Good news: great nurser! Bad news: OW!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember my first son was like this too- I just don't remember how I got through it.

Atticus is 5 days old. My milk came in yesterday and he has been nursing really well from the very beginning. I think his latch is good, he's just a barracuda when it comes to sucking. It's not even that he's nursing all the time- it's just that he is so STRONG and the tips of my nipples hurt a lot and are breaking down a little. I've been pretty careful to make sure that he has enough of the nipple in his mouth so I don't think that's the problem. I would have thought that my nipples would be "hardier" this time around- it really hasn't been that long since I was nursing my first son.

Also- I noticed a little bump on the inside of his top lip that looks a little like a blister.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Sorry moma I don't think your nipples do toughen up or get "hardier". This must be a common misconception because I know someone else who had that idea. Its like starting over, but you have all the knowledge from dc1. The only thing is that my 2nd child nursed a bit differently so it took me awhile to get used to. I'm sure your newborn won't always suck so ferociously.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

That is really interesting about the blister thing. My daughter had the exact same thing. It was whitish and a bit thick. It came off after a few weeks though like dead skin.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 AM

Are you sure that's not thrush?

Is it white?

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 AM

My DD had a sucking blister too. It goes away after a few weeks.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:48 AM

I took tylenol or motrin or whatever they gave me for post partum pain relief. I also used lanolin like crazy and ger*er gel pads which were awesome but kind of freaked me out at the same time.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:14 AM

My mama calls the little white blister a "milk tooth" - oddly enough mine reappears sometimes and it's at least 20 years since I was breastfed!

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM

I had the same problem with DS. I had a strong let down and he was chomping my nipple to slow down the flow. The lactation consultant told me to break his latch and express a little to slow down the flow. It worked but only after 3 weeks of really painful nipples.

If you are having pain I would suggest calling a LLL leader. At least just to run it by her. They are full of all kinds of good advise and may be able to help over the phone.

Good luck mama!!

User Tag List