Is/why my supply dropping & what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't exactly have concrete evidence for this suspicion, so bear with me. I feel like my supply is dropping or is somehow inadequate. DD is 8 months old, and we've had a pretty stable bfing relationship. I've definitely had more issues with oversupply than under.

But, recently I feel like my supply is dropping because a) dd finishes both breasts very quickly and seems to still be hungry, even though there's nothing left (I can tell because it starts to get painful for me), b) I never feel "full" anymore even when dd sleeps longer than usual at night (we cosleep and she nurses about 1 time per night - not a full session though, just a little bit of sucking and then back to sleep), c) when I pump at work I keep getting less and less.

I'm not sick, I've been drinking lots of water, and when I'm away for work (about 5 hour stretches is the longest time I'm gone), I pump once. I'm most concerned that dd still seems hungry after eating. She's still producing enough diapers, but I feel like she still wants something when she's done nursing. I do offer solids once a day - some purees (please no flames) and some self-feeding and she's only just starting to get interested. She doesn't really eat though... Oh, and she doesn't take a pacifier or bottle. (She drinks from a cup while I'm gone.)

So I guess what I want to know is this - am I imagining this? If not, what can/should I do and why is this happening?
#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 AM

is she teething? also i think that there is susposed to be a growth spurt soon...also as babies gain skills they sometime will change nursing habits...just keep nursing her when she eants it..it will be fine
#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 AM

Hi y'all, I was an LLLeader for several years. Babies cry for many reasons, but all too often it is blamed on lack of milk, which is rarely the actual case. The number of wet diapers produced is a better measure of baby's intake than is fussiness/crying. Even if you are getting a little sore, keep nursing! Remember too that as baby gets older, his/her "skill" at nursing increases, and so may go through your supply that much faster. Your body will catch up, and it doesn't take much time at all. If babe's appetite drops off in the near future, you might consider pumping a little for some backup. BUT remember that every bottle baby drinks is that much less milk production-stimulation. Hang in there! Also, some moms have had good results by supplementing their diet with Brewer's yeast. Good Luck!
laoxinat
#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Lots of info.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page