I was so tempted to lie and say I formula feed! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor woman. She's probably being told her dd is small and she feels bad about it.

DS: ebf for a year, 9lb 8oz at birth, 28 lbs at 12 mos.
DD: ebf for a year, 7lb 14oz at birth, approx 18 lbs at 12 mos.

Every kid is different.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
wait, are you saying your kids are small? or big? I'm confused...:
I think she's saying that they changed over time.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#33 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Statistically, bf children are smaller. (Patience please while I look up the link to a recent medical study. )I think the typical pattern is chubby bf baby gradually slims down to toddler on the petite side.

This is exactly what my DS did. He was 95%, then just didn't gain much weight after 15-18 months. Now he's 15%. And perfectly height/weight proportionate.

ETA: Trying to add link but it's not working Aaarrrgghhh!!!
#34 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 AM

...and let's not forget the charts are based on formula fed babies not breastfed. they actually redid the chart a couple years ago but I'm not sure if pediatrcians are actually carrying it. i know mine doesn't.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#35 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM

My oldest was always (and still is) rather small and skinny and my youngest is HUGE for her age. Both exclusively BF.
My midwife says that as long as they are developing well, don't worry.
#36 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
...and let's not forget the charts are based on formula fed babies not breastfed. they actually redid the chart a couple years ago but I'm not sure if pediatrcians are actually carrying it. i know mine doesn't.
I *just* came upon another thread referring to the charts. Here's one of the links posted:

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

#37 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel that mama's pain... my DD was big for her age until she hit six months and now she's on the low end of the percentiles (except head size... I ended up with tweetie bird, apparently ). She was still being pretty much exclusively breast fed and started slipping down the "normal" charts. People still always say "oh, she's a peanut". I've stopped trying to explain that she's normal for her and just nod and say "yep".

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#38 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM

My baby gets breastmilk AND (necessary) formula supplements AND solids (she's 12.5 months).

She's in the 3.8 percentile for weight, and 36 percentile for height. Some babies are destined to be skinnier, regardless of what/how much you feed them. And others will be chubby.

Looking at what the PP said, oddly enough, my DD has always been solidly at 75th for head circumfrence.
#39 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM

You handled that quiet well momma.
My DD will be 2 in 2.5 weeks and weighs 30lbs and is 36 in. people are always dropping their jaws at her size when I tell them my DH is 6ft 7 in and weighs about 210 they are even more shocked..I honestly don't think she's all that big.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#40 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 06:41 PM

i think it is super that you were so sensitive to that mama.

but... an anecdote.

dh's bf (best friend)'s wife ebf their 5 mo. she is the size of a 2 month old. to me that is just sad. yes they are skinny people but, i think that means they all need to eat more. i know the mom on ly eats chicken once a week and no fish and i dont think she takes vitamins. i beleive her baby is small b/c her breast milk is lacking. i am not an expert but arent babies supposed to grow the fastest of their whole lives in the beginning? and the growth slows down? hence the sizing of babies clothes. new born. 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 18, months, 2 years, 3 years etc... i feel bad for those tiny babies, this one wasnt meeting her milestones so maybe that is differnt. i hope the baby you met is just petite not. really tiny and nderdeveloped for her age.
#41 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM

My DS is small for his age (he's a little over 13 lbs and almost 4 months old.) I have a supply issue so I'm always worried and can relate to that mama. I always cringe when I see roly-poly big BF babies and think you handled the situation with tact. My son's around the 12th percentile now for weight and my ped and LC aren't worried. I'm supplementing with donor milk and it is hard to get him to eat a lot of supplement. He also never really let me know he wanted more - I think he's destined to be thin (like both me and DH were as kids.) Every baby is different!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#42 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Children all grow differently. It doesn't mean one mama has 'better' milk. We know this because different children of the same mama can grow at amazingly different rates.

I would have said something like this, myself.
#43 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 PM

I always say quickly that we have big babies in our family (we do) because I have this problem too. My DS is giant but only but I was almost as big as a baby and I was only breastfed 6 months.
I feel bad when I talked to a FF mama and she said "oh I had to stop when DC did X, it was driving me crazy" and I, like a tactless dummy said "ha ha yeah DS did that too!" The whole way home *stupid stupid stupid*
#44 of 46 Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
i know the mom on ly eats chicken once a week and no fish and i dont think she takes vitamins. i beleive her baby is small b/c her breast milk is lacking.
I'm not sure what you're implying exactly... That vegetarians can't make good milk w/o vitamins? I'm a dairy-free vegetarian who occassionally eats eggs. I have a 14lb 7wk old who is EBF. I also don't take vits regularly. So...

OP - I think you handled yourself well. I think you need to be proud of your BF accomplishments, independent of others'. Like PP have said, it's best not to perpetuate BFing myths.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#45 of 46 Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
I think you did the right thing. I feel badly for that mama, it sounds like she didn't have much education and support wrt bfing. Her supply could have been too low, or she could have been doing the "timer" method of bfing...you know, "only 10 minutes on each side." Poor mama. How sad that she felt the need to immediately defend herself, she must have gotten a lot of crap from other people, which sucks. Some babies are just petite, I hate all the size-judgement when it comes to babies. Her baby could just naturally be a petite lil girl.

I think you did the right thing. Lying about it would only have reinforced the misinformation that she already had. You were nice about it, you didn't try to rub her nose in it or anything.
: well said!!!
#46 of 46 Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
I'm not sure what you're implying exactly... That vegetarians can't make good milk w/o vitamins? I'm a dairy-free vegetarian who occassionally eats eggs. I have a 14lb 7wk old who is EBF. I also don't take vits regularly. So...
sorry to offend, of course i dont think that vegetarians cant make good milk, but that this particular woman wasnt doing things within her dietary restrictions to improve her milk supply like taking vitamins or increasing her protein intake. She also gave a pacifier when her dd cried instead of nursing b/c she would have more time that way. it is not so simple. i am not saying that the mom the op met was the same way neccesarily but sometimes, often? rarely? i dunno, the mother might be able to do more to help her baby grow.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page