BFing advice/books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm bfing and all seems to be going well and good. 3 1/2 wk old dd latches on great now and the supply seems to be there but...
she wants to nurse constantly! i didn't think it was an issue (still don't really) but i'm new to all this and want to make sure i'm doing it all right. just went to our local library and the only book they had even mentioning bfing was a pediatrics book telling me to give her sugar water if she eats more than once every 3 hours! : well, i put that book down.
so, what's your best advice as far as how often?
also, what bfing books do you recommend?
any other bfing advice? she seems to be congested and gassy...what to avoid eating?
thanks in advance!
#2 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 03:56 PM

congrats!!!
as far as how often, well, whenever babe wants it! in fact, nursing often early on helps establish a good supply for the rest of your nursing relationship. i remember nursing pretty much constantly early on. sometimes she would only suck lightly and probably not get much, but it was very soothing for her and helped her cope with not being in the womb any longer. they need all the comfort we can give them when they are so little and vulnerable.
as far as foods to avoid, the 3 most common allergies are dairy, soy and eggs, so try eliminating one of those groups from your diet.
#3 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM

my boy is four weeks old and he nurses constantly too.
my only problem with it is im sick of people telling me to give him a pacifier!

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#4 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM

When my ds was that small it seemed like he was nursing ALL the time, but he was actually nursing about every two hours and latched on for about 45 minutes. By the time I had finished changing, playing with, dressing, bathing him, it seemed like it was time to start over. :

What is the distance between the beginning of each feeding? Also, is it more often during the day and more spaced out at night? (My ds did this as well.)

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#5 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

wow, i feel much better thank you.
it is more spaced out at night as she sleeps first for four hours then two then another hour maybe before she's really up. i feed her in between all of those. during the day it ranges from an hour to two hours apart. i try to engage her otherwise but she gets frustrated and mostly just wants to nurse.

i don't eat eggs and rarely soy but my goodness do i love cheese!! i can't imagine not eating dairy. i don't eat meat - what would be left?! dh - a fab cook - would be heartbroken! oh, well. i'll try it out
#6 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM

My ds nursed constantly at that age too. He is 4 months now and just lately has started going through longer stretches w/o eating.

caffix.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Sounds just like how my DD was at that age.

I recommend La Leche League's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

http://www.amazon.com/Womanly-Art-Br...8504245&sr=8-1
#8 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAJs View Post
Sounds just like how my DD was at that age.

I recommend La Leche League's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

http://www.amazon.com/Womanly-Art-Br...8504245&sr=8-1
:

Excellent book. Constant nursing early on is totally normal, though, despite our society's insistence that babies should eat on a schedule. 24/7 nursing doesn't last forever, though!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#9 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM

The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers is the only book that didn't rub me the wrong way, and I've read a lot of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Breas...8514310&sr=1-2

Many babies have a time of day that they like to do a marathon nursing session. My first son would nurse all the time and in the evening for a few hours straight.
My second son was a quick but frequent nurser. My third actually sounded like one of those babies in "those books" who ate every 3-4 hours, but that was his own preference.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#10 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to breastfeeding!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page