I don't wear a bra and had some pain/nipple sorenes initially 1 7.14%
I don't wear a bra and had little/none pain/nipple sorenes initially 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd like to ask if anyone has found going without a bra helpful in lessening breast pain/nipple soreness.

I just have to wonder that would there be some connection with bra wearing and lots of pain? I say that because it is known that bras constrict the breasts and bear their weight so that the normal ligaments present in breasts atrophy down to nothing. Maybe for those who don't wear a bra and have these ligaments in normal condition, breastfeeding is easier.

Also I find it an interesting thought since bras are linked to breast cancer and to fibrocystic breast disease (lumps in breast). they have been compared to high heel shoes, which can cause back pain and feet pain.

If this is the first time you hear about bras being bad for your breasts, see for example www.007b.com/bras_breast_cancer.php or www.007b.com/why_wear_bras.php

I'm not saying bra is the only cause of breast pain while nursing, but maybe it contributes to it. So I'm just curious, anyone there who has noticed less breast pain when going without bras?

once more, this is just my 'theory' which might not be true for breastfeeding pain though it is true for fibrocycstic breast disease and breast cancer.

maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 11:11 PM

I was naked when I gave birth to dd at home and stayed naked for a week : ) I could not bear putting clothes on at all and when I did, I went braless. (and had no sore nipples/breasts - not even from engorgement) I have huge boobs and hate bras! About 3-4 weeks after birth, I was given a larger maternity/nursing bra which I only wore when I went out - food shopping and stuff. My boobs and nipples HATED being inside a bra and I was happy to get home and rip the horrible thing off!

Mum told me to wear one all the time for support, even to bed! Pfft. I breastfed all the time (still do) and that has made my boobs constantly light so they dont bother me now.

DD is 6.5 months and I still dont wear a bra at home, only when I have to go out and that is like once or twice a week : )
#3 of 6 Old 07-14-2003, 09:55 AM

Not only did my nipples hurt more at first when I wore a bra than when I didn't, but my boobs and back *still* hurt if I wear a bra too long. AND I have to add that wearing a bra also hurt my supply until I measured and got a proper fit!

Since I topped out in a 36J, I couldn't just go without one all the time, so I didn't answer your poll. I wore one only when people other than DH and DD were going to see me.
#4 of 6 Old 07-14-2003, 12:44 PM

Not sure what you are saying? No, I don't think just wearing a bra should cause breast soreness. A badly fitting or underwire bra can cause plugged ducts tho. In my case, going out, a bra felt good, to support me in the early weeks/months when the breasts were heavy. Later the breasts got smaller and lighter (which is normal when your supply regulates), but I still liked to wear a bra when I went out. Esp when I was running and chasing toddlers!
#5 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 05:48 PM

With DS2 I didn't wear a Bra for the first week or so while waiting for the breast to pick a size. It was such a relief to get a bra on when I went to try them on. I didn't relieze I guess How much stress the added weight was putting on my muscles. I had very sore nipples for the first couple of days, but nothing much after that.
#6 of 6 Old 07-31-2003, 05:47 PM

All I have to say is NO UNDERWIRES!!!!

They poked me in the armpits and gave me plugged ducts. Soft cup or nothing for me!

I have worn a variety of styles but at 38 I/J cup (that's 10 - 11 inches bigger than my back - can you say top heavy?).

My absolute favorite is the Brantly / Cameo / Colesce bras:
Mabel at Ah Bras was wonderful!
http://www.ahbras.com/J_Col_CFB.htm
I personally have two of the Brantly CF Bra Lady Cameo - Nude Lace - Ultra Support and two of the Cameo CF Bra
Confidant - 1 Black Satin Knit, 1 Beige Satin Knit.

The only down side is that they are quite expensive in the bigger sizes. I wear a 38 I/J and they cost about $55 each.

These bras fit 25 to 50 back size and AA to N cup size.

You can find them online, but they are usually sold by independent distributors who will cutom fit you. These bras are different in several ways.

Back strap is low, the bra is high in the back. A linen band supports the weight of your breast and makes a shelf. You put the bra on by opening the cups and gently pulling the brast tissue out of your armpit and into the cup. To nurse, just undo the cups.
http://www.ahbras.com/how_to_fit_your_brantly.htm

This bra will put weight on the neck, the neck muscles and the spine. It also contributes to rounding the shoulders and this type of posture. If there isn't good lymph flow, then the lymph starts to accumulate. When the lymph starts to accumulate, it could contribute to a lot of dysfunctions, including cancer. These uplifting undergarments bring a woman's chest four to five inches closer to her chin and makes her look 10 to 15 pounds lighter.

Quite honestly, the best bras ever. And they're not specifically for nursing, so you can wear them long after (I've been wearing them since I was 25). These bras have a cult following. If you don't feel comfortable not wearing a bra, but you hate the way your breasts look in clothes (or not fitting right), try on one of these bras.

To find a dealer in your area (by state):
http://www.ahbras.com/CADUSA.HTM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page