Normal breast sensations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 5 weeks old and I've been dealing with thrush for 3 weeks. It seems like things were just starting to get good when I was hit with the pain.

I think it is clearing up now, with treatment, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the sensations I continue to feel are normal, or signs that the thrush still has a hold. They certainly aren't excrutiatingly painful, as the were a week ago, but not everything going on in there is pleasant, either.

I somehow had this idea that I wouldn't be conciously aware of my breasts - except for let down - in between feedings, just like I wasn't conciously aware of them before I got pregnant. So I guess my question for experienced breastfeeders is, "What are the normal breast sensations I might expect as a breastfeeding mom?" My nipples are still very sensitive, esp. the right which is cracked, but I'm wondering more about feelings inside the breast, if that makes sense.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM

You can get thrush inside the milk ducts. I don't remember feeling much pain or discomfort inside the breast other than the occasional feeling of being too full. You will be a little sensitive at 5 weeks, most likely, but with thrush you'll feel itchy, stingy, and your nipples will be bright pink. If you feel pain just at latch on and it goes away it's probably normal, but if it persists after feeding it could be thrush. I've had lots of experience with nipple thrush but not inside the breasts. What I would do if it was ductal thrush is get an oral diflucan prescription and treat baby with gentian violet to make sure it's knocked out. Call your OB or midwife on Monday and see what they think.
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasuz View Post
You can get thrush inside the milk ducts. I don't remember feeling much pain or discomfort inside the breast other than the occasional feeling of being too full. You will be a little sensitive at 5 weeks, most likely, but with thrush you'll feel itchy, stingy, and your nipples will be bright pink. If you feel pain just at latch on and it goes away it's probably normal, but if it persists after feeding it could be thrush. I've had lots of experience with nipple thrush but not inside the breasts. What I would do if it was ductal thrush is get an oral diflucan prescription and treat baby with gentian violet to make sure it's knocked out. Call your OB or midwife on Monday and see what they think.
Thanx, Suz. I know I have thrush and am on diflucan and APNO already. What I wasn't sure about is what is normal. I went straight from newborn soreness to the thrush...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM

once the cracks had healed i really can say there is very little pain or sensation for that matter - especially when im not feeding her (sometimes for a second a little pain when she first latches on). like you said, every once in awhile they feel full, but my dd is a real piglet and rarely lets that happen!! i can say that i expected them to feel different and they really dont. the major difference for me is mental - going from being something sexual to something that provides nourishment! good luck getting better!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page