maybe B) - nipples/areolas changed, too - stretch marks (obviously! :))

but all in all, it's been a pretty cool journey, my husband doesn't mind, and I'm slowly getting used to it - nothing beats nursing this lil kid :throb

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#37 of 47 Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Change yes, ruin no. And I agree that most of the changes are because of pregnancy, though some are from breastfeeding IME anyway. And it took my breasts about 6 months after weaning my DD1 to get back to their new normal, will be interesting to see what the new normal is after I am done BFing my twins. For me, my breast got a bit softer, but bigger and fuller too. And I too am much more comfortable showing off some cleavage after pregnancy/BFing, I was very modest before. And nothing wrong with either way of being, but my attitudes about breasts/nudity/etc. have changed a lot too.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#38 of 47 Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had always heard from the medical community that breastfeeding alone does not "ruin" your breasts--genetic predisposition to saggy breasts is supposedly the real culprit.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#39 of 47 Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post

I had always heard from the medical community that breastfeeding alone does not "ruin" your breasts--genetic predisposition to saggy breasts is supposedly the real culprit.

Yes, I've read this too. Totally depends on genes. And age too.

My breasts are actually larger now than they were before having kids. They are more dense and heavy than they were. They were so huge when nursing. I have a hilarious picture of myself holding DS. We were sitting down and my boobs were almost to my neck! Anyway, in my experience, my breasts aren't ruined, just different, larger than before. A lot of my friends' breasts actually shrunk significantly after weaning. I wish that happened to me!

Backroads likes this.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#40 of 47 Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Mine shrunk.  I hope I don't lose half a cup size per weaning kid, or if I have another baby they will end up A cups!

#41 of 47 Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post

Pregnancy nor breastfeeding does not cause breasts to sag nor shrink.  I breast fed mine.  I am now over 50 years old and still do not have this problem.

Is it really honest to state as fact something based solely on your experience? Especially when the overwhelming majority experience counters it.

I just hate that I see this (and here, in bold!) on breastfeeding advocacy sites like a fact. It seems like a lie to make BFing seem better.
Sphinxy likes this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#42 of 47 Old 12-15-2013, 05:09 PM

Only one of my breasts "works", so right now nursing my 24 mo old I have one giant floppy boob, and one small perkier boob. It is really a weird sight. I have hopes that the will even out some when we are thru nursing....
#43 of 47 Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

Is it really honest to state as fact something based solely on your experience? Especially when the overwhelming majority experience counters it.

I just hate that I see this (and here, in bold!) on breastfeeding advocacy sites like a fact. It seems like a lie to make BFing seem better.

The thread asked for personal experience... Was she supposed to lie? I also said that nursing had ZERO effect on my boobs I am not lying it just is what it is. I also for the record also have gained a lot with both my pregnancies and have no stretch marks! Its genes my mom was the same way. It doesnt mean you are better or worse it simply means we are talking from our experience and highlighting the differences in experiences. Sorry if I read your response wrong but it seems pretty embittered

#44 of 47 Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I guess I wasn't clear. I am not embittered at all! My breasts are still all full and luscious only 4 mo into the deed smile.gif.

Of course everyone's personal experience isvalid. That particular post was stating it as a general fact that pregnancy or BFing just doesn't affect breasts. That's the thing I have an issue with. Generalizing personal experience into facts applicable to all. Maybe she didn't mean it that way, but I have seen that stated as fact elsewhere too and it does bug me when people sugarcoat things.

My baby had no issues latching, but I don't say "babies are all born knowing how to latch. Babies do not have trouble with latch"
Sphinxy and Backroads like this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#45 of 47 Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I guess I wasn't clear. I am not embittered at all! My breasts are still all full and luscious only 4 mo into the deed smile.gif.

Of course everyone's personal experience isvalid. That particular post was stating it as a general fact that pregnancy or BFing just doesn't affect breasts. That's the thing I have an issue with. Generalizing personal experience into facts applicable to all. Maybe she didn't mean it that way, but I have seen that stated as fact elsewhere too and it does bug me when people sugarcoat things.

My baby had no issues latching, but I don't say "babies are all born knowing how to latch. Babies do not have trouble with latch"

Ok but just like your post came off as embittered until you explained her post could just a misinterpretation not trying to right fight for someone I don't even know but her response sounded a lot like mine just slightly semantically different

#46 of 47 Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm 47. I BF two kids well into toddlerhood. My breasts look and feel great.
Backroads likes this.
#47 of 47 Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have always heard that it is the changes of pregnancy that can change your boobs, not breastfeeding. So even if you never breastfeed, your boobs will change with pregnancy.
lrj85 likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page