Marijuana while breastfeeding? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do/did you smoke marijuana while breastfeeding?
Yes, but I pumped and dumped. 5 0.94%
Yes, but my child was no longer an infant (over a year). 35 6.57%
Yes, I don't see a problem with it at any age. 141 26.45%
No, never. 352 66.04%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 151 Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. As nice as it sounds right now, smoking makes me very lazy and lethargic during the day and sleep heavily at night, so I'm abstaining. Previous to getting pregnant with DD I used it almost every night as a sleep aid and anxiety/depression relief. Besides, I've found that the high my little one gives me is enough to replace any other a million times over.
#62 of 151 Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Well, since there seems to be a mj theme lately, I'll weigh in.

It's an herb, that grows from the ground. It's less damaging than cigarettes. I smoked until a few days before I found out I was pgs. Of course, I also ate like 4 cans of tuna, smoked about 500 cigarettes, and drank like a fish that whole week before peeing on the stick. Shit happens. I quit everything while pgs, except the occasional wine or beer. I started up toking again occasionally after he was 3 or 4 mos old. I am a nicer more balanced person for it. Just ask any of my friends, or especially DH. Usually at night after wrestling with the wee one into bed for 3 hours. A girl's gotta relax!

Like I said in the other thread, the reasons it is illegal are trivial and driven by the greed of big oil, big cotton, the petrochemical and paper industries. The gov't tells us to vax our children, and not all of us do that, either, do we? So, it's hypocritical to pick and choose which laws we choose to violate. We all speed sometimes.

Okay, rant over.
#63 of 151 Old 09-07-2007, 07:11 PM

belladonna is natural, so's nightshade. i'm certainly not taking either.

i'm extremely against...i won't even drink caffeine while pregnant or nursing, either. i owe my children good quality building blocks to make their bodies with...

i know one mother that co-slept after smoking, and she killed her kid. i know several that are pretty sorry parents, as well...more concerned with toking than taking care of their babies.

i certainly wouldn't want my children to end up smoking ANYTHING, and i'm not exposing them to such, either. why take a chance?
#64 of 151 Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 PM

belladonna is the so called deadly nightshade actually. (btw, tomatos, potatos and eggplants are also nightshades.) the alkaloids of this plant are sometimes used to treat intestinal disorders, migranes, muscle spasms, and athsma, to name just a few.

im not saying we should all go munch the purple berries. i think people should know what theyre getting into before using any plant medicine or drug.

i felt safe using ganja during pregnancy and now while breastfeeding because i know where its coming from, and how i react to it, and what the proper dosage for the gentle results i want is.

it helped during pregnancy when i had morning sickness and couldnt eat, and it helped me yesterday when i was on the edge of a nervous breakdown and needed to see things from a different point of view. (i smoked after i nursed him to sleep for the night)

ive used it four times since becoming pregnant and have been thankful for it every time.

caffiene however, i will not touch, (except small bits in chocolate once in a while) because i know that it has a very strong effect on me.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#65 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 04:02 AM

Just because it's natural doesn't make it okay. I don't like that argument.

That said, I don't know enough about MJ to say whether it is or is not okay. I won't do it while BF, but then, I won't do it at all anymore, just as I won't become "intoxicated" with alcohol. Can you smoke MJ without becoming "intoxicated," for lack of a better term? I don't know. Every time I smoked it, I got high. So for me, it's a big no.
#66 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 AM

I used MJ on a daily basis for a number of years to help manage Anxiety and Depression that were triggered by PTSD.

I was able to avoid taking the Paxil and Xanax that the doctors wanted me to take, both of those drugs are VERY addictive and have really frightening side effects. They both give you horrible physical withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them suddenly...I think that you can even die while detoxing from the Xanax.
Xanax made me feel VERY high. I was not myself. Xanax is a VERY popular street drug, and many people are VERY addicted to it.

MJ is not physically addictive, and there aren't any sort of withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it. I was personally able to take the right amount so as not to feel high, just balanced. It was a life saver for me. It never impaired me in a way that would have prevented me from making good parenting decisions, and it helped me have patience. I wouldn't want to be responsible for children if I had to take Xanax every day because I didn't feel sober.

There are many many breast feeding and pregnant women who are taking hard core pharmaceuticals that were prescribed to them. That doesn't get questioned and judged, though, because the Pharma industry tells us that it is okay!

Also, for me the MJ was like a crutch that helped me learn to be calmer, and relax naturally. The Xanax just made me feel really intoxicated so that I just didn't care what was happening. MJ still allowed me to experience and feel things because it wasn't as powerful.

