Marijuana while breastfeeding? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do/did you smoke marijuana while breastfeeding?
Yes, but I pumped and dumped. 5 0.94%
Yes, but my child was no longer an infant (over a year). 35 6.57%
Yes, I don't see a problem with it at any age. 141 26.45%
No, never. 352 66.04%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, no, dont worry. even if you did induldge in the green, i wouldnt think you were irresponsible, lots of wonderful attentive mothers use MJ.
and, yes, we should get together soon.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 AM

I don't have any clue why I even clicked this, but man it made me giggle when I saw that 420 people voted in the poll.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 AM

and I think it's funny that this thread was bumped on 4/20
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 AM

Smoke it, don't smoke it...whatever. I personally wouldn't. And I've never. HOWEVER...pot today is much more potent than pot from yonder year ago. My concern is that that pot is never really "just pot" anymore. Much of the time it's been laced with something else. Having quite a few RCMP friends, including few who specialize in drugs, they say it's not the pot that scares them so much - it's what the lab finds IN the pot that is worriesome. Most of the pot they bust (around 80%) has been laced with other drugs/chemicals. How do you KNOW your pot is just pot? How do you KNOW it's not contaminated? What does that DO to YOUR baby?
Not a chance I would be willing to take...unless you're growing it yourself for your personal use.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiMcC View Post
Smoke it, don't smoke it...whatever. I personally wouldn't. And I've never. HOWEVER...pot today is much more potent than pot from yonder year ago. My concern is that that pot is never really "just pot" anymore. Much of the time it's been laced with something else. Having quite a few RCMP friends, including few who specialize in drugs, they say it's not the pot that scares them so much - it's what the lab finds IN the pot that is worriesome. Most of the pot they bust (around 80%) has been laced with other drugs/chemicals. How do you KNOW your pot is just pot? How do you KNOW it's not contaminated? What does that DO to YOUR baby?
Not a chance I would be willing to take...unless you're growing it yourself for your personal use.
hmm... sounds like something scary a cop would say. Sounds like anti-pot propaganda to me.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 AM

I see no problems with using it. I've smoked through both my pregnancies and through breastfeeding both my sons and have had absolutley no ill effects. No research I've done has shown any either.

I have to say, though, I'm very skeptical that 80% of any pot has been laced. Why would a dealer who is out to make a profit invest money that he won't see a return on? I've been smoking for years and have yet to find anything that had been laced.

Anyway, what we get now is organic and 100% safe. We ate Thanksgiving dinner with our grower a few years ago.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
My concern is that that pot is never really "just pot" anymore. Much of the time it's been laced with something else. Having quite a few RCMP friends, including few who specialize in drugs, they say it's not the pot that scares them so much - it's what the lab finds IN the pot that is worriesome. Most of the pot they bust (around 80%) has been laced with other drugs/chemicals. How do you KNOW your pot is just pot? How do you KNOW it's not contaminated? What does that DO to YOUR baby?
Can you give links to support your statement that "around 80% has been laced with other drugs/chemicals?"

This does sound like some scare tactic, regurgitated info.

But hey, it definetly is best to know where and how your herb was grown.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Your friends are messing with you. There is no reason anyone I would buy from would waste their money on that.

At my last annual I told my GYN that we were going to start TTC, but that I wanted to get off my three medications first: Clonazapem, Cymbalta and MMJ (medical marijuana). She told me to make sure to get off the pharmaceuticals, but that the MMJ was fine, that she'd had several patients use it for morning sickness or other conditions while pregnant and their babies were fine. Granted, I live in the EverGREEN state where the attitude regarding MMJ and MJ in general are very liberal, but I don't think my GYN would advise something that she felt was harmful.

A PP linked to a study done in Jamaica. The babies of the women who used MJ while pg were actually ahead of the babies of the women who didn't at 1 month. Here's the link in case you missed it: http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm

I hope that when I get pregnant the hormone shift will correct the issue that I use MMJ for (I've long suspected that it has something to do with hormones and I'm a big believer in intuition). However, if necessary, I would rather use a natural plant to relieve my pain than to send whatever chemicals your body releases when you're in pain to my baby.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 AM

woah propaganda machine!
seriously thats some regurgitated hogwash. WHY would anyone who is selling their MJ put something in it that costs them more and then tell the buyer its not laced? WHY?! that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, seriously.

and i know my growers personally. love them to bits and pieces and have actually seen it growing, same goes for my previous growers.

