Mothering Forum banner

Tandem nursing when one child is sick--good or bad idea?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bigislandmama 
#1 ·
DS (2 yo) seems to have a stomach virus. Should I stop nursing him to prevent him from passing something to DD (3 months old)? He sometimes goes for a day without nursing or nursing only one or two times. But when he's feeling horrible, he nurses for comfort. It's been really hard the last few days keeping him off. And of course the ped thinks I shouldn't give him any "milk products" like breastmilk (and then suggested we give him grits, like that's easier on the stomach than natural breastmilk!). I don't think the breastmilk in his system is a problem, but I'm just concerned about him passing on the virus to my baby girl. What would all you nursing experts out there recommend?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Keep nursing them both! Breastmilk is the BEST things for a child with a stomach virus- it gives them nutrition and hydration in one perfect food, and all the good stuff in breastmilk helps protect the GI tract. Your DS was probably already contagious and your DD has probably already been exposed, so by nursing both of them all three of your immune systems can fight the bug! FWIW, I'm tandeming and my older DD1 had a tummy bug, but at the time my 6-week old DD2 never got it. One thing I love about tandeming is that when any of us get sick the other two seem to either not get it, or get an extrememly mild version of it.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
Keep nursing them both! Breastmilk is the BEST things for a child with a stomach virus- it gives them nutrition and hydration in one perfect food, and all the good stuff in breastmilk helps protect the GI tract. Your DS was probably already contagious and your DD has probably already been exposed, so by nursing both of them all three of your immune systems can fight the bug! FWIW, I'm tandeming and my older DD1 had a tummy bug, but at the time my 6-week old DD2 never got it. One thing I love about tandeming is that when any of us get sick the other two seem to either not get it, or get an extrememly mild version of it.
Wow, that's great to know
Do you think I should give them each their own side until this bug passes? That's what I've been doing since yesterday, but I would like to be able to put both kids on both sides if it is "safe". What's been your experience? Is the healthy kid any less likely to catch it if they use their own sides? Should I just wipe the breasts after the sick child nurses?

#6 ·
My ds was 20 m.o. when he got stomach flu. My dd was 3m.o. at the time. I just made sure that she wouldn't nurse on the same breast without washing it first.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chug-a-Pug View Post
Wow, that's great to know
Do you think I should give them each their own side until this bug passes? That's what I've been doing since yesterday, but I would like to be able to put both kids on both sides if it is "safe". What's been your experience? Is the healthy kid any less likely to catch it if they use their own sides? Should I just wipe the breasts after the sick child nurses?

I just went throught this same thing about two weeks ago.
I gave them each their own breast and then would shower in the afternoon and switch sides for them. DD never got whatever it was that DS had so I think it worked well. Nursing is the best thing you can do for the child - imo.

I hope that your little one feels better soon.

Wanted to add: Is your little one throwing up or just not feeling well?

#8 ·
Quote:

Can the children switch sides? I mean besides the physical ability to change sides. But are there any disadvantages for switching sides that the children are on?

I'm not a breast expert, but I don't know that switching/keeping sides separate gives any extra protection. I do know that our breasts make their own antimicrobial substances to clean themselves, so unless fighting thrush or something of that sort I don't know that cleansing them does anything helpful. It does seem logical though not to nurse your DS and then directly offer that breast to the baby without any kind of time lapse...

At this point I'd guess the bug is already in your system so nursing your children as often as possible on either breast is the best possible nutrition and protection for them!

#11 ·
last year when my DD was only 4 weeks old we all got Rotavirus.I was tandem nursing my then 16 month old and DH was at sea so it was just me and the kids. There was no way I could prevent DD from being touched by her brothers.We were all pretty gross for awhile but DD never got even a hint of the virus.I didn't even bother with cleaning my nipples or keeping exclusive sides since if we all were sick then it was too late to keep DD from getting sick too.Breast milk is the one best thing when they are throwing up.You know at least that they are getting something.I actually wished that I could have nursed my 5 year old too so that he could better faster.

#12 ·
After five days of being sick, DS is on the mend! Thank you all so much for your advice, support, and prayers
This experience really made us thankful for the blessing of having two normally healthy kids! It's so nice to have DS back to normal, giggling, talking, playing!

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!

#13 ·
Quote:

After five days of being sick, DS is on the mend! Thank you all so much for your advice, support, and prayers
This experience really made us thankful for the blessing of having two normally healthy kids! It's so nice to have DS back to normal, giggling, talking, playing!

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!
So glad to hear your little one is feeling better!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.