Breastfeeding and Colonoscopy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am lucky enough because of family history to require a colonoscopy this year and I am still nursing my 2 year old. I am worried about the medications I am going to be given to have it done. Has anyone else had to have one done while bfing? Were the meds ok to take while bfing?

TIA.
April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM

You don't have to stop nursing at all.

I had one when my babes were only two months old. It was no big deal as far as the nursing. I had to use a saline laxative the night before, but that was fine while nursing. We did watch the babies for diarrhea but I was told it was a pretty low risk that it might bother them at all. Then I nursed right up until I left the house for the procedure.

I had Propofol during the procedure as a sedative http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-nmh031105.php
and the anesthesiologist recommended waiting about 6 hours afterward to nurse. I think many docs would recommend 24 but you will see in the above link that this does not seem to be necessary, and my doc even said the 6 hours was really probably not necessary. In the event, my DS was hysterical when I got home so I nursed him right away, about an hour and a half after the procedure. He had no bad effects at all.

No big deal. And as far as me, I had no discomfort at all (except for the laxative, which wasn't nice) and the Propofol wore off quickly and didn't bother me at all afterwards.

Good luck!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 3 Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM

I had one, I had versed and fentanyl during, and did not need to hold BFing at all. And with propafol you don't have to hold BFing either, I don't think. It's gone out of the system SO FAST! I would avoid Demerol, it sticks around the body too long.

But here's the thing: you are at increased risk for an electrolyte imbalance from the laxative because you are nursing. So, have them draw a CMP (complete metabolic profile) while you are there for the test and make sure you don't need any extra electrolytes before you go home. Eat some Pedialyte pops the night before your test while you take your prep (skip the red ones). And I would try diaper rash ointment while doing the prep...owie!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page