how do you sleep with a constant nurser? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is a great nurser but the last couple of days it has been CONSTANT and I can't put her down. I am so happy I can nurse but I am EXHAUSTED. I can't sleep (despite co-sleeping, she is still too young to latch on by herself), and I am drained emotionally and physically. She is nursing almost every hour...anything I can do? Is this normal? How do I get some sleep? I am so tired and am afraid of breaking down......(I cried while nursing this morning I was so exhausted )
#2 of 7 Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Sounds like a growth spurt...normal, and totally exhausting, yes. Hugs to you, mama. Hang in there--it will settle down a bit. In the meantime, nap whenever the baby does: just stay in bed all day and doze when you can. Don't worry about anything else until this stage passes. Learning to nurse lying down was the best thing I ever did--the first couple weeks when I had to sit up to nurse at night were totally exhausting.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 AM

I am not too comfortable nursing while sleeping either. I find that lying in a nursing friendly position keeps my muscles tensed b/c I am sort of balancing myself on my side, trying not to fall forward onto baby or back onto my back. I find that throwing my top leg over farther toward baby helps relieve this balancing act and lets me sleep better. When I can't stand it anymore and baby is not hungry but just sucking I put in a pacifier for a little while. Your baby sounds like s/he is growing and so you need to let him/her nurse on demand. Stick it out girl. Prop yourself up the best you (with pillows or with your back against your husband's) can in your lying position and consciously try to relax your muscles so that you can fall asleep.
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 AM

Those early days can be so hard. Do whatever you can to make side-lying nursing work- pillows etc. That was the main key to sleep for me.

-Angela
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to have daddy try to "walk" your baby down in a sling if you have one and if he's available (assuming that she's eaten VERY recently, and just needs to be comforted). This was crucial for me in the first few months (still is, truth to tell). I used to breastfeed at night until I couldn't stand it (needed to get GOOD sleep on my tummy, which I had been craving for months and months and months). Then I would give my daughter to my husband who would put her lying down in the sling (we used maya wrap) and he would walk laps around our house with her--bouncing all the while--and eventually she would go to sleep. It was great to have the relief, great to have a way for her to bond with her dad, and now it is great that we have more than one way to soothe her (now, there are sometimes when I can't breastfeed her to sleep--she's too wired to nurse and my letdown is too slow--but my husband can walk her down...it's fabulous that we each have our own way to soothe her, and when she goes through "wakey" nights during teething and such, its a relief to be able to trade off so that I can have some sleep!!!)

Eventually, a great book is "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by someone (Elizabeth?) Pantley--probably your little one is too young for most of these techniques though....

GOOD LUCK!

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM

TBH I couldn't nurse laying down until DD got better head control. I slept sitting up with her on my lap for about 6 weeks. It gets easier as she gets older. You will get to the point where you wake up with her latched on and not remember doing it or she will be laying on another side and you don't remember moving her to latch.
#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 PM

i had the same issue. DD is 2 months old now. Be assured, it will get better.

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page