there are very few pain medications i feel comfortable taking while pregnant or nursing due to side effects in the baby, or in me. MJ is one i feel 100% confortable with. and its one of only two things that helps with debilitating migraines for me. the other is Vicodin, which isnt all that great when nursing.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM

I picked no, but I haven't smoked in years. The only problem I can think of is if it was laced. And I'm only speaking from personal experience here, but I was an avid pot smoker years ago...and sometimes it WAS laced.

caffix.gif

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
I picked no, but I haven't smoked in years. The only problem I can think of is if it was laced. And I'm only speaking from personal experience here, but I was an avid pot smoker years ago...and sometimes it WAS laced.
With what?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM

i didn't take the poll because i've never actually breastfed...i don't plan on smoking during the first few months, maybe even the first year, we'll see

but i've only ever smoked trees laced with something once! and it happened when i was a teenager. and it was probably because we couldn't just chill and wait for our regular dude to come through, we went and found what we could out on the street.

bad idea for anyone, looking for anything.

i remember being at a convenience store and all of a sudden starting to feel really weird. TOO weird. Not MJ high at all. My friends came out of the store (I was in the car) and I could tell they felt the same way. We ended up walking! to the nearest home. That's how different it was.

Basically what I'm saying is, even if you did smoke something that was laced with something else you would probably know, and be able to pump and dump er whatever.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 PM

:

mama/stepmama (07/08/08/97)
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM

I ate some brownies once, but DD was over 2 at the time and I'm pretty sure I didn't nurse her until bed time. I also had a beer or two.

It's not something I would do everyday, but I didn't see the harm in it and I know who made the brownies, how he made the brownies and where he got the green. I'm fairly certain the green was organic, hydroponic.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM

I won't smoke it for recreation, have never enjoyed it- BUT- I think it should be legal, just like buying beer or vodka is legal. And Drs should absolutly be allowed to prescribe it to their patients, even if it never becomes legal to buy. And if Mama's have researched it, and they feel the risk to babe is negligible, then I respect their choice.

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 PM

I smoke recreationally and am all for the legalization & use of pot. But I won't smoke so long as I am breastfeeding. There's enough evidence (any evidence is enough, IMO) that pot *may* affect brain development & specifically motor skills that I don't see any reason to risk it.

I mean, of course there are a thousand people who will tell you they did X and turned out fine. But that doesn't mean X isn't a risk, and that you might not be the one in a thousand people who get unlucky. The reward just isn't worth the risk in this matter, IMO.

(Of course, if I were taking marijuana for a medical reason, that would be different. But I'm not - it's just for fun, and I can live without it for as long as I am BFing.)

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM

A friend wanted me to smoke pot with her when I was pregnant and my first thought was "how completely selfish of me would that be?" Just to get stoned for a little while? I didn't get drunk, I didn't smoke cigarettes and I didn't smoke weed. Won't do any of those things while I'm breastfeeding either.

+ = and .
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidaShara View Post
I smoke recreationally and am all for the legalization & use of pot. But I won't smoke so long as I am breastfeeding. There's enough evidence (any evidence is enough, IMO) that pot *may* affect brain development & specifically motor skills that I don't see any reason to risk it.

I mean, of course there are a thousand people who will tell you they did X and turned out fine. But that doesn't mean X isn't a risk, and that you might not be the one in a thousand people who get unlucky. The reward just isn't worth the risk in this matter, IMO.

(Of course, if I were taking marijuana for a medical reason, that would be different. But I'm not - it's just for fun, and I can live without it for as long as I am BFing.)
Yes, but there are also studies from Jamaica on breastfeeding Mother's who smoke as part of every day life. If I remember correctly their children had no ill effects from it. I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I have read it.

Just sayin'

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 AM

I won't smoke drugs, drug myself or intoxicate myself with kids in my house or in my care.

My reason is very simple. Growing up, i lived with a friends mom for a while. She had three kids. This was not a trashy lady, she was quite nice, lived in a nice area of town and had a job. But every once in a while her old hippy friends would come over and smoke a few in the basement while we were sleeping. She never got TOO stoned, that i ever remember and I think she thought she was always in control of her faculties. But there were times when we NEEDED her, either physically or emotionally, and she just.wasnt."there".

