Extended Nursers (past 12 months) have you lost weight? Or Not? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Extended Nursers (past 12 months) Have you lost weight? How much? Or Not?
Yes, I've lost 10 lbs or less 13 15.29%
Yes, I've lost between 10-20 lbs 13 15.29%
Yes, I've lost over 20-35 lbs or more (melting away) 19 22.35%
No, I'm the same pre-pregnancy weight 14 16.47%
No, I am heavier than I was before pregnant 26 30.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 07-15-2003, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have lost 35 lbs since my dd turned 1 yr, she's now 21 mos. I'm trying to figure out why since I don't really put much effort towards it. Is it just a couple of simple dietary changes that I have made like cutting down on dairy products?

I also think maybe since we don't have a microwave anymore, I am not eating processed frozen foods.

I've been carrying this extra 35 lbs for 10 years, so is weight loss just from nursing?? Whenever I tried to lose weight before nursing, I never lost more then 10 lbs. I'm wondering if others are experiencing this too.

Scared I'm going to gain it all back after she weans and I don't want to gain the weight again because I feel very healthy and comfortable. No more restricted clothing, I sleep better, my asthma is better. = )
:bf
Thanks for voting.
= ) Yvonne
#2 of 39 Old 07-15-2003, 10:00 PM

Gained 60 + lbs with my last and have lost it all. Am fighting to stay at my pre-pregnacy weight. Which according to Drs is underweight but is normal for me.
#3 of 39 Old 07-15-2003, 10:13 PM

i'm not going to vote, since i have odd circumstances.
i was on antidepressants, so those caused a 30 pound weight gain before i got pg.
after i quit those, i lost a good bit of weight, and now that i am walking, i'm losing and toning, but i don't think it has much to do with nursing. sob. i was promised weight loss by my LLL, and i feel gypped.
#4 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 12:07 PM

I EBed both of my kids (one for 14 months, one for 2 1/2 years) and never saw weightloss as a result of it. I am still 40-50 pounds over what I was when I got pregnant the first time 9 years ago. I think that weight loss due to nursing has a lot more to do with genetics and the ease some people have in lossing weight than the act of nursing. My mother and sister all nursed their children (though not a long as I did) and none of them lost weight as a result.

I too feel gyped...

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#5 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 01:11 PM

I lost weight throughout the first year of nursing. It has been stable for the last 10 months, though.
#6 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 PM

I gained 50 pounds when preg with dd and lost it all by the time she was 6 weeks. Then I continued to slowly lose another 25 pounds until she was about 9 months. Then I settled there. I never did anything to try to lose weight. I ate like a pig everyday too. It had to be the nursing because I got preggo again when dd was 11 months and as soon as my milk dried up I started to pack on the pounds. I am now 27 weeks and have gained about 45 pounds.
#7 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 03:22 PM

My husband and I joined Weight Watchers when ds was 4 months old. Dh lost about 40 pounds, and I have lost 62!! Weight Watchers gives nursing moms 10 extra nursing points (chocolate points - yea!). When ds was tiny, I could tell that I needed those extra points. I gradually cut back on the extra points, and now I just follow the regular program.

I weigh 110 pounds less than I did the day we left the hospital with ds!! I lost 48 pounds in the first two weeks (preeclampsia - LOTS of fluid). At two weeks postpartum, I weighed 7 pounds less than my prepregnancy weight.

I've been exercising a lot in the last few months. I was these last 6 pounds off and muscle tone before we start the next baby.
#8 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Elizabeth!!! You are doing great!

= ) Yvonne
#9 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 05:29 PM

Thanks! I had actually been a little discouraged recently. Not seeing the forest for the trees. Then I found a before picture! It's hard to believe I really looked like that. 214 to 146 really is a big difference.
#10 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

That is a big difference. I went from 180 to 144 too!!!

Now I have my favorite problem which is not having any clothes that fit me. LOL

= ) Yvonne
#11 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 07:16 PM

I lost 10 lbs after having ds2--and he weighed 8 lb 10 oz of it!

Only after he turned 1 could I lose--and I've dropped about 8 lbs (see sig line) in 8 weeks. I weigh in tomorrow so we'll see how three weeks of vacation hurt me

For me, nursing makes my body hold onto the fat. That happened with ds1. but since I'm committed to long-haul nursing--ds2 is 15.5 mo and I just bought seven new nursing shirts (size M! Yeah! and i bought some S for the future...)--I assume those last few lbs will take come time.

