10 wk old pulling away - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and relatching, over and over and OVER again: It's driving me insane, not to mention making my nipples sore.:

Any ideas why or what to do to stop it? After a couple of times I just pack up the boob and tuck it away, which sometimes makes her mad and sometimes she doesn't care.

There is still milk as far as I can tell, it continues to happen even if I switch sides. It's not happening due to a forceful let-down, we solved that one ages ago....

Help!!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 AM

OMG my DD did the exact same thing but she would scream and thrash as well, the solution for her was to get her latch on while sitting and then quickly stand up and walk around the room softly bouncing her until she was done. Seriously, that was the only thing that worked and it worked like a charm. Have you tried a variety of nursing positions? Babies can be very opinionated about want they while nursing I have discovered
#3 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Has babe had any bottles?

-Angela
#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM

How long has she been doing this? Have you altered your diet in any dramatic way?

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#5 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Sounds to me like she's gearing up for the 3 month growth spurt and is trying to increase your supply. It's annoying, and only some babes seem to do this. Mine did, everytime she was about to have a growth spurt (and would thus begin to require more milk), or when something big was about to happen developmentally - like rolling over, walking, crawling, etc.

It is annoying, and uncomfortable, but it does seem to help increase my supply (I WOH FT, so I pump. After she's done this yanking off stuff for a couple days, I start to get another ounce or more at each pumping session, even though I've done nothing to change my output).

Now, it could be a sensitivity to something you're eating, and dairy or caffeine are the most obvious culprits, but it sounds to me like she's just trying to create more milk. Let her do it, it'll be over in a couple days, and your supply will be better off for it. If it's not over in a couple days, or if she's acting different all the time, or any other signs of distress, start looking at your diet.
#6 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 12:06 PM

My 10 wk old does this as well and has for weeks. I find it goes "better" if I nurse when he is sleepy and/or get to him as SOON as he starts to show hunger cues. I'm hoping it's something he outgrows???
#7 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 PM

My DS does this when he's impatient with the slow flow and trying to get another letdown. Unfortunately, it usually works that yanking wins him another letdown, which only encourages him! If I try putting the boob away for awhile, he protests noisily, so I know he's still hungry and I let him yank awhile.

I've also known both the twins to do it when they want to nurse for comfort but there's still milk and they don't really want the milk. When they do it for that reason, if I put the boob away for awhile they don't really protest more than a second.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Max is currently doing the EXACT same thing, and is 10wks old as well. It doesn't seem to matter if there's milk flowing or not, he keeps tugging, unlatching and reattaching. Rinse and repeat

As what everyone else seems to be saying, I figure it's either he's trying to stimulate more milk production OR, and I think this might be it, he doesn't want the milk, he just wants to comfort suck and is annoyed that milk is flowing...or he's just playing

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#9 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 PM

My twins (9wks) do the same thing. Sometimes it's as simple as a wet diaper or need to burp.
#10 of 10 Old 07-22-2007, 05:35 PM

I have a 12wo who has been doing that for the past week or two as well...I actually hadn't given it much thought - I think he is playing because he will often look up at me and grin. Also if I pack it up he seams to still be content as long as I am holding him - so I think sometimes he just wants to be with mommy but associates me with nursing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page