EBM - bottle help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2.5 month-old and am in the process of returning to work. we're having trouble with the bottle. She will take it (not from me but from others) - but she WON'T let go until the bottle is drained and almost always ends up getting too much air, painful gas, followed by much crying and forceful spitups. Seems to me that she is waiting for the slower flow that happens naturally with me - but it never comes. We are sitting her upright, pulling the bottle away frequently, trying to burp her amidst screams after every ounce...sometimes substituting a pacifier when it seems she just wants to suck (doesn't work). We're using the medela slow-flow nipple and have only been putting about 2.5-3 oz in at a time (I think this is how much she gets from me in a long feeding - and she will drain that bottle in just a minute or so). Any ideas? I don't want feeding to be so miserable for her :
#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM

Maybe try using the Avent Tempo system. I know its disposable but the liners colapse so they do not get too much air. They can suck and suck but no air is going in. Sounds like these may work in your situation.

Melissa-:,:,, mama to Madyson (11-18-06) and Maisie (5-20-09). DW to Doug (10-23-04).
#3 of 6 Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM

You could try filling the bottle more...maybe she isn't full? I am pretty sure when I pump I get mostly foremilk and so it is not as filling as what the baby gets.
#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 AM

I second the recommendation for bottles with collapsible liners. I use the Playtex Drop-in system. The "disposable" liners hold up nicely in the dishwasher. Make sure you express the air out of the bottle first so there is next to none in the bottle. This way you can give as much as you like and when it's gone there is no air space to suck in. Unscrew the lid a bit, squeeze gently until the milk gets to the top of the liner, then tighten the lid, squeeze more to get the remaining air out. And do that AFTER you heat the milk up or gravity will suck air back into the liner!

Looks like your babe is a month younger than mine. At 2-2.5 months she could take as much as 4 oz at a feeding, but generally was good with 2-2.5oz. I don't have a LOT of experience with the bottles though, my mom was giving one a couple times a week while I was out and it was hit and miss wether or not she would take it, but that's my experience with it!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#5 of 6 Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, I'll give the liners a try. I still don't really know about the amount. If I pump when I'm very 'full' I can get 2.5-3 oz on each side in about 10 minutes. That's about how long she nurses at any one time, usually just on one side at a time. but I don't know if pumping volume can be related to natural intake volumes..?
#6 of 6 Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM

Nursing time doesn't necessarily = pumping time. You let down differently for a pump, and the pump just isn't the same as the baby.

check out www. kellymom.com for lots of great pumping tips and hints. Also on there is an article my DH (care provider when I WOH FT) found very helpful regarding bottlefeeding the breastfed baby.

Taking 2+ ounces in a minute or so sound uncomfortably fast. Are you using the stage 1, smallest opening nipples?

We use Dr. Brown's bottles, and they seemed to help alleviate my DD's gas and spit up issues. They are a painn to clean, though, and I wouldn't suggest the system if you don't have (and use regularly) a dishwasher. Lots of fidgety little parts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page