There is just such a huge stigma with MJ that has been created by our government...it is really sad. There are many people who would benefit from the use but are too scared to do it because it is illegal. How often do we hear about senior citizens and other people who cannot afford their meds? Well this is something that you can grow yourself, very inexpensively and it will help many ailments and replace the need for many expensive Pharma DRUGS.

No wonder it is illegal.

It is too bad that we live in a society where sick people have to hide in a closet to take their medication.
Or face being ridiculed/having their children taken from them/losing their job etc...
#67 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
Just because it's natural doesn't make it okay. I don't like that argument.
And just because it's illegal doesn't make it not okay. People tend to just blindly follow *that* argument.
#68 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 AM

I think its fine. Personal choice.
But say you were pregnant in iowa. And you had late prenatal care, or hx of drug abuse or admitted to using in pregnancy or early before you were pregnant. We would be required to send meconium to a lab to check for drugs. And urine too. I have no idea what happens when you test positive. I think DHS comes to visit.
#69 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNB View Post
here we go again... lol

Tune in 20 pages later for acrimony and drama, right here on commercial-free MDC. It's a soap opera for people who only ever use Dr. Brommers.
#70 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 12:54 PM

i have smoked pot on and off since i was 17...so thats 11 years now. i stopped when i was pregnant because i didn't need it anymore, my head was fine without it...but i didn't quit because i thought it was bad, it just wasn't what i needed. i smoked it maybe 3 or 4 times in the second trimester for horrible headaches.
i didn't come back to wanting it until ds was 6 months old...so i didn't smoke and bf in the early days, but again, i would have had i wanted to...most of my friends puff and did so while preg. and nursing. my mom did so with me.
i smoke now fairly frequently and i am still almost exclusively bfing my 8 month old since he is totally uninterested in solids.
i see no difference in any of his behavior, sleep or eating patterns from before i smoked and now when i do.
#71 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
And just because it's illegal doesn't make it not okay. People tend to just blindly follow *that* argument.
word.
#72 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
Those of you that say you have used MJ while pregnant.....did you receive prenatal care? Just curious, because my midwife took urine samples at every visit, and I'm sure that if I were using an illegal substance then I would have been reported.

I've smoked plenty of MJ in my life, but I would never smoke while preg. or BF. I wouldn't smoke it anymore anyway, but that's beside the point.

The fact of the matter is, whether you agree or not, possession and use of marijuana is illegal in the United States, and IMHO, partaking in illegal behavior as the parent of a child is completely irresponsible.........just think of the ramifications. Your children could see you be arrested, be taken from you and when returned your entire relationship with them would be scrutinized by CPS for the rest of your lives........it's not worth it.
you have to have a special kind of test to check for drugs...the urine analysis your midwife does is for your protein in your urine...
my midwives smoke weed so i don't think they would care
how on earth would you get arrested if you just toke a little in your backyard after your kids asleep? unless some nosy busybody of a neighbor called the cops on ya? i don't smoke out in public, or when i am driving..i just puff a tiny bit when the kids napping or in bed...

oh yeah, and my doc also smokes weed and suggested i do too if i had headaches or nausea when preg.
#73 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Voted "no, never" but I feel like it should come with a disclaimer. I don't feel it would be any more dangerous than having a beer or glass of wine while in a nursing relationship, which I have done. I just don't like pot, personally. Gives me a hangover. Beer doesn't. I'm backward.
#74 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Obviously its best to not smoke anything while pg/bf, but I'd much rather see someone use medicinal MJ than take Paxil, Xanax, Klonopin or other drugs for anxiety or other issues. When you exclude government propoganda "studies" research (especially research done outside of the US) shows that MJ itself is 100% non-toxic- it is impossible to overdose. Smoking of course creates toxins just from combustion, but there are other ways to use MJ medicinally.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#75 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriforeman View Post

i'm extremely against...i won't even drink caffeine while pregnant or nursing, either. i owe my children good quality building blocks to make their bodies with...

i know one mother that co-slept after smoking, and she killed her kid. i know several that are pretty sorry parents, as well...more concerned with toking than taking care of their babies.

i certainly wouldn't want my children to end up smoking ANYTHING, and i'm not exposing them to such, either. why take a chance?
that is sad.
however, i am not a bad parent, nor am i more concerned with "toking" than my kid, nor is any of my many friends who smoke. nor was my mom and dad or any of my parents friends who smoked.
i hope you can see that there can be exceptions to every "rule".
#76 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 04:37 PM

IMO, plastics, pesticides, and other man made chemicals are more dangerous. I agree with one of the pps.....just because its illegal doesn't mean that it is bad or dangerous (in moderation.)
#77 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCate View Post
No, I wouldn't. I am sure it's not the worst, but I wouldn't risk having the kids taken from me.
:
I don't think smoking occasionally is harmful to a nursling. But, it is illegal and therefore I wouldn't risk it.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#78 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM

No I haven't, but I don't have a problem with it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#79 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKnee View Post
:
I don't think smoking occasionally is harmful to a nursling. But, it is illegal and therefore I wouldn't risk it.

