What *birth control* do you use while BF? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK... I may be asking this 'too late'. We were...um how can I say politely... we were irresponsible two weeks ago and I swear I feel funny. Also our cat is acting *very* differently towards me. I'm sure I"m being silly....

I should mention - I have a 2.5 yo and a 6 mo and we weren't planning on a third child.

All that said - I don't know what's safe to do/to take. What about that IUD thing that lasts for 5 years or whatever. I was thinking that cuz I don't think it has anything to do with hormones. I don't want to take the pill. Ugh. What do you do!?!?!

Thank you!
#2 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Anything with no hormones is ok.. condoms, diaphragm, the copper IUD.
#3 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM

:

But I do the same thing I've always done. A modified NFP. I don't chart and I don't temp but I know my own symptoms.

-Angela
#4 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 06:54 PM

I do the Mirena IUD....the one that lasts 5 years. It does have hormones in it, though. I have to say that I haven't had side effects at all - apparently it is like taking 2 progesterone only pills per week. I used to take the POPs every day and had no sex drive whatsoever. All in all, I am very satisfied with the Mirena and it hasn't effected my milk supply at all...HTH!

I should also add that I haven't had a period in 2 years on this IUD.
#5 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM

I also have an IUD. I gave birth almost eight months ago, and we needed BC because I got my flow back 4 months post-partum. You have two choices for IUD's. One is the five year model which has hormones. I chose the ten year model. It is made out of copper, and doesn't use hormones. I am still breastfeeding and didn't want synthetic hormones. I love not having to worry about taking pills, etc, my only complaint is that my flow has been a bit heavier. The DR says that it will be that way for six months. So far its been three. Hope that helps.
#6 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM

We are very stupidly not using anything. I've been nervous though because I've been feeling downright queasy the past few days.
I was told by my midwife that barrier methods (non-hormonal) was best for bfing moms.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#7 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
:

But I do the same thing I've always done. A modified NFP. I don't chart and I don't temp but I know my own symptoms.

-Angela
I was wondering how you do NFP when breastfeeding. I was doing that for about a year before I got pregnant. Do I do the same thing - temperature thing, does it work the same if I am not ovulating. My period has not return. Just trying to find somrthing natural while nursing
#8 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 PM

My baby was six weeks old on Friday, and I went to the clinic to see about contraception, thinking I would try a diaphragm. I ended up walking out with my first contraceptive pills - Noriday: the mini pill - in 18 years. I have used natural family planning around the births of my eight year old and newborn, and long avoided the practise of taking presciptives. Now I find myself seeking some information on them. I must admit, the freedom the pill gives is a certain drawcard for me - and one I haven't had the chance to enjoy throughout my adult life. But I am also breastfeeding, so every decision I make affects not only me. Of course, the nurse at the clinic told me there was not a thing to worry about - I believed her for as long as it took her to write out the prescription. Now, I find I'm kinda surprised at myself! Incidentally, halfway through my first week on the pill, I see no ill effects on baby or me.
#9 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

We used barrier methods.

Some women have a problems with hormones during breastfeeding, some don't. The longer you wait to start the hormones the better (less affect on milk).
#10 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM

I am using a diaphragm. LOVE having no hormones (was on the pill before getting pg). It's much better than condoms IMO, but it does give you a increased chance of UTIs...a chance I'm willing to take.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#11 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Any pill has risk of pregnancy. I started the regular old pill when ds2 was 12 months old, he and his sister are 23 months apart...

I haven't used "birth control" since. My dd and ds3 are 34 months apart.

My cycles come back early, this time at 5 months PP.

I use the methods described in the Take Charge of Your Fertility book, she goes over bfing and charting. Yeah, it's a little work, but it becomes second nature and it's free -- free of cost and free of side effects (other than pregnancy usually when you choose, if you are good about following the rules).

Something one should know and I know it's not in the patient literature b/c a friend of mine showed it to me is how the IUD really works. I was really quite irked that the brochure, even in the fine print did not give the exact method of how it worked. It may not bother everyone, but everyone should know exactly how it works before making the decision to use it. The basics of the IUD are it prevents implantation of a fertilized egg, it does not prevent ovulation or the release of an egg, nor does it prevent the egg from meeting the sperm. The hormone IUD might do a better job of preventing ovulation and quite possibly building up the mucous layer into the uterus inhibiting sperm, but it like the pill is not 100% effective in that specific job, so the IUD has the back up of preventing implantation.

