Chocolate without soy? - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > Chocolate without soy?
dflanag2's Avatar dflanag2 05:57 PM 09-15-2007
One of my friends has eliminated soy from her diet for her bfing son, and she is dying for some chocolate. Do any of you know of a chocolate that exists that is soy-free--as in no soy lecithin?

Hmmmm, now that I think of it, if this chocolate exists, I will also have to get some for my friend who is deathly allergic to soy...

Thanks in advance,
-dflanag2

bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 06:15 PM 09-15-2007
I googled the other day and found some sources for soy free chocolate. There are even chocolate chips available!

woot!

http://www.allergygrocery.com/Mercha...roduct_Count=8

I think this place also has soy free, you can probably email them for information

http://www.chocosphere.com/cgi-bin/w...082_25479#cook

another place with soy free chips

http://www.choclat.com/GFCF/gfcf.php

more soy free stuff

http://www.soyfreesales.com/

Looks like soyfreesales.com has a selection of chocolate bars. Yum!

I even found a brand of soy free instant pudding mixes and some soy free bouillon cubes. There is also a brand of soy free broth. It's amazing to me how much of our food supply is contaminated with this junk.:

I've found a couple of places with lists of soy 'aliases' and it's shocking how many things it's hidden in. I've only been able to find one brand of ice cream that is soy free, as guar gum is a soy product too. :

Were you aware that most water packed tuna has soy in it? I just found that out this week and I'm extremely PO'd about it. I got an email back from Chicken of the Sea and they informed me that if I buy their low salt water packed tuna it is soy free, but the regular water packed contains soy.

Celifbr bouillon cubes are soy free, kitchen basics broth is soy free, Ghiridelli cocoa and ONLY the 4oz unsweetened baking bar are soy free, but they are processed in a plant on the same line where soy products are run so they may not be safe for the allergic friend. Organic Horizons bouillon cubes are soy free. Land o Lakes butter is soy free, but some butters have 'natural ingredients' added which are soy! GRRRRR! Most, but not all MSG is from soy, and the same is true of lecithin.

Dr. Oetker instant pudding mixes are soy free. Jello pudding is not. I can't find the link right now, but I was reading somewhere that nearly all chocolate made in the US has soy in it, but there are several brands of imported chocolate that are soy free. I'll let you know if I find the link. ETA, still didn't find it but found Domori, which is one of the soy free brands of imported chocolate you can look for.

http://www.euphoriachocolate.com/Qst...82894644&BACK=
baking chocolate has no soy, but other chocolate on their site does.

This is a pet cause of mine, I've been reading up on the FDA and the way both soy and artificial sweeteners were OK'd for general use. NOT cool.
jocelyndale's Avatar jocelyndale 07:12 PM 09-15-2007
Fortunately, a soy allergy allows one to become a chocolate snob. Soy lecithin is used as a shortcut. It's a cheat for achieving an even temper without devoting lots of time (money/staff), attention (money/staff), and cocoa butter (money) to the product.

So, soy-free chocolate is often (though not always) very good chocolate.

Michel Cluizel chocolate is soy-free.

Theo chocolate is mostly soy-free. The dark chocolate bars are excellent.

Hachez dark varieties--soy-free (read the label).

Vivani has some dark bars.

Art Bar.

Casa Don Puglisi Pure Chocolate from Modica (rustic bars with sugar crystals--great for making drinking chocolate)

365/whole foods organic imported Swiss chocolate bars (found at Whole Foods Market)

A lot of Kosher for Passover chocolate is soy-free, but not all of it. Label-reading is a must. I stock up on chocolate chips right around Passover. Otherwise, Enjoy Life Foods makes soy-free chocolate chips.

Either Hershey or Nestle has a new line of chocolatier baking chocolate things (chips, bars), but I'm not sure how the cross-contamination is.

Lindt has some dark chocolate bars. I don't care for them.

I don't trust Terra Nostra's allegedly soy-free line. I've reacted to it and the Trader Joe's stuff that looks like it. Perhaps it's a cross-contamination issue.

Baking chocolate is usually soy-free. You can make chocolate bark from it. Cocoa powder is usually okay, too. Read the labels, of course.

I'd opt for Michel Cluizel and Art Bar if she likes milk chocolate. If she likes dark, Theo and Cluizel.
dflanag2's Avatar dflanag2 12:15 AM 09-16-2007
I came to the right place! Thanks for all the suggestions, this is much more info that I could figure out using Google... I will send her to some of these sites because I know she is going nuts discovering how many foods have soy in them. She was down to about 100 lbs for a while (even her shoes were too big!) and it doesn't help that she has diabetes--diagnosed during her first pregnancy. I really admire her dedication to nursing so I am going to order her some chocolate.