I agree.

I don't think I would enjoy it if I did smoke it. I would be completely paranoid about this
#80 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 05:40 PM

A. Marijuana is not illegal everywhere.
B. Its not up to the government to decide how I live.
C. How about MJ Brownies instead of smoking?
D. If my kid gets interested in trying pot I'll role model appropriate behavior for her.
E. Isn't weed an oxytocin?
F. Its definitely a medicine.
G. I didn't vote in the poll because I didn't like the choices. I didn't smoke or eat dope, but I would.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#81 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
There are many many breast feeding and pregnant women who are taking hard core pharmaceuticals that were prescribed to them. That doesn't get questioned and judged, though, because the Pharma industry tells us that it is okay!
I completely agree.

I do believe people can choose to use mj responsibly just like lots of people choose to use alcohol responsibly. Some can be reckless with it as well but I believe what we're talking about here is the responsible and moderate use of a natural drug. By all means it should be a free country but since this subject isn't under that banner I guess it brings up other unfortunate consequences to using (which is half the reason I don't - the other half I just don't really dig it).
#82 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
Can you smoke MJ without becoming "intoxicated," for lack of a better term? I don't know. Every time I smoked it, I got high. So for me, it's a big no.
I think it's an unfair argument. The "high" mj can give you is very different from being drunk & / or belligerant. I don't consider it, and I think many would agree, intoxicated any more than if I took a prescribed prozac or had a cup of valerian tea. Some people get sleepy, some get silly, some get hungry, for others, you just get nicer & normal & more relaxed.
#83 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 06:55 PM

To answer the question I think the PP was asking, though - yes, it's talked about a lot in medicinal circles, the threshold at which your symptoms are abated versus the point at which you're "high". I know in patients with hyperemesis gravidarum, one or two puffs is enough to make the nausea go away and the patient can then eat normally. One or two puffs doesn't make anyone "high". It's possible to take the lowest dose necessary for symptom relief without experiencing euphoria, giddiness, or the other taboo side effects.
#84 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 PM

I just tried to have the healthiest diet possible while pregnant and nursing. This included eliminating alchol and not smoking anything.

#85 of 151 Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
I think it's an unfair argument. The "high" mj can give you is very different from being drunk & / or belligerant. I don't consider it, and I think many would agree, intoxicated any more than if I took a prescribed prozac or had a cup of valerian tea. Some people get sleepy, some get silly, some get hungry, for others, you just get nicer & normal & more relaxed.
Maybe I am in the minority, then.

I also get : after more than 1 glass of wine.

Quote:
Oh, for sure, I agree with you there.
#86 of 151 Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 PM

I'd like to point out to all the mommas who have tried MJ and not liked the effect it had on them that there are thousands of different strains of MJ, each one creates a different effect. Not only that but HOW it is grown greatly effect the high you get. Did you know that there is only a 10 day window in which to properly harvest MJ, one day off can ruin a whole crop, but is still potent enough to be sold. If you take damaged or expired meds they don't work properly, and neither does MJ. So before anyone can truely judje it I prompt them to seek out a strain that meets their needs, because some strains help with sleep, while others help with eating disorders, all strains have very different effects. Please educate before you discriminate.:
#87 of 151 Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm not really against responsible mj use, i just don't like being high so i've never smoked while bfing.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#88 of 151 Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
If you take damaged or expired meds they don't work properly,
I just wanted to interject that most meds have an expiration date, but they can still work just fine after this date. It is just a "safety" precaution, but not really based on anything specific to that medication. It is pretty arbitrary.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#89 of 151 Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriforeman View Post

:

I have no interest in drugs whatsoever, but why on earth would any woman take any kind of drug at all while pregnant or breastfeeding? If you absolutely feel you must (although that's addiction right there) at the very least wait until you've finished your breastfeeding relationship. I guess I just don't see how anyone could need or desire a drug so badly that they would be willing to take a chance with their child.
#90 of 151 Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM

what chances would you be taking with mj?

this is the only study isolating mj, and it's very interesting.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page