Always read everything you can before making a decision about birth control options and how they work and how they affect the body's natural chemistry.

There is also a new permanent birth control called Essure, it is non-reversible like a tubal ligation.
#12 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsMama View Post
We are very stupidly not using anything. I've been nervous though because I've been feeling downright queasy the past few days.
I was told by my midwife that barrier methods (non-hormonal) was best for bfing moms.
I went on that "mini-pill", more because my post partum bleeding wasn't clearning up, but it's the progesterone only pill they give you when BF'ing. Let me tell you, my milk was nearly gone. I would strongly suggest against that pill if you BF, just use condoms. We switched to condoms once a LC finally told me that's why I had such horrible supply (I was even giving DS formula and feeling terrible about it). Then my supply sllllloooowwwwlly went up.

PS the people who bleed post partum also tend to have low supply for some reason, so I didn't notice that much difference at first. So yeah, don't use the pill!
#13 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 PM

I had the Mirena IUD in. It made my hormones all wonky, constant spotting and irregular periods. I also bled heavily for about a month after I got it in. That sucked. I don't like birth control, but my partner hates using condoms! After I get pg again, he's going to get snipped though, so that'll be nice.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#14 of 63 Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 PM

The 5 year IUD DOES have hormones...the same as Depo.

Because hormones (BCP) was the ONLY thing that dried me up after SIX WEEKS of leaking (and that's putting it lightly) with my son, I REFUSED ANY type of hormone just in case it dried me up.

I have been using the copper IUD since March of 05 (4 mo pp) and have had NO problems.

ETA I nursed for 27 months with NO supply issues AT ALL.
#15 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 AM

pull out (although we havn't had sex since dd was born), but that is what we will do if we aren't ready to get pregnant again

::
#16 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 AM

condoms, though rarely because there's not much going on in the bd dept. over here.

i wouldn't use withdrawl unless i was even slightly comfortable with getting pregnant again.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#17 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
condoms, though rarely because there's not much going on in the bd dept. over here.

i wouldn't use withdrawl unless i was even slightly comfortable with getting pregnant again.
: Ditto
#18 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 AM

I took the mini pill. I also had the copper IUD.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#19 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
pull out (although we havn't had sex since dd was born), but that is what we will do if we aren't ready to get pregnant again
We don't have relations often enough for my dh to be that good! It's called pre-can I say it here, well, I don't know, so I won't. It leaks out well before the actually moment. And as I understand it, loaded with baby making potential.
#20 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM

It's called "DF working two jobs during the week and me working one on the weekends."

Pull-out around here if, by chance, we are:

a) alone

b) both awake

c) not exhausted

One of the midwives at the practice I go to recommended using the sponge. I would probably look into it if we were DTD more often. I just wish insurance covered it - mine will cover just about anything not OTC.

If I wasn't BFing, I would consider the pill, but maybe not until I am done with having kids.

love.gif

#21 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 PM

the mini-pill. i was nervous about supply issues, but i've been on it over a month and everything is fine.

i would do NFP or barrier methods, but frankly, i trust the pill more, and i need to make absolutely sure i don't get pg. i'm not even sure we want more ever, but certainly not for at least 2-3 years due to my really complicated c/s.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#22 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
the mini-pill. i was nervous about supply issues, but i've been on it over a month and everything is fine.

i would do NFP or barrier methods, but frankly, i trust the pill more, and i need to make absolutely sure i don't get pg. i'm not even sure we want more ever, but certainly not for at least 2-3 years due to my really complicated c/s.
I had a really complicated c/s with difficult healing on top of that and did not go on the pill until ds was a little over 1 yr old. We used condoms and a form of NFP until that point. My 2nd c/s I went on the pill after he was 1 yr old and was pregnant in 2 months!!! ON THE PILL!!!

I will leave my trust to my own body now. I have effectively used TCOYF after my 3rd child was born and she and her brother are 34 months apart.

