i am proud of my chunky BF baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but was wondering if any other mamas go through what I do. Every time I take DD out someone always comments:

"That is one chunky baby."

"My God what do you feed her?"

"Look at all those rolls!"

My daughter is 10 months old and weighs 20lbs 13 ounces. She is just a delightful creamy thing. Every time I get one of these comments I smile and say "thank you", or respond with "she's healthy and breastfed". I was offended when one of my friends compared her to the Michelin man! Why is it that people are not accustomed to seeing healthy BF babies?
#2 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 PM

I think they mostly mean it as a compliment. The only time i got really pi@*ed about it was when a lady came right out and called ds "fat"! Can you imagine? Baby's are supposed to be fat! But you dont' call them that, it's derogatory and implies over feeding. Jeez.

I wish I could tell them: Yeah, that's my milk making him so chubby, what's your excuse!
#3 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 04:05 PM

I have a feeling I'll be getting a lot of the same comments as you. My DS isn't even 3 months old yet and is weighing in between 16 and 17 pounds already!
#4 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

hklinefelter22

Your comment made me laugh out loud! Ha! I got to remember that line.
Sometimes it is complimentary, other times it isn't. It is like they regard DD as an oddity. I have also gotten the "fat" comment and that's when I chime in that she is "healthy".

Pinksmommy obviously you are doing a wonderful job with your son, he is just thriving.
#5 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Me too! Willow is almost 7 months and 22lbs.

I typically use it as an opportunity to educate people about breastfeeding/ delayed solids.
#6 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 04:15 PM

My son weighed that much at 3.5 months!

I am proud too! :

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#7 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Yea! DS is very chunky 24.4lbs at 8mo. I guess I'm fine with the "f" word (fat). I was a fat bf baby and so was my dad and we're small people now. I was called the Michelin baby. I just say "mama's milk is good" and they're shocked when I say he's still ebf!

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#8 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Doesn't it feel good to look at all those rolls and think, "I did that!"
#9 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:07 PM

dd was 23+ lbs at 5 months... (almost 6mo now) We're CONSTANTLY stopped with comments, but so far they've all been very positive (or so I assume, I always respond proud mama-like: "yep!" And in fact last week was the first time anyone assumed she wasn't breastfed. "What milk do you use?" "Mine" (and point to chest) "oh, of course, that's why she's so big." I thought that was pretty cool!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#10 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Yep, all 3 of mine have been giant chunks!!! DD is 5.5 mo and was 22 lbs last time I weighed her....about a month ago? I think...

People always say how healthy she looks and I'm always...Yah, she nurses!!

Or if anyone asks what she eats I say Breastmilk!!

We went to see relatives a few weeks ago and everyone was oohing over how cute she is and was asking if she'd started eating solids....DP was all over that one!! He said NO WAY!! She only gets her mom's milk...why, does she look like she's missing something...

She's huge. I love it!
#11 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Opal View Post
I was offended when one of my friends compared her to the Michelin man! Why is it that people are not accustomed to seeing healthy BF babies?
Awwwww, I called my son the Michelin Baby, Chunky Monkey, Tank...and I still call him Piglet. He was such a big baby (17 lbs. at 4 mos). He was solid and full of delicious rolls. Once he started to walk (8 mos), he slendered out. I never got offended by those comments. I did get asked what I fed him, and I always smiled and said "breastmilk!" I don't think people mean any harm.
#12 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 PM

I loved how chunky my boy was as a baby. Something about infants, makes them look so attractive when they are just rolly polly. My MIL used to say I must produce heavy cream.
#13 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am loving all the healthy baby posts! Wow! It isn't that I am so offended, please don't misunderstand me. I am the first person in my family to breastfeed in two generations, and I'm just really proud and happy to show everyone how much DD is thriving off of breastmilk.
#14 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

What gets me is how many people feel the need to reassure me that she'll grow out of it and be 'normal' when she's older. Look at dh and me, we're both rails! We're not too worried there.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#15 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM

