Marijuana and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does smoking pot while breastfeeding mess up your child? please don't go into the fact that it's illegal, i know that getting caught smoking it could mess my child up, but thats not what i'm asking. so please don't go on a rant about that.
#2 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 AM

The effects of marijuana haven't been completely figured out, but it can definately effect your baby as much as any other drug, why do you think it's not rocommended (besides the legal factor)?

Do you really want to take the chance? How would you feel if your happy healthy baby developes a health or developemental problem because you smoked an illegal drug? Don't take any chances.

Here are a few resources to look at:

http://www.babycenter.com/400_is-it-...nfo%4020e69f05

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/c...marijuana.html
#3 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 AM

I would call our local LLL leader or check Kellymom.com I believe that pot stays in your system longer than any other & heard that you need to abstain from bf for 30 days after smoking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnn27 View Post
does smoking pot while breastfeeding mess up your child? please don't go into the fact that it's illegal, i know that getting caught smoking it could mess my child up, but thats not what i'm asking. so please don't go on a rant about that.

Lovin Jesus, Homeschooling, CLW Unity( jan05) & living life with my Hero of 10 years, 5 cats & 3 turtles
#4 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 AM

It's my general understanding that there really aren't any good studies off of which to base a decision.

I recall hearing of a report based on Jamaican women, since it's a part of the culture there. And I do believe there weren't any negative effect noted.

Many times, the problem with studies regarding marijuana, specifically thc, in bm is that there are other drugs in the mix. Really though, it wouldn't be ethical, or legal, to conduct a study of this sort.

There's a past thread with good info that I'd link here, but for some reason my internet is being really slow. I'll edit and add later.
#5 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 AM

I'd like to think I'm living proof that smoking pot while nursing has no ill effects. My mom smoked through my nursing years (4.5 yrs). I have a normal-high IQ. : I have no physical abnormalities. I was an average kid and did not have any odd behavioral 'problems' that seem to be cited by the anti-pot crowd.

Apparently there have been issues with CPS/DCFS being called when they are made aware of any pot use by a family member or the mom. Given the fact that the CPS police will get you if they want to get you for anything they want to get you for I would think little of basing my decisions on what they may or may not have a problem with.

Hope to help!!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#6 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 AM

I can't give you scientific proof that it's bad for a baby, but I'm sure that proof is out there. Even if it wasn't, though, we all know that it IS illegal. Why would you do something that could quite possibly get your child taken from you? I don't find it great parenting that someone would do something that could land CPS on your front door and your child in a foster home
#7 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 AM

#8 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
I can't give you scientific proof that it's bad for a baby, but I'm sure that proof is out there. Even if it wasn't, though, we all know that it IS illegal. Why would you do something that could quite possibly get your child taken from you? I don't find it great parenting that someone would do something that could land CPS on your front door and your child in a foster home
You know what's funny about this? I've actually LOOKED for research to back up the claims that marijuana kills brain cells and causes harm, and you know what I've found?

NOTHING.

Instead I found that most of the "research" and propaganda telling people marijuana is so harmful is backed up by guess who? Big Pharma, who wants to keep marijuana illegal because if you can grow your own antidepressant instead of paying them for Prozac and Paxil and Effexor and Celexa and whatever other drug du jour they cook up for public consumption, they don't like that.

Look, I'm not depressed, so I don't take any kind of antidepressants (including marijuana, which even though it is officially labeled as a "depressant," lots of very reasonable people use it as an antidepressant, to good (anecdotal) effect), but I see a big conflict-of-interest here.
#9 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Absolutely! The whole reason pot is illegal in the first place is because the government linked it to industrial hemp in the '20s at the bequest of Dupont, big oil, big cotton, and big paper (Hearst). (see: Reefer Madness) Industrial hemp would eliminate the need for any of those industries.

Sorry to get off topic, but this is something that really makes me mad! It's almost as maddening as the people who say that having a beer is making your baby drunk. There isn't a direct line from my mouth to my boobs! What do you think we did before water was safe to drink? We drank wine, beer, and mead. And humans still turned out okay!
#10 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Well since everyone else went off on a tangent, I'm going to bring in another side of it.

Even if there is no harm in smoking it and BF, what kind of example are you sending your children? I grew up in a family (pretty much the whole family too) that abuses drugs and/or alcohol. It's not something I'm proud of, but I was terrified as a child that somehow I would be taken away from my parents and it also made me so mad that my parents thought their addictions were more important than me. I grew up SWEARING that my children would never have to worry about that with me. I'm sorry, but I really look down on anyone that would take the chance of harming their child simply for a "high".
BTW, just because their aren't any studies doesn't mean it should be OK.
#11 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TovahNeryse View Post
BTW, just because their aren't any studies doesn't mean it should be OK.
That's not what I'm saying. What I've found is that there have been studies, and that the results didn't make Big Pharma happy because they were either "inconclusive" or they showed that marijuana had benefits that Big Pharma didn't want to acknowledge.