Thanks again for the suggestions--also thanks for saying which you recommend, jocelyndale... I was looking at something earlier today that was quite expensive and I was thinking, "How will I know if this even TASTES decent???"

-dflanag2
wannabe's Avatar wannabe 04:58 AM 09-16-2007
Whole foods 365 brand.

And Dreyer's grand chocolate ice-cream.
bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 05:27 AM 09-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Whole foods 365 brand.

And Dreyer's grand chocolate ice-cream.
No, Dreyer's grand has guar gum and mono and diglycerides, which can all be soy. Unless you confirm with their corporate office that they get them from a different source, it's better to avoid it. So far all I've found is Breyer's all natural that does not contain soy.
Since the other sources for mono and diglycerides are more expensive than soy, it probably is soy. The same can be said for any item that contains lecithin; there are other sources, but soy is cheap and most widely used.

http://www.canadianhalalfoods.com/faq.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4620/decoder.htm
http://www.missroben.com/id876.html
http://allergyadvisor.com/hidden2.htm

If it says thickener, stabilizer, emulsifier or starch, I call or write the manufacturer and ask, or just don't buy their product.

MSG is tricky because it can be from soy or not, and since I'm not too trusting of large corporations, I avoid it. The problem with trying to avoid soy is that it is a cheap sub for more expensive ingredients, and they don't always identify it as 'soy.'
jocelyndale's Avatar jocelyndale 01:19 AM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflanag2 View Post
Thanks again for the suggestions--also thanks for saying which you recommend, jocelyndale... I was looking at something earlier today that was quite expensive and I was thinking, "How will I know if this even TASTES decent???"
My husband has blood sugar issues and really enjoys a (small) square or two of very dark chocolate, which has far less sugar than milk chocolate. He likes the Michel Cluizel specific plantation blends, Theo's darker origin bars (like the 91% Venezuelan), and Vivani's green tea bar quite a bit. We keep the Hachez strawberry-pepper dark chocolate on hand, too, because I kinda like it.

After a few years of noshing on 80%+ cacao, he now nibbles on baking chocolate (no sugar) and finds it intensely delightful. He's weird.
wannabe's Avatar wannabe 04:38 AM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
No, Dreyer's grand has guar gum and mono and diglycerides, which can all be soy. Unless you confirm with their corporate office that they get them from a different source, it's better to avoid it.
I am so incredibly happy you told me that AFTER I'd just eaten a whole tub over three days and had no reaction from her at all. Yay! I was freaked about how sensitive she is to soy lecithin, good to hear it doesn't extend that far.
bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 04:46 AM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I am so incredibly happy you told me that AFTER I'd just eaten a whole tub over three days and had no reaction from her at all. Yay! I was freaked about how sensitive she is to soy lecithin, good to hear it doesn't extend that far.
Yeah, if it's just a sensitivity and you had no reaction, yay! My thing is more a paranoia about frankenfoods and the whole lecithin thing especially. I'm all freaked about the things that aren't specifically identified as soy. And the ones that are sometimes soy and sometimes not are troubling because I don't know if that means the manufacturer alternates depending on suppliers, or what exactly?

I am getting some encouraging emails back from various corporations. Some of them have told me they will always identify soy ingredients because of the allergy factor, so that's something. I'm still incredibly pissed about that whole vegetable broth thing though.
bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 01:34 AM 09-25-2007
I found some things that were contradictory, so I did some more digging, and guar gum is NOT soy.

It apparently causes a reaction in some people with allergies so that's why it was on the list, but for people like me it's not a definite no-no.
bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 01:45 AM 09-25-2007
I found some things that were contradictory, so I did some more digging, and guar gum is NOT soy.

It apparently causes a reaction in some people with allergies so that's why it was on the list, but for people like me it's not a definite no-no.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 01:50 AM 09-25-2007
watch out for soy lecithin, often listed as lecithin.
bigeyes's Avatar bigeyes 02:21 AM 09-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
watch out for soy lecithin, often listed as lecithin.
I hate that. I've got oil sprayers and am compulsive about reading labels. I've managed to find recipes for nearly every processed food staple that I could want and they're better when I make them myself anyway. No PAM, no cake mixes, no bisquick, no pancake mix, no bread mixes. It's not necessary at all.

Of course, DH and the kids eat soy filled oreos. : Luckily, I don't like them. (the cookies, not the people. )
Up