Breastfeeding and formal wear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to wedding next month (with DS) that is described as "semiformal/formal." I have nice floral dresses with buttons down the front that would be great for nursing easily, but I'm not sure they're fancy enough. I was thinking of buying a used formal dress, but I don't imagine most of them would work too well for nursing. I've never worn formal wear in my life -- never went to the prom and wore renaissance clothes for my own wedding. I'm just not that fancy a person! Does anyone have experience with this predicament or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOpa View Post
Personally, if it were me, I would wear a black nursing tank, a cute dressy skirt and a bolero-ish tie cardigan, like this one: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...503&pid=486714

That way, you can untie the sweater and unhook your bra/tank easily when it's time to nurse.
I agree that would be very convenient, but I don't really see how it's very "formal" at all. That looks like a very wear-to-work outfit. I understand that the tendency in this day and age is towards a more and more casual aesthetic, even at weddings, but the OP did seem to be specifically asking about wearing a formal dress/outfit.

That said, the bolero/wrap idea is a good one, and might work nicely with a long dress. I don't think much of the "tie cardigan" idea for a wedding, although it would look awesome with jeans and a tank for a regular day outfit.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM

You can find two-piece formals without much trouble. Or you should be able to, that is. Check your favorite local department store, or whichever annoys you the least. They tend to maintain a good formal section year-round, & of course right now is wedding season. You can probably even find something in the clearance section.

Your other option is to get something that you can pull down from the top, either a strapless or a gown with a stretchy neckline, and perhaps pair it with a gauzy jacket or shawl if you feel it necessary for modesty.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 PM

I attended my brother's black tie Greek Orthodox wedding with my 5 month old. Strapless(long, purple velvet - cool!)was the way to go! I also used a sitter who brought my ds to me regularly (the reception was in our hotel). OT, but I "wasn't allowed" to nurse in the church (by the bride)! GRRRRRR.....!! Another story altogether!!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinkiing separates sound like a good way to go. I looked around online but didn't find anything formal enough that i liked under $100. Guess this requires actual shopping! Yuck. Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
spu

that banana bolero is really cute! I may have to go check that out!

We have DS's christening in September and I'm struggling with what to wear too. I want something nicer than my every day clothes - but I don't want to buy a 'nursing' outfit per se... So I'm thinking of separates.... maybe a nice nursing cami with a wrap of some sort, or a dressy top that I can lift up, and pair with something like a simple skirt (ugh!) or black long shorts since it will probably be hot... and, as david letterman said years ago, 'accessorize!"

susan

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM

I would assume that semi-formal/formal is requesting that people actually wear a dress or suit to the wedding. I don't think it nesesarally means you have to dress like you are going to prom or the Oscars. We live in a day where no one dresses for the occasion anymore and people tend to show up to weddings in kacki shorts and a t-shirt (at least at weddings I've been to!).

I think a nice skirt and stretchy top with a sweater is totally appropriate for a wedding. If you want to go more "formal" then I'd suggest something that stretches below your breast and wear it with a nice shawl for cover up when you have to nurse your dc. Strapless can be great for that since they are made stretchy enough to fit over your breasts, they should stretch below them too.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 06-09-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Success! I found a beautiful dress for ten bucks at the salvation army that matches perfectly with a velvety wrap that I already have. Both are maroon and the dress has skinny straps that I can just slip the straps off for nursing and drape the wrap over me for discretion. It's perfect! Thank you all for helping me puzzle this out!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOpa View Post
I'm not suggesting that she dress casually. I think you can dress up any outfit especially if it's black. A black tank with a black cardigan and a dressy skirt is, in my opinion, quite appropriate attire for a formal wedding.

To each her own, I guess.
Indeed -- I try really hard to avoid wearing black to weddings because I think it's inappropriate; the only time I've ever done so is when I was pregnant, when I wore a black maternity top with a bright print skirt and a jacket.

But anyway, I do agree with you that the type of outfit you suggested could be formal, depending on the fabrics.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

User Tag List