Mel
#12 of 39 Old 07-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

I wasn't overweight before I got pregnant, but I'm now about five lbs lighter than my prepreg weight (consistently so). As someone else posted, I cut back on what I eat as dd gradually nursed less. Dd is still nursing (26 months), I still eat three healthy meals per day and run daily, and everything seems fine. You'll probably do fine, too, as long as you cut back on what you eat as your child nurses less.
#13 of 39 Old 07-18-2003, 03:43 PM

I gained almost 50lbs. with dd and I had lost that by the time she was about 10 months. Then I stayed the same for about 3-4 months, then started losing again for a few months. DD is now 19 months and I am about 15lbs. under pre-prego weight. I have never tried to lose any weight, I just contribute it all to nursing!!
#14 of 39 Old 07-19-2003, 01:47 AM

I'm about 15 pounds lighter than I was before I had ds, and I was at a very healthy weight for my height. I gained about 35 pounds during my pregnancy, had a 9#5oz, 23" baby (yes, very large), and had 9 pounds to lose when I got home from the hospital to get to my prepregnancy weight. He's 2 now, with the 9+15 loss, I'm a bit underweight. (I also lifted weights before I had ds, and I think some of the weight loss is just loss of muscle, sad to say ). I feel like I eat a lot, but I'm pretty active, and ds still nurses a lot, and I chase him around all day.

Kristine
#15 of 39 Old 07-19-2003, 03:45 AM

I've gained 50 lbs each time I got pregnant. I was as close as I could get to normal (10 extra lbs) by 1yr (she bfed for 16 mos), 2yrs (he bfed for 14 mos) and this time ds#2 is 1 and I'm still workin on losin another 30 lbs to be normal! My arms/legs look good but belly has alot of empty skin that has to shrink down yet...I gotta get more exercise...both older kids will be in school all day this fall and I'm gonna sweat, it's the only way!
#16 of 39 Old 07-19-2003, 09:22 AM

I gained about 40 with each pregnancy. Within the first year I was back to pre-preg weight, but then struggled to hold it--I sometimes dipped down another 5 lbs or so while nursing. Once they weaned, I went back up to pre-preg wt and stayed there.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#17 of 39 Old 07-20-2003, 10:58 PM

I was overweight when I got pregnant with my first: 195lbs on a 5'10" frame. I gained 37lbs while pregnant....got up to 232. Within 2 weeks after ds was born, I had lost 20lbs. I stayed around 217-218 for a few months. In the last month or so I've been averaging between 213-215lbs. It seems like now I'm just stuck. I'm eating pretty healthfully, have gone over to all organic produce and such. My ds is 5 months old now, and I think now I really need to get excercising more regularly. I don't think the nursing is helping me lose weight at this point....I've been around the same weight for about 3 months.

#18 of 39 Old 07-20-2003, 10:59 PM

oops i just realized it's for 12 months or longer. Well, I plan to anyway. Oh well.

#19 of 39 Old 07-20-2003, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

I gained weight up until my dd was 12 months old. It wasn't till after that I had been steadily losing weight. I've heard this same story from others too so don't feel discouraged.. Keep up the good work.

= ) Yvonne
#20 of 39 Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I know this is not very "PC" of me to say but I'm under my pre-pregnancy weight and I love it! I didn't really change my diet but I'm 1,000x more active now that I have my daughter and have much, much more energy. I can't sit still anymore and I'm just more aware of how much I can fit into a day. Plus, my daughter hates the car and the buggy so I end up slinging her or riding her in the bike.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#21 of 39 Old 07-22-2003, 12:09 PM

I am back under my preg. weight. But I don't attribute it to the nursing. I have metabolism issues. I was severely underweight before DS(82lbs and 5'3") and maintained a healthy weight of 110 after him, then down to 95 before DD, and now at a healthy weight of 110 again. If I do anything other than sit on my butt I lose weight. Some might think it's a blessing, but being underweight puts a real strain on your body, and if I were to get pneumonia or a really bad/long lasting virus it could kill me. This is all thanks to a mom that smoked when preggo with me, I was born weighing 3 lbs and have been underweight ever since(thank goodness she quit shortly after I was born)
#22 of 39 Old 07-23-2003, 11:30 PM

It's a bit complicated I guess. I lost 80 pounds from the heaviest I was at at the end of my pregnancy. I gained 70 wth the twins. I know.. yikes! So i guess I lost about 10-15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I think exclusive bfing twins burned a lot more calories than your average singleton bf relationship. I managed to keep the weight off for the most part with some prmal fluctuation depending on my diet and activity level... but i've found it's a great way to keep my metabolism steady and relatively high.