Obviously it make enough of an impact into my sense of security that I will never forget the feeling of being a kid and realizing that the person taking care of you couldn't. Even if its as simple as having a nightmare and having your parent try to comfort you and realizing that they are not sober. I grew up with that feeling a lot and the memory of it now still burns me a little.

eta:
by the way, my mom had medicinal MJ for her cancer. I fully support her in that. But she was always very adamant that she would smoke it privately, not around her grandkids and not while the grandkids were in her home.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNB View Post
here we go again... lol

Tune in 20 pages later for acrimony and drama, right here on commercial-free MDC. It's a soap opera for people who only ever use Dr. Brommers.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM

I smoke on occasion for severe pain (broken hip) and usually only at night.

I don't see a problem with it if there is some security in place. Baby proofed house- you aren't leaving your child to smoke- child doesn't have access to it- and you use your brain. Some people I know, aren't breastfeeding, will leave their kiddo's to smoke, or smoke in another room or the same room for that matter. I don't agree with that.

I think that being responsible is the big part of being an adult. If you are an adult and you want to smoke or vape then breastfeeding or pregnant or whatever- do so if that's what pleases you.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
no need to pump n dump. your body metabolizes it so no thc is in your milk. hth
I always figured that because THC gets stored in fat and stays in your system for such a long time, that breast milk would also get loaded up with it. How long does your body take to metabolize it? Where did you get this info?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Interesting mixed views...of course

I don't have a problem with it mostly because my mom smoked during her pregnancies and while breastfeeding. Actually, if you look at the pictures in my baby book, you can see an ashtray with a roach in it right next to her while she's breastfeeding .
Me, my sister and my brother are all fine, healthy and smart
I understand alot of you will think what my mom did was selfish and risky, but hey... different strokes for different folks.
By the way, I'm only 26. I don't know how much "different" weed was back in the 80's than it is today...
And I agree that there are lots of other meds being used by pregnant and breastfeeding mothers that could potentially be dangerous. They say it's safe to take percocet during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
How did they come to that conclusion? ....
Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Im replying before reading all the previous posts.

Pot is relaxing for the smoker. Personally, when I partake, I'm well with the world. Im creative and happy. I'm much better with the kids. My body doesn't hurt. If it was legal to grow and smoke, I would. I have brilliant creative children. If I were to smoke, I would always be sure there was another caregiver in addition to myself with the kids.

When I pump, I find I pump more milk when I partake. I am relaxed. My concern with smoking has to do with pot quality. I will not partake right now because there is no quality herb available. Mold gives me headaches and is poisonous to my body- not sure if that would travel to the milk. Bad herb has mold.

I think if the herb was high quality and you could operate as a parent, your baby was not exposed to second hand smoke, partaking would not affect your breastfeeding. There are plenty of other toxins that should concern you with contamination of your breastmilk.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 PM

omg r u really serious?!??! lol wow you mamas really impress me I haven't smoked in yearssssssssssssssssss, I used to when I was young and silly. I dont think I could ever smoke again. I do my occasional wine or beer though

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
Those of you that say you have used MJ while pregnant.....did you receive prenatal care? Just curious, because my midwife took urine samples at every visit, and I'm sure that if I were using an illegal substance then I would have been reported.
I'm sure someone has already commented on this, but health care providers don't just test for drugs without your consent, esp. not a midwife. Urine tests while PG are to test sugar & protein, not drugs.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=Septagram;11047241]I have to say, though, I'm very skeptical that 80% of any pot has been laced. Why would a dealer who is out to make a profit invest money that he won't see a return on? [QUOTE]

:

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 AM

I used to be a really heavy pot smoker. Both DH and I were heavy smokers. Then I found out I was pregnant and I've maybe smoked 4 times since then... and that was 4 years ago. My problem is the ganja around here is soooooo good that I get wicked stoned off of just a little epecially since it's been so long since I've smoked, it sort of turns me off of it these days because it makes me nervous to be that out of it with kiddos around. I'm not a very "functional stoner" so I feel I wouldn't be the most functional mama. Once the kids get a bit older and my LO isn't nursing night and day and needing me round the clock I could see smoking occasionally, but never heavily again.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 AM

I've research lots of studies on the subject and the conclusion is that THC has NEVER been proven to go through the breastmilk. I read an interesting article on Rastafarians that showed the their babies were highly alert and healthy and happy.

Happy mama = happy babies
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromama View Post
To the poster who said 'belladonna is natural' and she wouldn't take it while nursing: Belladonna is an ingredient in highland's teething tablets, a homeopathic medicine.... is it harmful?
Hylands are homeopathic which means that the active ingredient is significantly diluted. Several homeopathic remedies have ingredients that would be toxic in their normal state.

User Tag List