advice re: intro to bottles & type of bottles/pump - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going back to work in a few months... but I want to start my research now...

I have been exclusively bf'ing and I did the same with my son -- so I have absolutely no experience with bottles.

OnceI go back to work, my hubby is taking time off. Having said that, he also has no experience with bottle feeding.

So, here are my several questions:

1) what type of bottles do you use? What is your experience with disposable liners?

2) Is there an easy system out there that I can use that I could pump/freeze and hubby could re-warm?

3) I have a lot of concerns about bisephonal-A -- and would prefer bottles/liners/systems that are free of this.

4) I also would like to find a good pump. I have the Avent Isis (manual) but, once I am at work I will need something that is quick and efficient as I do not have the opportunity to take a lot of breaks.

5) What is the easiest way to warm bottles??

6) Approx. how many bottles (and how many ounces) do 1 year olds take?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Lots of questions, but I'll try to answer a few. First off, dc is going to be one? If that's the case, bottles aren't going to be an issue as most pedi's recommend that they stop taking bottles at around 12 months. So maybe a sippy such as Kleen Kanteen's is a more viable option.

Start researching electric pumps. A manual pump may take too long and be too hard to express for short work breaks. I have a Medela Pump In Style. But there are others including hospital grade pumps you can use depending on your pumping circumstances.

Medela pumps will fit Gerber and their own bottles for pumping. They're pretty standard. If you're using Avent sippys or bottles, you can buy an attachment for your Medela pump to use. You can also pump directly in to collection bags as well.

There is a .pdf of what bottles are safe. It has been posted on MDC a few times. Maybe someone has the link?

My dd is 12 mos. She takes between 7 and 14 oz of EBM. But every child is different especially as the introduction of solids and cow's milk usually starts around now too.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I did not realize most ped's recommended stopping bottles at 12 mths! Hmmm.... I do have a klean kanteen and I suppose I could use trainer cups... I just am having a hard time picturing her being able to use those (I know my departure to work is still a few months away...).

She is currently 8 mths (just) -- and I have been *trying* to feed her solids but she is still not that interested. At best she is probably eating 1 tablespoon/day. I know this will change...

What about when she goes down for a nap though? I can't picture the use of a sippy??

I have heard about the Medela -- you are happy with yours? Approx. how long do you find it takes to pump one side?

TIA
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM

As far as switching from bottles to cups... my dd is almost 2 yrs old and still uses a bottle because she associates the suck/milk with comfort and cups completely remove that calming response. If you BF to sleep at all, you may want to consider weaning off of bottles a totally seperate issue. I switched my DS to a cup (from a bottle, did not BF him) at 1 yr because of a ped's reccomendation and it was a huge mistake, imo. Just my 2 cents on that one though.

I don't know about bisephonal-A but i use playtex bottles, originally because they do not need to be sterilized (just nipples) and I didnt have a dishwasher when DD was born. Also there are bags that you can buy to freeze bm in fit in them perfectly. I just boiled a 1/2 of a large coffee cup of water in the microwave and then set the bottle in it for awhile to thaw. It seemed to work well. (not microwaving the milk, just the water)

I have horrible luck with pumps so I cant help you there. I can tell you not to get "The First Years" or "Gerber" brands. They just suck
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM

I just wanted to add one thought - my DD started going to day care around 9 months and would only take one, maybe two 4 oz bottles while I was gone; then at around a year, she would only take about 2 oz of EBM at all during the day at day care (and we tried different bottles/nipples, sippies, open cups, straws, very supportive DCP, etc...) she just didn't want it and started reverse cycling - nursing more at nite.... Finally at about 13-14 months, I quit pumping during the day, although she still nurses AM/PM/nites...

