18mo - damage already done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been bfing my dd from day one - she has never had formula. I realize now that me being on progesterone-only bcp may have caused her to be underweight. I didn't know that it could cause my milk supply to go down. She has never complained about it but she was fine up until 3mo and then only gained 3# in 6months. SHe is still only about 18/19#, up only 4/5# in 9months. I guess I know what NOT to do next baby, but what can I do now?

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM

my dd only has gained about 2 or 3 lbs between her 1st and 2nd b-days. She was a chunker and now she is tall and slender. THat runs in the family to be thin tho so I don't worry about it.

As for the bcp - I would look into a more natural alternative like natural family planning and condoms or something. I personally have a strong aversion to somethign that messes my normal body functions up so much. Not to mention the long term side affects...
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM

My kids don't gain much over a year, either, and they're perfectly healthy. It's normal.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
What can you do now?

Well, if the baby hasn't seemed hungry or unhappy, and if she's healthy, what needs to be done?

Lots of kids pack on weight the first few months, and then slow down, not because they aren't eating enough, but because they're suddenly much more active. If she seems happy and healthy, it's my opinion that she's fine. Some kids are just small. A hungry baby *will* complain, so I don't think she's been underfed.

Has the pediatrician expressed concern about her weight? If so, I'd think about solids at this point, not formula.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have a really cool pediatrician who is not overly concerned with her weight. She is really happy and healthy. She *is* growing, several ounces last time, and I think she is 1.5# more than the last dr. visit. Just coming on very slowly. In our family there are definitely small people but I have always wondered if it somehow was my fault.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Well, some of those small person genes undoubtedly came from you, but I wouldn't call it your fault, mama. You just have a petite little girl.

If you think she's happy and healthy, she's fine. You have your ped's non-concern for backup if you need it (docs are way more likely to overreact to small problems and label healthy kids as having problems than they are to label unhealthy kids as fine, IMO).
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Children's growth does naturally slow down. You will still get growth spurts but they will space out more and more. It might seem strange at first, but remember that you are used to babies who are growing so super fast!

As long as your child is healthy and happy don't worry. And remember that an 18 month old is not totally dependent on your milk for nutrition (but how nice to know that you have everything that they need if they choose not to eat a lot of other foods yet). Plus you child is more than capable of letting you know if he/she is hungry at 18 months. Trust the instincts and your mother/child communication and you will be just fine.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

User Tag List