Mothering Forum banner

Question about nursing a toddler with tummy virus

482 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SunnyDayz 
#1 ·
My 14 month old Dd started throwing up last night. She couldn't keep anything down... food, water, breastmilk. She slept really well though and nursed once during the night (she sometimes nurses 2-3 times a night). She woke up and nursed and moments later vomited again.
Poor baby.

All morning had been like that... nurse, drink water, eat applesauce, throw up. No matter what was in her (sometimes nothing) and she'd throw up. We called the Dr. and the nurse (finally) called us back and said to give her nothing by mouth except pedialyte. No food, water, juice, breastmilk (

Has anyone ever been through this? Dd has no fever, no diarhea (except one loose diaper) and doesn't seem to have a loss of appetite. We got the pedialyte (thankfully they make an unflavored/unsweetened one) and she drank a whole 2 oz. she wants to nurse though.

See less See more
#4 ·
Give nothing by mouth except breastmilk! Even though she may throw up she will still absorb some. You can nurse five minutes, rest fifteen and nurse five and follow this pattern for awhile if she will tolerate it. Or try block feeding on one breast for a few hours at a time, again if she will tolerate it. Just to slow her down a bit. Or just let her set her own pattern.

When she is ready she will ask for other fluids/soft foods.

I have been through this for days with much older children and they do not dehydrate on breastmilk if allowed free access round the clock to the breast.

#5 ·
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

The above link has some good info on vomiting, and also on breastmilk versus Pedialyte. Pedialyte has no nutritional value, it's just water, sugar and electrolytes. Breastmilk has all the electrolytes your baby needs along with all the wonderful immune factors that will help her get better faster (not to mention the comfort factor). Breastmilk is digested so quickly that even if she's vomiting soon after nursing, she will retain some of it.
I hope your little one is feeling better soon!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoyfulMom View Post
NURSE! That is still the best thing for her.

I hope she feels better soon!
Thank you! I ended up just nursing her anyway.
I couldn't not do it... She is feeling better so far, she only threw up once in the last 8 hours or so.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
Aww poor V

Just nurse. Nix the pedialyte.
That's a lot of puking and it sounds like food poisoning to me.
Thank you... V nixed the pedialyte herself, she literally threw the thing across the room...
. I ended up nursing her anyway. She is feeling better so far. We have an apt. in the morning wiht the emergency weekend office through our Family Dr. so we will see what they say. I thought about the food poisoning too, but she ate the exact same things I ate and I feel fine
:

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
Give nothing by mouth except breastmilk! Even though she may throw up she will still absorb some. You can nurse five minutes, rest fifteen and nurse five and follow this pattern for awhile if she will tolerate it. Or try block feeding on one breast for a few hours at a time, again if she will tolerate it. Just to slow her down a bit. Or just let her set her own pattern.

When she is ready she will ask for other fluids/soft foods.

I have been through this for days with much older children and they do not dehydrate on breastmilk if allowed free access round the clock to the breast.
Thank you for the info! I actually let her nurse for a really long time on one side. She drank pretty quickly and then comfort nursed for a looong time. She was so happy.

I was nursing her all morning amidst the vomitig and she was showing sings of dehydration though... no tears, lethargy, dry lips etc. that's what prompted me to call the Dr. again. Once she stopped thowing up so much she started to feel better. I do really feel that she needed to nurse thoug so it surprised me to hear that the nurse said not to. I did anyway though... I just couldn't deprive her, especially since she wanted to nurse and let me know it!

#9 ·
My ped said to BF for 5 minutes only. Then wait 30 minutes. If she doesn't vomit again, BF again. If she does vomit, wait 30 minutes and BF again for 5 minutes. Continue the pattern until she is able to keep it down for 30 minutes. Then BF as long as she wants and we can both fall asleep.

I'm sorry your ped said to give Pedialyte. That stinks.
:

Hope your babe is better soon.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeysRUs View Post
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

The above link has some good info on vomiting, and also on breastmilk versus Pedialyte. Pedialyte has no nutritional value, it's just water, sugar and electrolytes. Breastmilk has all the electrolytes your baby needs along with all the wonderful immune factors that will help her get better faster (not to mention the comfort factor). Breastmilk is digested so quickly that even if she's vomiting soon after nursing, she will retain some of it.
I hope your little one is feeling better soon!
Wow, thank you for the great link!! Thankfully she only threw up once in the last 8 hours, so I think she is feeling better, and she still wants to nurse, so I have been nursing her anyway (despite what the nurse said). She didn't show any signs of a decreased appetite, that's for sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.