When did you lose weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering when you mamas lost your baby weight. I hate the way the media acts like BFing is a surefire way to lose weight fast, because it's not that way for me and a lot of others I know!!!

One mom I know said she lost a lot when her DS started getting into solids. Did that happen to anyone here? Not that we are starting yet!! But it would be a light at the end of the tunnel

I just can't seem to lose these 20 pounds I have hanging around and it's really getting me down. I'm trying to eat well and eat natural, and I walk a lot everyday, but I still have a large appetite from the BFing. I'm afraid it I diet my supply will nosedive.

Experiences? Suggestions?
#2 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM

: :
2.5 years and still waiting.....but, lots of mommas I know start losing right away! Good luck.
#3 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM

I held on to a bit of weight until dd was 6 mo, then it melted off.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM

I lost all but 5 lbs by 5 months post-partum. I'm not sure when the last 5 disappeared. It must have just happened gradually. I must have been lucky though. I gained 55 lbs when I was pregnant, and I'm still eating a ton to keep up my supply.
#5 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgremore View Post
I held on to a bit of weight until dd was 6 mo, then it melted off.
Me, too!

I have lost 55lbs since having my baby and the majority of it was lost after he was 6 months old.

Don't lose hope!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#6 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM

my MW said it would come off when solids are introduced. I got chubby after I gave birth...in weird spots like on my upper back and by thighs....:
#7 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 PM

I lost weight in the first month--all 48 lbs I gained, plus 10. In the last 2 months, since starting solids, I've gained 10 lbs.

Just goes to show it's different for everyone.
#8 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 08:39 PM

Maybe BFing helps you lose weight faster than if you didn't. I don't think it is a miracle weight loss "thing". IME, I didn't lose all the weight until I exercised my buns off w/DD1 and DS. I just had DD2 in Mar. and have yet to lose 15lb. I haven't been trying to lose it, though. And ITA w/pp, my arms look a little more celluliteish than before.
#9 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it's different for everyone I guess. I was never overweight till I gained 50 lb. : during my PG, but then again i always had to diet and exercise a lot to maintain my weight.... really a lot more than is realistic now

oh well I hope i'm one of those 6 month people!!!
#10 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

I am a strange case. I was a size 14 before I had Harvest. By 3 months postpartum I was in a 12. After that It just kept melting off. Now Harvest is 10 months and I am wearing size 6-8. I dont know what happened. I am not on a diet nor do I exercise hardcore. I just breastfeed, chase my son around and eat healthy. I am a rare but lucky case. I deserve it though because before I had Harvest I was carrying extra weight and I had low self-esteem for the longest time. I feel SO good now.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#11 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 PM

I gained 35 pounds while pregnant, lost 25 pounds by 6 weeks pp and I STILL have those extra 10 to lose. Its soooo hard. I am working out religously now and eating pretty good (not perfect though) and when I started my work out I did lose about 6 pounds, but by the next week it was all back. I hope I lose it when he weans... or at least starts eating more real food.
#12 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 PM

The last 10 lbs. were the hardest. Ds is 13 mos., and I am just now 1 lb. below what I was when I got pregnant.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#13 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM

It takes me 6 months to get back totally to normal. This has been true for the last 3 pregnancies, I hope it holds true for #4
#14 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM

I haven't!! And I've been nursing a little over 2 1/2 years. 20% of women either maintain or gain while nursing... this is a stat I found in Hilary Flowers' Adventures in Tandem Nursing.
#15 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 PM

I gained about 55-60 lbs, lost 25-30 w/in a month and have lost another 5+ lbs since (at wks now).. I really hope it keeps coming off!!
#16 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 PM

I gained 45 lbs during my pregnancy. At 6 weeks I was down 20 with 25 to go. By 4 months I was maybe 10 lbs above my prepreg. weight and by 7 months I was back to it. My son turns 1 next week... I have no idea whether it was BFing or just that I'm an active person, but I've been back in my old clothes since he was 6 months old.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#17 of 45 Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 PM