When E was 4 months old he was19 lbs and everyone would say I could not possibly be sustaining him...yep,it was all me !
#16 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

whoMe,

That is a good point. My husband and I aren't rails, but I'm not worried about that either. I have actually had extended family tell me that "it isn't healthy to let her get so fat", and "that I should regulate and cut back on her formula."
#17 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM

my son is a healthy breastfeed baby too and i love it

the only comments i get mad about when they ask how much formula does that baby eat and i tell them he doesnt drink formula is he all breastmilk noo soilds nothing and they give me this look like noo way and ask how old he is and i say 11 months and of course they say dont u think it is time to wean and of course i get even madder and say heck nooooooo why would i give my perfectly heathy baby boy soemthing soo unnatrual like formula

amanda

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#18 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 PM

It's a compliment. Treat it as such. My middle daughter's arm rolls had their own fan club for a while. I also still fondly remember a friend of the family dandling my eldest on her knee and calling her son over so he could see the fat baby & telling him it was "100% titty milk" that did it.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#19 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I also still fondly remember a friend of the family dandling my eldest on her knee and calling her son over so he could see the fat baby & telling him it was "100% titty milk" that did it.

Sagesgirl, you made me laugh so hard I woke up DD in her sling!
#20 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Yep, another chunky monkey here! 20lbs at 12 weeks : I must have miracle grow in there or something
#21 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 PM

:

I am so going to start using the term "titty milk."

love.gif

#22 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljen View Post
Yep, another chunky monkey here! 20lbs at 12 weeks : I must have miracle grow in there or something
wow!! my DD is about 12 lbs at 5.5 wks--she started average at 7.10.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#23 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 PM

I LOVE seeing chubby BF babies with rolls and squeezable, smoochable legs and arms!!!!!!!!
#24 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM

well my ds is 17lbs. and 6mon. he is basically ebf and i was so mad because i had to take him to the wic office for follow up and she saw how much he weighed and she gasped and looked at me with that "your a bad mother face" and i told her that it was to bad because it was all boobie milk in there and she just walked away. then she started hassling me because i bearly gave him food. i might give him about half a jar a week and maybe less
#25 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
:

I am so going to start using the term "titty milk."

We call it Boobie Milk at my house. My husband has even written "The boobie milk song."

I also had a chunky monkey, who also slimmed down/muscled up once he started to walk. At 3 months his cheeks were so chubby, he looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid. His thighs are still nice and fat, people want to bite them!
#26 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Opal View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but was wondering if any other mamas go through what I do. Every time I take DD out someone always comments:

"That is one chunky baby."

"My God what do you feed her?"

"Look at all those rolls!"

My daughter is 10 months old and weighs 20lbs 13 ounces. She is just a delightful creamy thing. Every time I get one of these comments I smile and say "thank you", or respond with "she's healthy and breastfed". I was offended when one of my friends compared her to the Michelin man! Why is it that people are not accustomed to seeing healthy BF babies?

Yup I totally agree my babies were born BIG AND STAYED big until like 1-2 ish when they started thining out I got so sick of comments

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#27 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

__________________________________________________ _______________
"His thighs are still nice and fat, people want to bite them!"

I love it! My husband and I constantly pretend to gnaw on my daughter. It is so precious to have a healthy, happy breast fed baby. I only wish I could see photos of all the cuties described here.
#28 of 30 Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM

my bubs is a big baby too. he's 3 months and weighs 16 pounds, however, I think its all cheeks. WE call him BABY KONG.
#29 of 30 Old 06-15-2007, 05:57 PM

I have a chunky sweetie. He is just under 6 weeks, weighing in at over 14 lbs. My midwife weighed him right at 5 weeks, and he was 14.2 lbs. He has gained a pound each week since birth: he was 9 lbs even at birth.

I love it! He is EBF, so I really like to hear people say he's fat. I derive great pleasure from telling them he only gets my milk. Esp. when I hear ladies say "oh, I couldn't bf my baby. He was too big."
#30 of 30 Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 PM

My DD is definitely one of those babies. I think she's about 22+lbs at 8 months and wears size 18 months clothes! I just tell them that she LOVES her mama's milk. Then they look shocked that I'm still BFing because no one where I live does : We also call it boobie milk at home. There's even a boobie time song (somewhat primitive) that I wrote. My husband, the musician, thinks it's fabulous

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page