If you want to have effective BC for 2 to 3 years I would have to suggest something other than the pill, it is highly unreliable and I was most careful to take it at the same time every day.
#23 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post

I will leave my trust to my own body now. I have effectively used TCOYF after my 3rd child was born and she and her brother are 34 months apart.

If you want to have effective BC for 2 to 3 years I would have to suggest something other than the pill, it is highly unreliable and I was most careful to take it at the same time every day.
i should've phrased my post differently. i think NFP can work exceptionally well, but since i have never done it, i can't trust myself to learn it while BFing. i tried charting only once, when we were TTC DD, but since i got pg the first cycle, i did not really learn much about my body's signs or get into a rhythm with it.

i guess we could do condoms as a back-up + NFP, but i hate condoms. they seriously make me want to skip sex altogether

i appreciate what you're saying about the mini-pill, but it is statistically very effective (like 95%), even if you did get pg on it.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#24 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
I was wondering how you do NFP when breastfeeding. I was doing that for about a year before I got pregnant. Do I do the same thing - temperature thing, does it work the same if I am not ovulating. My period has not return. Just trying to find somrthing natural while nursing
Temperature checking is WORTHLESS while breastfeeding. Or at least for me.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#25 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM

You really have to read Take Charge of Your Fertility if you want to effectively chart while bfing. I'm fortunate that I start having signs of impending return of af about 2 months before it happens. And while they state you can not ovulate without having a period, I beg to differ b/c I have cramping around the ovary and thick CM that comes and goes for 2 months then af appears. It has happened that way from child #2 on. I was not a functioning person after the c/s and aftermath of having ds1, sad, truly sad. So, I can't tell you what was going on w me then.

Right now I've gotten my af back, but I have not been temp taking or charting. We're strictly using condoms, my dh does not necessarily like it, but he knows my health recovery is foremost.

I had been charting signs and symptoms at 3mo PP and then with the FTT w my ds3 (child #4) and my af returning all at the same time, I'm handling life one crisis at a time right now. Pumping and getting weight back on my baby is foremost, then I'll work in temping and charting again.

I have to admit the hardest part about temp taking w a baby is the timing, since it needs to be done while still in bed resting. And since new moms are up nursing on and off throughout the night, it makes it a bit impossible. Plus since I've been pumping during the night, I'm sleeping in in the am.

I should re-look at the sponge myself, my dh would really appreciate it. I won't do a diaphram b/c I'm prone to UTIs. I won't do the IUD for moral reasons. I won't do BC Pills b/c they are hormonal and ineffective when I've used them. What else is left???
#26 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

i really like the diaphragm

easy to put in and can do it ahead of time

i havent had any UTIs

no hormones

it is a little less effective than the pill...96% vs 99%. i wonder if that is due to user error at all? i don't really get a period while breastfeeding. when i do we are going to discuss the big V.
#27 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I used a cervical cap; like a diaphram only fitted to your cervix. My midwife fitted me. It worked.

Years later (when I felt confident in this) I used NFP; watching my body signals and keeping track of my cycles on a calendar so we stopped having intercourse several days before ovulation was likely to occur. Might not be reliable while BF since BF can affect your cycles. Anyhow NFP worked for years...until my new DH and I began talking about having a baby girl, visualizing her, planning for her *down the road*- well I think all that energy focused on her made me ovulate early, and Freyja was born :
#28 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroslovesagape View Post
Anyhow NFP worked for years...until my new DH and I began talking about having a baby girl, visualizing her, planning for her *down the road*- well I think all that energy focused on her made me ovulate early, and Freyja was born :
My dh and I talk about a baby, say starting to try a few months from that point we speak of it and whamo the next month it seems I'm pregnant! It's happened 2X now and one of those times I was taking the pill!!!

I haven't heard of a Cervical Cap in YEARS, I honestly didn't think they were still around. But I like the idea of a Cervial Cap better than the diaphram (maybe b/c I have had a terrible time with things like Instead and due to that won't even attempt a diva cup).
#29 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM

I have the copper (no hormone) Paragard IUD that last a long time (10 years, I think but you'd want to doublecheck). I love it and have had no issues whatsoever.
#30 of 63 Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM

I had the ParaGard IUD, which is the copper one that is used for 10 years. I used it for over three years and loved it. I also charted during that time, but not as birth control (just for informational purposes).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page