baby has thrush - preventing it in my older nursling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2003, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the baby (10 days old) appears to have thrush and we have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I want to make sure that we do whatever we need to do to make sure we get rid of the yeast and don't pass it back and forth to each other. I would love any suggestions...

But here is my real question: How do I explain this to my 3 1/2 year old nursling and should I limit/restrict him from nursing or treat him for thrush too? If it takes 2 weeks to get rid of the yeast, will he wean during this time? Right now he has been nursing about 5-10 times a week - very briefly (maybe 10-30 seconds), limited to waking in the morning and at bedtime.

I plan to talk to our doctor about this tomorrow - she has always been very supportive of continued nursing. We (my husband is a nurse) suspected thrush since yesterday and I have been taking all the precautions that I can (air drying my nipples, yogurt, better breast pads) and I told my 3 1/2 year old that I don't want him to nurse until we see our docotr.

I explained that the baby and I are sick (but not too sick) and the germs are on my nursers and in the baby's mouth. I told him that I don't want him to get sick, so the baby and I will probably take some medicine and then he can nurse again when we get better. He told me that made him sad and he might cry if I can't nurse him. We talked about other things we can do - snuggle, tell stories, extra hugs and kisses, hold hands at bedtime.

Last night my husband laid down with him at bedtime. Tonight I held his hand and we listened to a music tape. I'm really conflicted about how to handle this. This could be a fairly gentle weaning I guess, but it certainly is not ideal. I really don't feel comfortable having him nursing if we have thrush, but the idea of weaning this way is unappealing too.

Advice??
Thanks
Kathleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 AM

Probably the best thing to do would be to treat your baby, yourself and your older nursling all at once. It does not have to take 2 weeks to cure thrush unless you use Nystatin, which is probably what your Dr will prescribe. The irony with that drug is that it's in a suspension with sugar which the yeast thrives on. I think I read once that the cure rate with Nystatin is something like 40%.

Try using grapefruit seed extract instead. I had really good results with it when my dd and I had thrush. It generally knocks it out in about 3 days. Follow the protocol at www.drjaygordon.com. You can also use it in the wash to disinfect favorite (most often chewed on) baby toys and your nursing bras and pads.

Good luck and take care of yourself!

peace, Beth
Old 06-16-2003, 02:53 AM

thrush resources: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

I agree that you should treat your older child as well....if you've been tandem nursing up to now he probably has the yeastie beasties too.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-16-2003, 10:37 PM

I posted earlier on the overcoming difficulties board - just wanted to say I'm in the same boat, kinda! My ds who's almost 1 has thrush. I was thinking about weaning dd who is 2 1/2, actually I was thinking about weaning everybody, oh boy my nipple REALLY HURTS when they nurse on that side! But we have decided to do gentian violet, and now they are both sleeping peacefully with bright purple mouths, and I am sporting a pair of bright purple nipples! lol... I chose this method because you do the treatment once a day for 4-7 days, depending on who you believe, and it's got a pretty good chance of working, if you do other stuff like wash all towels/sheets/bras etc in vinegar, and sterilize nipples and pacifiers. It is kind of purple though! like we've all been playing with permanent markers! whereas the nystatin has to be done over and over throughout the day and for 2 weeks... I would have had to get daycare to do it and it would have been much more drama for dd. As it was, she was dying to get her mouth painted purple!

so I guess everyone's gonna figure out I'm still nursing dd, huh :-)
Old 06-17-2003, 04:57 PM

Sorry this is happening to you, but ITA with everyone else, treat your son as well. He may have it and not show any symptoms but then when you and the baby are treated, he can end up giving back to you two again.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the doctor said that it doesn't look bad and that we shouldn't even bother to treat the baby unless it gets worse. She thinks the baby may just fight it off. What do you think about that??

I have been MUCH more careful the last few days (eating yogurt, air drying my breasts, etc). The baby's mouth seems about the same, maybe better yesterday than over the weekend.

I let my son nurse yesterday and today. I talked to a bunch of LLL friends this morning at a LLL meeting and I've decided to treat none of us now, all of us later, if necessary. Also, I will begin using vinegar and acidopholis (spelling?) now.

Thanks for the links and the advice! I hope this passes on its own...

Kathleen
Old 06-18-2003, 12:16 AM

Kathleen,

I've been through it with thrush and am still working on it 13 months later. I can see not treating with an anti-fungal at this point, but I strongly urge you to follow a pretty strict anti-candida diet. The yeast will thrive on any sugar (including fruit), refined grains, wheat, dairy. Cut back as much as you can and you could keep it at bay. But thrush represents a weakness in you (too much stress and exhaustion right now) or in your baby and I am afraid that acidophilus won't be sufficient. It will help repopulate your intestinal tract with friendly bacteria, but you need to kill off the bad stuff. If it's not too overgrown, starving it could do the trick. HTH

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:35 AM

I agree.....I really think you need to aggressively go after this stuff. Once it takes hold it's hell to get rid of. I would at least get the grapefruit seed extract and use that on your children and yourself. A lot of peds are way too conservative about treating thrush - I wonder how many of them have had it in their breasts! Ow ow ow ow!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List