Failure To Thrive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can you find out how much milk a baby is getting at each feeding if they are a weak sucker and labeled failure to thrive??
How do you deal with a baby who is a weak sucker and labeled failure to thrive?
Please help!
#2 of 6 Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 PM

I would try and find a la leche league meeting, or leader near you. Leaders will often give you advice over the phone. Or see if you can talk to a Lactation Consultant.

When I was having problems with my DD's weight gain, or lack thereof in her first couple of weeks after coming home from the hospital, I had a LC come to the house. She watched K latch on, she also checked her suck with her finger, making sure there was no tounge tie.

One lady I know weighed her baby on a good infant scale before and after each nursing session to see how much her baby was taking in.

Also check out drjacknewman.com and/or Kellymom.com There are lots of good articles on getting baby to get more milk at the breast and Dr newman's site has some videos on what a proper latch looks like and what a good suck, pause swallow motion should look like.

Hope you find some answers!

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#3 of 6 Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caittune View Post
One lady I know weighed her baby on a good infant scale before and after each nursing session to see how much her baby was taking in.
I was going to suggest this, too - I bet lactation consultants at a hospital or some medical facility would do this for you.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 AM

Yes, and the lactation consultant at the hospital you delivered at should be available to you for free.
If you don't want to see her, insurance may cover you to see someone else. Lactation consultants are an EXCELLENT resource - always have at least one on speed dial!
#5 of 6 Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM

What I would start w/ is nursing baby and then pumping and feeding baby anything that is left over. Ilana's suck got better using the Playtex Ventaire standard bottles, stage 1. Baby has to suck to get anything out so it's close to bfing. There's also the Medela Haberman feeder too. Why was baby labeled ftt? That's an awful big term that I think gets thrown around a little too much. Both of my younger kids have fallen off the weight charts, Ilana by 4 mos, and they were never labeled that. We did decide to supplement her at that point, but my milk supply had gone in the toilet by then b/c of the past 2 mos. There's definitely things you can try.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 6 Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM

The way to tell if a baby isn't taking enough at the breast and is not gaining adequate weight or growth is to use a sensitive digital scale. Most Lactation consultants and hospitals have these. They can also be bought or rented. If your baby is not gaining well and nursing a lot it is time to involve a person experienced in feeding problems like an LC.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page