But that doesn't stop them from spouting lies on TV and other media about marijuana killing brain cells (which they have NO proof or evidence for). I have a BIG problem with that deception.
#12 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Even if there is no harm in smoking it and BF, what kind of example are you sending your children? I grew up in a family (pretty much the whole family too) that abuses drugs and/or alcohol. It's not something I'm proud of, but I was terrified as a child that somehow I would be taken away from my parents and it also made me so mad that my parents thought their addictions were more important than me. I grew up SWEARING that my children would never have to worry about that with me. I'm sorry, but I really look down on anyone that would take the chance of harming their child simply for a "high".
I'm sorry you grew up in a situation where you felt your parents were choosing drugs over you. That's not healthy, I agree.

However, if they had a glass of wine with every meal, instead of the drugs they did, do you think you would still feel the same way about them?
#13 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
Sorry to get off topic, but this is something that really makes me mad! It's almost as maddening as the people who say that having a beer is making your baby drunk. There isn't a direct line from my mouth to my boobs! What do you think we did before water was safe to drink? We drank wine, beer, and mead. And humans still turned out okay!
Not all of them.
#14 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 AM

According to Jack Newman Formula is a far greater risk to her child's health.

If you're concerned because you smoked pot and then nursed...don't be. It's no big deal. If you're doing other drugs or are incapacitated to the point of not being able to take care of your kids (which require A LOT of marijuana) then some self-reflection might be in order. For more information on what is and what is not okay while nursing, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Breas...9175854&sr=8-1

A few other of you may want to consider reading it too before offering advice so authoritatively.
#15 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmama View Post

To the OP...there really isn't enough research out there to prove its safety.
Or to suggest that it isn't safe.

There just really isn't enough research either way to justify the harsh judgment in some of these replies!
#16 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Somebody needs to say this, though: I wouldn't be concerned about the marijuana itself. I would be concerned about anything somebody might have adulterated it with. If you don't know where the pot came from, if it was imported or something, anything could have happened to it, anyone could put something harmful on it, so keep that in mind. It might be too risky in that case.

ETA: Of course, if it were to become legal, then consumers would have protection against that danger. As it is, the illegality of it is what makes it so dangerous, not the plant itself. I hope I wrote that clearly enough.
#17 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Or to suggest that it isn't safe.
I agree.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#18 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
It is an Herb...Not CRACK!!
:

It's also not heroin, meth or speed. When someone says "street drugs" and includes marijuana, it seems kind of funny, because IMO mj and these drugs are not even related.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#19 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Most people I know don't even consider pot a drug. Even less so than cigarettes, which are one of the most addictive drugs there is. Cigarettes have more severe withdrawl symptoms than heroin. That's why so many people find it hard to quit.
#20 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Coming from a family described in my previous post....

9 times out of 10 pot IS laced with something else! Unless you are growing it yourself then you CANNOT be sure that it is 100% safe? Like I said before....
Why take the chance?
#21 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Coming from a family described in my previous post....

9 times out of 10 pot IS laced with something else!

Could you please share with us where you got this figure?

Quote:
Unless you are growing it yourself then you CANNOT be sure that it is 100% safe? Like I said before....
Why take the chance?
This is a good point, so you acknowledge that if a woman knows that it was grown without pesticides or laced with anything else, then it's about as safe as any other prescription drug out there (and possibly even safer)?
#22 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM

For what it's worth, I know that I read somewhere that the occassional use of marijuana while nursing is less detrimental to babies than the occassional alcoholic beverage. I think it was in What's Going on in There?, but I borrowed the book from the library and can't look it up to be sure. The bigger problem is the CPS issue, since marijuana stays in the system for a long time and would show up if your lo was tested for any reason. And, as pp's have mentioned, there isn't a lot of research on this topic so it's tough to be sure.
#23 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 05:57 PM

What would be the purpose of soaking MJ in household chemicals or adding paint chips to it?
Any experienced user would recognize that something was wrong with it right away. Paint chips are visible, you can smell chemicals. Not to mention you would DEFINITELY taste them. As for adding other drugs, that it also uncommon and very recognizable. And I don't see what the point would be for the dealer to give you extra drugs for free. In high school I had a friend who bought MJ laced with Meth, but she paid EXTRA for it because the meth was seen as an added bonus...2 drugs in 1!