I didn't lose it all/go back to my original shape til DD weaned herself at 19 mos (despite eating pretty healthily and working out hardcore-ie cardio 4-5 x a week + strength training 2X a week-plus running after a toddler).
I noticed a little drop when she started solids, but nothing major. However, I had an eating disorder when I was younger, and I've heard it's common for bodie to go into "startvation mode" when nursing (ie hang onto some extra weight).
GL!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#18 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With DD1, i lost all but 5 lbs right away, then those would not budge for months, she was 6-7 months old when those left. I kept losing weight, lost another 15 lbs without trying. With DD2, I lost all but the last 10 lbs right away, and now those are not leaving and DD2 is almost 7 months old. I swear that I'm gaining, despite watching what I eat. : I keep trying to work out but with my DD's, it just isn't happening. I'm waiting for that magical weight loss to happen again, but I get the feeling that it's not this time.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 AM

BFing worked for me. I gained 27 pounds with the PG, and lost 22 pounds withing the first 3 days after baby was born. By 3 months PP, I was 9 pounds under my pre-PG weight, and I wasn't overweigh to begin with.

I'm much more active now with the baby than I was before.
#20 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 AM

I'm like a PP. I never lost the weight until ds weaned. I weighed the most I ever have when I was bf'ing. I was always hungry. I could have eaten us out of house and home.
#21 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 AM

I gained about 30 lbs during pregnancy, lost 24 lbs in first 3 months, and have been struggling to drop those last #@*&^ 6 lbs since (DD is now 7 months). Finding time to workout is key, and oh yeah, I'm a sucker for sweets these days. Anyway, everyone is different, but I did read that BFing mamas tend to shed the extra lbs after 6 months. Good luck to all of us!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#22 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 AM

I gained 20 pounds with Alivia, and lost 35 within 2 weeks of having her.

BUT, I gained 50 with my son and NEVER lost it.

I've since gained quite a bit of weight since having Alivia, and I'm hoping to start losing more soon. I'm no longer BF, so my options are different.
#23 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 AM

Everyone is different. Some mothers may gain weight while nursing.
#24 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOpa View Post
I continued to lose weight beyond that point and got about 10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight.
Send some of those vibes my way please
#25 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Another lucky lady here. I lost my pg weight by about 2-3 weeks postpartum, and then some more since then, w/o watching my diet. I eat lots, including cookies, chocolate and whatever is around! The same thing happened 7 years ago when I had my daughter. What's weird though is that my weight has shifted. Although I weigh less now than I did pre-pg, my behind is flatter and my tummy is flabbier. Lovely.

I really miss exercising. I love to play sports: tennis, softball, volleyball... and I like step-aerobics and NIA... and since having Eli I've only done walking and some (OK, very little) running in my neighborhood, which is very boring to me. One of these days I hope to get it together again...

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#26 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 AM

I gained about 15 pounds when we got married (04) so I was bigger than I wanted to be when I got pregnant. I gained about 35 pounds during pregnancy and that was all gone by 6 weeks pp. I continued to lose about 20 pounds more between then and 6 months pp. I have been maintaining since then even though I would like to lose more but I can't complain. But I second the poster who said that her body is completely different. I am not unhappy with my weight but more like the lack of muscle from not being able to work out like I would like. But the weather is getting nice so I have been working in the yard - laying 25 bags of mulch, planting new bushes, etc. A friend of mine told me she lost the last 5 when her son weaned. Something about your body holding on to some fat for the benefit of your milk.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#27 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 AM

#28 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM

I lost 23 the week she was born and the other 17 have not budged. Actually I have never been able to maintain a weight so well! DD is 7 months. My diet could be better but I have a big appetite and getting to the gym is sporadic. Hopefully the good weather will help. I finally bought a few things to wear this week and don't feel like such a big frump tho so that's better!

At my recent LLL meeting we talked about it and they said it really hasn't been that long so I shouldn't worry about it. I just seem to only see skinny women with their babies.
#29 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM

I lose the initial 26 pounds right at birth usually. Then pounds slowly come off up to when the baby is 9 months old. Pick up the pace a little at that time. Then at around 13-14 months the pounds just melt off. I always assumed it is because the baby is using more calories being more mobile and I have been an exclusive breastfeeder since my third DD. I let the babies decide when to start eating solids and very few of those exclusively breastfed have wanted many solids before around 15-18 months.
#30 of 45 Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Well of course I was about 30 lbs lighter after the baby, placenta, fluid etc was out. I have lost about 3-5 pound since them so I am not back to my pregnancy weight. I am happy though. I just imagine I will be 10 more pounds then I was before my ds was born from now on. He will be 1 next month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page