questions from a new mama - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone..
i have a few questions, hope u can help me with..

dd is 3 weeks old now...definitely goin thru a growth spurt at the rate she's nursing but i wanted to know (nak) --i know every baby is different--
Q#1 around what age do they not nurse as much? i feed her on cue so abt every 1-2 hours...i plan on nursing for 2 yrs and am loving it just curious when i can start getting more done around the house

Q#2-we''re doin really well with nursing now, so do i *always* have to make sure we're "tummy-to-tummy" like all the info out there says when talking about 'how-to" breastfeed? (i hope that made sense--cant get the words i'm lookin for)--i guess i mean do i have to be SO careful with positioning or can we just do what feels right at the time?

Q#3-i'm being impatient w/ her burping it seems to take so long--longer than 5 min?: and then i get frustrated cuz i know then that she's gonna spit up--what do i do..keep patting her back evenn if it takes an hour?? i think i may be doin smthg wrong...

Q#4-goes w/ #3--i know spitting up is inevitable but how much is too much (frequency and amount she spits out) and what can i do to reduce it (probably be more patient w/ burping her: )

Q#5-does air bubbles or whatever, bug them enough that they might cry till it comes up..that's how it seems..it seems after she burps or spits up she gets calm and quiet again

Q#6-when nursing her at night i use the sidelying position cuz i feel i *literally* physically cant get up and hold her...so i have her to her side and sometimes i fall asleep..how dangerous is that???

Q#7- do i *have* to offer the 2nd breast each feeding? i dont--i let her finish and usually she falls asleep or just doesnt want more (purses her lips or turns away)--should i still try?? i guess i know the answer to that but i read that it might diminish milk supply if u dont: i always sitch sides at every feeding-so should that be a concern?

Q#8-i dont want to use a pacifier *ever* hopefully -- i kinda have a reason in my head why not (b/c i feel if she has a 'sucking need' then she can just use me cuz what if she's actually thirsty or hungry and i also read something about proper mouth/teeth development plus i just dont like how they look or when they are used inappropriately) but can someone tell me other reasons why i dont want to use one...(**i realize other moms use them and everyone is diff. and every baby has different needs so plz dont take offense...as we all know many of us make very different choices to suit our families best**)

ok that's all i can think of for now....thanks in advance

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#2 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 05:24 PM

We have a breastfeeding forum designed to answer all these questions and more. I'm going to move this thread there so the wonderful ladies there will be able to answer all your questions.
#3 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 PM

I will try and answer some of your questions, but my babe is only 10 weeks, so I'm not the most experienced

Q#1 around what age do they not nurse as much? i feed her on cue so abt every 1-2 hours...i plan on nursing for 2 yrs and am loving it just curious when i can start getting more done around the house

My DD just started spacing her feedings out some. Now she can go more like 3-4 hours during the day, and 6+ hours at night

Q#2-we''re doin really well with nursing now, so do i *always* have to make sure we're "tummy-to-tummy" like all the info out there says when talking about 'how-to" breastfeed? (i hope that made sense--cant get the words i'm lookin for)--i guess i mean do i have to be SO careful with positioning or can we just do what feels right at the time?

I would just hold babe in whatever position is comfortable, and doesn't hurt you w/ her latch, ect. I do try to keep my DD tummy to tummy as much as possible, but she is getting harder to hold, so if she moves around, I just let her

Q#3-i'm being impatient w/ her burping it seems to take so long--longer than 5 min? and then i get frustrated cuz i know then that she's gonna spit up--what do i do..keep patting her back evenn if it takes an hour?? i think i may be doin smthg wrong.

BF babies don't need to burp as much as FF babies b/c they don't swallow as much air. Sometimes my DD doesn't need to burp. If she does, she will pull off and cry. I usually burp her for 5-10 minutes after a feeding if she doesn't burp right away. I have noticed that if she is crying, or extremely hungry, and really nursing hard, she will burp more

Q#4-goes w/ #3--i know spitting up is inevitable but how much is too much (frequency and amount she spits out) and what can i do to reduce it (probably be more patient w/ burping her )

I don't know???

Q#5-does air bubbles or whatever, bug them enough that they might cry till it comes up..that's how it seems..it seems after she burps or spits up she gets calm and quiet again

From my experience, yes!

Q#6-when nursing her at night i use the sidelying position cuz i feel i *literally* physically cant get up and hold her...so i have her to her side and sometimes i fall asleep..how dangerous is that???

Depending on how heavy you sleep, I really don't know. I do this too.

Q#7- do i *have* to offer the 2nd breast each feeding? i dont--i let her finish and usually she falls asleep or just doesnt want more (purses her lips or turns away)--should i still try?? i guess i know the answer to that but i read that it might diminish milk supply if u dont i always sitch sides at every feeding-so should that be a concern?

If your baby turns her head, she isn't hungry anymore. Since she is eating so often, I wouldn't worry about it. When she starts eating more, less frequently you might want to offer the other breast

Q#8-i dont want to use a pacifier *ever* hopefully -- i kinda have a reason in my head why not (b/c i feel if she has a 'sucking need' then she can just use me cuz what if she's actually thirsty or hungry and i also read something about proper mouth/teeth development plus i just dont like how they look or when they are used inappropriately) but can someone tell me other reasons why i dont want to use one...(**i realize other moms use them and everyone is diff. and every baby has different needs so plz dont take offense...as we all know many of us make very different choices to suit our families best**)

I confess I have used a paci on occasion. Mostly when I'm in the car, and will be home soon. She doesn't like it at all, and usually will just spit it out. Sometimes she does chew on it like a chew toy, though. My LC told me to not use one b/c that confuses baby, and they won't suck correctly. She said that is the #1 reason most Bfing moms go to formula after a week or two.