Anyway, here in Portland (oregon) we don't really have that problem. I can't speak for the rest of the country. In this area there are so many people who grow their own that almost everyone knows a grower these days. And if you trust your grower or grow your own then you really don't have to worry about it being laced.

On a side note, it sounds like your DH was involved with a VERY strange group of people if they were soaking MJ in chemicals. Sounds like there was some other drug use going on as well to motivate a person to do something so reckless and Bizarre.
#24 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM

I'm going to have to agree. IF the mj is laced, it will be noticeable and cost extra. It is random unresearched statements such as 7 out of 10 "whatevers" that give actual facts a bad rep. Some people just (not pointing fingers at all) will just beleive what you tell them. Unless you have found a study (which, as we all know, can be skewed to any answer you desire - think global warming not existing) that makes such a claim, you shouldn't just throw numbers out of the air. IMO. I understand that some people have very addictive personalities and can use drugs as a crutch and excuse for bad behavior. HOwever, smoking pot from time to time is not going to give your baby permanent brain damage for goodness sakes. If that was the case, just about anyone conceived during the '60s and '70s would have permanent developmental issues. Not saying that some don't, but really!

Plus, the FDA released a study back around 2000 that stated point blank that Marijuanna is NOT a gateway drug. So please don't use this as an excuse or reason.

OP - please don't be scared away by all the debate. Maybe you would like to check out this thread over in Talk Amongst Ourselves, which is very amusing!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=745061

Welcome to MDC! Don't worry, we like you! To put this in perspective, some of the mommas here don't even use soap on their nipples cause they think it can harm the baby. (Not burning, just qualifying the response & passion.)
#25 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Mamabear - Like I said above ^ I only know from what I've experienced with friends and family. I'm not talking pesticides and stuff, I'm talking paint chips, soaked in household chemicals and laced with other drugs. But even if it's 100% it's still illegal.
I understand.

It sounds like some drug dealers are scummy and do awful things with the drugs they sell because they know the consumer can't complain if they end up being poisoned by them.

All the more reason to get marijuana legalized. Legalization = more consumer protection.

So, getting back to the original question... A lactating woman smokes pot in a (hypothetical) world where it's legal and therefore regulated... The pot is 100% marijuana, in the same way a pill for Prozac is 100% Prozac...

The question in this hypothetical case is still a valid one: Is it harmful? Is it safe? How much harm, if any, would it do? Is it as safe as drinking a glass of wine, for example? Is it as harmful as smoking a tobacco cigarette?

All good questions, and it's SO hard to find a straight answer because so much propaganda is devoted to villifying marijuana use. I guess maybe the OP just wanted to know if anyone out here has smoked, has used pot and would care to share personal experiences, both good and bad...?

Just throwing that thought out there...
#26 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
It's almost as maddening as the people who say that having a beer is making your baby drunk. There isn't a direct line from my mouth to my boobs! What do you think we did before water was safe to drink? We drank wine, beer, and mead. And humans still turned out okay!
I know that my mom was told to drink beer when she was nursing me to boost milk supply. She drank it, nursed me, I burped, and she smelled beer on my breath.

She loves to tell that as a funny story, but as a nursing mom her story cautions me to consume only healthy things while I am nursing.
#27 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 07:52 PM

Mamabear
If/when pot is legalized thorough studies can be done and then we will know for sure what the effect is. I also agree that if it regulated and people can be sure that there is nothing added to it that there may not be any harm in it. What I am saying is that until the effects are actually studied thoroughly it's awefully chancy, same as any unstudied drug (legal or not). Any legal medicinal drug usually has multiple studies so that we know the posible effects of it and can make a more informed decision.
#28 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 PM

I'll pipe in w/ my conspiracy theory...

I'm sure all the proper studies exist. They just don't say what the gov't wants them to say, so we don't get to see them. now who's paranoid?
#29 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow.

First I removed the personal attacks.

Then I had to remove the personal attacks responding to the personal attacks.

Then I removed the posts that referred to other threads and forums negatively.

I'm torn between not opening this thread until I PM everyone, but honestly, I don't know if I am going to get to it tonight, so I'm going to go ahead and open it against my better judgment.

But really, if there's anymore attacking/snark/general nastiness, that's probably it for this thread, especially since it's already considerably shorter than it was before.

Please play nice, ladies. You don't have to agree, you don't have to be all sweetness and light, but just keep the User Agreement in mind:
Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Quote:
Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#30 of 111 Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Poop. I forgot to actually open it. Sorry! :

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page