Difficulty Diagnosing BF Problems -- ask all the questions!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 06-09-2003, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today at the dentist the final chapter of my BF relationship with my 3 yo dd was written.

A long long time ago I had breast reduction. I had a devil of a time breastfeeding, blood blisters and cracked nipples, tons of pumping, supplementing at the breastm finger feeding, feeding with a cup, you name it. All of the people who met with us to try and help us all looked at me and said, "your dd is feeding this way because you can't get enough milk out. Your ducts are blocked with scar tissue."

There are lots of things you can do to make bf after reduction work, but strangely, none of them worked for us. She could barely pull milk out of a tube at my breast.

Today at her first dental check up, the dentist told me she is tongue tied. He pointed out where it has already come unattached, which, he explained, happens in most cases over time.

The moral of the story: What seems the obvious cause of a thing is not always the case. The mother AND the baby should both be throughly examined when there are bf problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2003, 08:06 PM

Yup, my DD was tongue-tied too, and physically unable to nurse. I had several doctors tell me it wasn't severe enough to warrant being clipped, and couldn't possibly be the cause of our problems. She did grow out of it enough to be able to nurse by three months, luckily! And is still nursing at two years!
#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2003, 09:00 PM

Fancy finally finding this out from the dentist! I suppose it was just too easy for those medical people you dealt with to blame it on the surgery. It's awful when you can't trust the very people who are supposed to be knowledgeable and who are supposed to be helping you. I had the opposite problem. An LC and several peds were telling me dd had a high palate. Then a few months later, others told me she didn't. Now apparently a high palate just doesn't disappear so I lost a lot of trust in these people. I double check everything I'm told these days.
#4 of 5 Old 06-09-2003, 09:38 PM

Oh Robinma! That is heartbreaking. All 3 of mine were tongue tied. I did not realize it until all 3 were weaned. They were all able to nurse , but I had blood blisters for 10 days with each.

So, if you have another kid, you will know what to do. Look at the tongue. The frenotomy is quick and painless, should you need it.

#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2003, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I rewceived an email from Diana West, the author of a book on breastfeeding after reduction and owner of a web site about it. She summed it up really well: you shouldn't look for zebras when the problem may be horses. She said that any good exam by a LC involves a check of the child's suck reflex as well as a visual exam of the child's mouth.

I am glad that some of you were able to make it work in the circumstances!

I had milk. I was a terrible pumper, and of course pumping is no indication of your supply, but I could manage about 2 oz in the first week....

I just post it FYI... maybe it will help another mama and bebe.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page