Like I said before, I'm not the most knowledgable, but I"m sure the others here will give you some great answers!!!
#4 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 08:54 PM

Every baby sure is different! And I'm glad you understand about growth spurts. For me it was several months before she went even TWO hours between daytime feedings. She LOVED to nurse!

Let me find some cosleeping safety links for you I will post them in a minute......

Q#8-i dont want to use a pacifier *ever* hopefully ...... but can someone tell me other reasons why i dont want to use one...

Pacifiers, for me, interfered with my milk supply. They can cause sore nipples for you if the baby gets confused, because it is an artificial nipple. They can interfere with growth spurts.

Again let me find an article for you.......

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#5 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 08:55 PM

Pacifiers:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pacifier.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec95p172.html

Cosleeping safety:

(List at bottom of the article)http://www.drjaygordon.com/ap/cosleeping.htm

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070600.asp#T070601

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#6 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

My daughter went off and on for 1.5 years nursing more and then less month to month. It was not a gradual decline for us but spurts (growth, maybe)

can we just do what feels right at the time?

I would say that you should do what feels right to you!

Q#3-i'm being impatient w/ her burping

My daughter never needed to burp...lucky me.

That's what we did and it felt safe to me.

Q#7- do i *have* to offer the 2nd breast each feeding? i dont--i let her finish and usually she falls asleep or just doesnt want more (purses her lips or turns away)--should i still try??

I didn't even switch. I just nursed on demand from whatever breast was easiest. This worked perfectly well for us.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 11 Old 06-30-2003, 09:37 PM

Q#4-goes w/ #3--i know spitting up is inevitable but how much is too much (frequency and amount she spits out) and what can i do to reduce it (probably be more patient w/ burping her )

You really don't need to worry that the baby is spitting up too much unless she starts showing signs that she's not getting enough food (e.g., not enough wet diapers, not sleeping well, etc.). Some babies spit up after every feeding. Some rarely do. Neither is a problem, unless maybe the baby spits up a lot and seems to frequently be in a lot of pain, but it doesn't sound like yours is.

Some doctors say that spitting up after every feeding is a sign that the baby is eating too much, but for a breastfed baby, that really isn't a problem anyway. My DS spit up after every feeding until he was about 3 months old. Coincidentally, he also started putting on weight a lot more slowly after that point. (He also found his thumb right about then, so he started having a way to comfort himself without nursing.) I wouldn't worry about it. If there are any signs that something is really wrong, you may want to see if the spit up is a symptom of whatever the problem is, but as long as the baby is happy and healthy, it's fine.
#8 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 01:55 PM

A'ishah is 3 weeks old now...definitely goin thru a growth spurt at the rate she's nursing but i wanted to know (nak) --i know every baby is different--

Many babies continue to nurse frequently, every hour or so, for a long time. OTOH, some space out feedings. (It depends on baby's growth rate, personality, ie: love of sucking/cuddling, and your breast's storage capacity.) Either way, they do get more efficient over time, say after 3 mos, so that even if frequent, they are shorter (sometimes), and if baby is content you may be able to put her down for a few mins to get things done. Or learn to do housework with baby in a sling.

Try not to think too much about getting lots done around the house right now. The house will still be there in a couple months. The baby is only a newborn once! Get help with housework, lower your standards, get takeout. If people ask how they can help, tell them exactly how!!!

I would say, at this young age, be vigilant about positioning. It is almost impossible to swallow with the head turned. That is why you want a straight line from top of head through the trunk. Esp if air bubbles are a problem!!!

Q#3-i'm being impatient w/ her burping it seems to take so long--longer than 5 min?: and then i get frustrated cuz i know then that she's gonna spit up--what do i do..keep patting her back evenn if it takes an hour?? i think i may be doin smthg wrong...

Some bfed babies do not need much burping. Some do. It helps to get a sling and learn the kangaroo postion, upright between your breasts. This postion can encourage the air bubble to come up.

Q#7- do i *have* to offer the 2nd breast each feeding? i dont--i let her finish and usually she falls asleep or just doesnt want more (purses her lips or turns away)--should i still try?? i guess i know the answer to that but i read that it might diminish milk supply if u dont: i always sitch sides at every feeding-so should that be a concern?

If after 3 weeks, you feel your supply is well established, baby is gaining well, peeing 6-8 cloth dipes, and pooping probably several times a day, yes, one side per feeding can work, sometimes if not every time.

If you don't like pacifiers, don't use them! they can work for some babies, but they do have risks. Bf on the emptier breast if the baby wants to suck but seems to be resisitng lots of milk. Or use your finger, pad up.

Finally, i want to rec LLL mtgs. So helpful for learning about what is normal for bfed babies. And 2 s The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and The Baby Book.
#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for ur help ladies...

i have another question though..yesterday twice when she 'spit up' she was very uncomfortable and when it came up it came out of her nose too!
i felt so sad for her cuz i'm sure it's a gross feeling...could it be the milk went the 'wrong way'?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 02:06 PM

I am still here and just saw your further question.

Did your baby have any tubes up her nose after delivery? This can damage the tissues and cause nasal spit up.

OTOH, some babies spit up through the nose b/c they are sensitive to dairy in your diet. This can cause more spitting up and gas/burping problems too. You may want to consider cutting out all dairy for 2 weeks from your diet. Then it can take 2 more weeks, in some cases, for the dairy proteins to pass out of the baby's system and for improvment to happen.
#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

wow i would have *never* even though something like that..

she didnt have any tubes or anything after birth..
but i *did* drink quite a bit of milk yesterday AND i ate cheese ..wow..i had yogurt too...hmm...anythin else..?

hmm. weird.amazing...
thanks for the info..i'll try it and see if things get better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page