No I'm pregnant and the nursing has pretty much stopped now that i'm in my second tri... i know I'll lose weight again with our third baby and am looking forward to keeping it going for as long as possible!
#23 of 39 Old 07-27-2003, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lost weight quickly at first but am noticing it's harder to lose the last 5 or 10 lbs. I gained 17 lbs while pg and lost it all a week after delivery, and then at my 6 week checkup had lost another 5 lbs. Since then I have lost 20 more and want to lose another 10. Since dd has been 12 months I have only lost about 10 lbs. She is 19 months now and we are only nursing once a day. After several weeks of struggling I have lost about 3 lbs. I don't know why it's so hard now but I don't think it relates to nursing that much, since sometimes she goes a few days in a row with none.
#24 of 39 Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM

Hi,

Is there some reason that nursing past 1 year causes weightloss? I had read that nursing is supposed to help with post-pregnancy weight loss, but I only started losing weight about three months ago (ds is now 16 months), then I lost about 15 pounds which for me is the most I have lost in years. Since I wasn't even trying, I was concerned that there was some other problem. I had been trying acupuncture for my eczema and the acupuncturist said one of the side effects is normalization of appetite (instead of excessive appetite) and therefore weight loss.

Just curious,

Kathy
#25 of 39 Old 07-27-2003, 07:11 PM

I gained 65lbs while pregnant and have lost 90 since my highest pregnancy weight. Dd will be 2 in September, so it's been very gradual and I've put a lot of effort into losing. None of it really melted away or was particularly easy to lose, but I still think the nursing helps a little.
#26 of 39 Old 07-28-2003, 01:58 PM

I gained 25-30 lbs with each dd and went back to pre-pregnancy weight within about 4-6 months. When dd2 was 10 months old I joined Weight Watchers. I used half of the extra points allowed for nursing per advice of the leader and lost 25 lbs in about 14 week. I believe it went so fast because I was nursing - I've never lost weight like that before. One year later I'm still nursing my 24 month old and still using the extra points and I've kept the weight off - only up and down a few lbs. I'm nervous that when dd2 weans I will gain back more weight. Then I guess I will have to add more exercise - now it's just chasing my two dds.

Normee
two dds 7/3/99 and 6/30/01

Normee, married to DH since 1997, mama to DD born 1999 and DD2 born 2001
#27 of 39 Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Bump!
#28 of 39 Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 AM

Well, it says the poll is closed. But I would have picked "melting away".

I weigh 12 lbs less than I did before my pregnancy and am at my "goal weight". I haven't been at this weight since I lost 30 lbs four years ago.

The difference is I CAN EAT ANYTHING

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#29 of 39 Old 08-22-2003, 02:48 AM

Well, it says the poll is closed. But I would have picked "melting away".

I weigh 12 lbs less than I did before my pregnancy and am at my "goal weight". I haven't been at this weight since I lost 30 lbs four years ago. The difference is I CAN EAT ANYTHING and I don't gain any weight. I have never, ever been able to do that as an adult. I eat ice cream, pastries, full-fat yogurt and granola, I snack at least once a day besides three meals...I know this sounds like bragging, but you gotta understand that I have NEVER been able to do this before and I know it's gotta be the nursing. I don't eat alot when it comes to sheer quantity, but I do eat alot of items that normally I would have to keep quite limited.

I'm trying to enjoy it while I can b/c I just know that once DD is weaned I will have to go back to watching what I eat.

Breastfeeding ROCKS!!!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#30 of 39 Old 08-22-2003, 02:49 AM

I wish I lost weight! I gained 30 pounds before I got PG with DD, gained 55, lost 70 and had 15 to go to get to my pre-pre PG weight LOL, when I got PG with DS, gained 55, lost NONE (except 10 pounds when I gave birth, LOL!)
I still have my "baby fat" and my baby is 2 1/2. He nurses a couple times a day and at least twice at night. *sigh* I weigh 190 and should weigh 145, good thing I'm 5'9". Same thing happened to my sister, we became very, um, matronly looking when we got preggo and haven't been able to get back to our former selves.
I tell DH that if a hurricane hits this year we won't need food for all 4 of us, just feed me and I'll nurse everyone and have enough fat storage to feed us all for weeks.
When he weans I'm gonna Slim Fast big time!

Melanie:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page