Please Help--I am feeling hopeless - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After having a wonderful HBAC, i am having worse breastfeeding problems than i did with ds. Whom i breastfed with a nipple shield till 14 months. This child won't even latch on with the nipple shield. I have flat nipples. He is content to drink out of a bottle...which i had to give because he hadn't pooped in 5 days and had very little pee etc.

I am feeling hopeless and depressed. The last thing i want is no supply and having to give formula. I however can't see myself sitting on hours trying to figure this out with hubby going back to work and ds being an active 16 month old. Are there any exclusive pumpers outhere? what has there experience been?

Please give me hope i am going absolutely nuts here. I so want ot breastfeed and feel like a complete failure.

thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM

First of all it is really important you try and get some relaxation before your dh goes back to work. Stress won't help your nursing at all and a baby can sense when you are stressed.

I know it is much easier to say "You need to have some relax time" than to actually do it, things can be so hectic.

Keep offering, but also take a few moments before you do so just to take some deep breaths or go on a relaxing walk.

Is there a LLL in your area that you can contact? Did you have a midwife with your birth? Could she help you with the latch problem?

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Don't feel like a failure, you are a wonderful mother for trying so hard and caring so much about your children.

I agree if there's a LLL meeting in your area, those women should be a good support system for you.

I pumped exclusively for a month, bc my son was in the NICU and would not latch on after they gave him a bottle. Every time he wanted to eat, I would try for a few minutes to get him to latch on, and he wouldn't so I would pump. It took a month of doing this at every feeding before he finally latched on. It can be very frusterating, and I feel for you. If I had to pump the whole time, I would have done that. I know that would be a challenge for you with a toddler. I rented a double pump from the hospital, and it was fast and easy to use. I hope you find the help you need

ds (6), dd (2.5) and arriving this spring!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 AM

I would get some time with a lactation consultant as well as a LLL group to see what you can do to get a good latch going.
If it somes to EPing, well, there's plenty of tricks to make that doable, but at this point, I'd rather see you make things work at the breast!

User Tag List