So I just wanted to throw that out there - you may want to rent an electric pump before investing in an expensive one in case your DD doesn't actually take a lot of expressed milk while you're gone

ETA - I actually just used a Medela Harmony manual pump and could empty both sides in 15-20 minutes...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM

How timely! My DS is 12 mos and we're thinking of some of these issues (namely, cup v. bottle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
If that's the case, bottles aren't going to be an issue as most pedi's recommend that they stop taking bottles at around 12 months. So maybe a sippy such as Kleen Kanteen's is a more viable option.
Isn't the reason pediatricians recommend weaning off of the bottle so that the child doesn't have problems with cavities (which mostly ff babies have)? I am also not a fan of sippies, so I don't know what's so much better about them. Instead I got DS a Nuby cup w/ two handles and a straw, which he uses to drink water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
As far as switching from bottles to cups... my dd is almost 2 yrs old and still uses a bottle because she associates the suck/milk with comfort and cups completely remove that calming response. If you BF to sleep at all, you may want to consider weaning off of bottles a totally seperate issue. I switched my DS to a cup (from a bottle, did not BF him) at 1 yr because of a ped's reccomendation and it was a huge mistake, imo. Just my 2 cents on that one though.
This is really interesting (and, admittedly, reassuring). Apparently (according to Jack Newman) my son shouldn't be using a bottle anymore. But I would rather he take a bottle until he is no longer consuming breastmilk while I am at work. (and breastmilk is all he uses the bottle for) I just think he sees nursing (and bottle nursing, which my DH does while I'm gone during the day) as nutrition AND comfort. Why change it? It's working for us...

As to the OP--
My son currently eats 3 meals a day and takes 2-3 bottles while I'm gone which adds up to about 7-11 oz of breastmilk. He nurses constantly in the evenings and at night. I am finding I'm unable to pump more than 7 oz, so I'm going to have to increase his solids. He did take to solids a little more than it sounds your daughter is, but the consumption at 8 months and 12 months is vastly different. You might be surprised by what the next 4 months bring.

I use Avent bottles, which are not bis. A free (or whatever that is). I bought the adapters so I can pump directly into them with my Ameda Purely Yours, a double electric that I bought because it's more affordable than the Medela Pump in Style. I use "1" nipples which are for newborns / slow flow, and always have. I never saw the point of storage bags or disposable liners. Instead I just have lots of bottles with storage caps. I like that the milk stays in one container from breast to mouth.

I will say that I often use my Isis instead of the Purely Yours, but, then, I have time to just sit around and pump for 1 hour a day.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBgal View Post
1) what type of bottles do you use? What is your experience with disposable liners?
I used disposable liners (actually gerber storage bags that double as that) with an Avent and it leaked from where the lid screws on. I've tried Soothies and all DS does is bite and lick the nipple, I've used Avent and he loves the nipple, but he is still a newborn and was getting a lot of gas so we switched to Dr Brown's...and plan to stick with them

Quote:
4) I also would like to find a good pump. I have the Avent Isis (manual) but, once I am at work I will need something that is quick and efficient as I do not have the opportunity to take a lot of breaks.
I have a Medela PIS that works pretty good for me...but I've never tried any others either...

Quote:
5) What is the easiest way to warm bottles??
Someone gave us an Avent warmer, but it often makes the milk too hot!? We started just putting the botle, or BM storage bag in a bowl of hot water. But now I just pour the refridgerated milk into the bottles on my way to work and DS drinks it cold or room temp - he doesn't care.

HTH!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Your dc might also be the type to refuse ebm and wait until you return. It's been known to happen, especially in older babies who are able to eat solids. They associate bm with mom and nursing and may not take on to bm coming from something other than mom.

I tried w one of my children to give him a bottle of ebm, he would not take it no way no how, I tried in a cup, same deal NOPE, not interested. I left him with grandma and gave her a cup and a bottle to try, nope, he just wailed until I came back. She never watched him again either. (but that is a different story)

If your baby had not taken a bottle at this point, my opinion is not to start one now. From the prespective of a mom who had a bottle fed child, he didn't give it up until he was 3yr old and we now have footed 1 half of his orthodontics bill that was $3000 and another $3000 in a few years. NUK nipples are the only nipples I would use now that I have had that experience, the round nipples narrow the soft forming palate which is soft up into the elementary years.

Your pumping at work is really for keeping your supply and 1 yr olds vary from 8 plus times a day to 4 times a day to anywhere inbetween or beyond.

Double electric pumps are best, hospital grade better (Medela, Ameda), it comes down to cost. Also note, if you are large in the boob area, a standard flange is not going to do the job and larger flanges are not available on most other breast pump manufactures (Whisper Wear is a great pump, but not for me now that I'm larger).

User Tag List